PDA

View Full Version : Standin on a corner in Winslow Arizona...

k7mto
08-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Actually, I'll be :drummer: on a stage :fashizzle:

A friends band booked this gig some time ago but lost their drummer, so they asked me to sit in for them. I've subbed with them before so I know most of their stuff well.

The Standin on the Corner Festival (http://www.standinonthecorner.com/index2.htm) is a pretty big event here in AZ, drawing upwards of 10,000 people from around the world. This is their 10th year.

There is also a slim chance I can book my own band into another open slot, but I won't know about that until later in the week.

If anyone wants to get out of the heat, come on up to Winslow for this kick-*** weekend festival!!

RubiJk
08-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Winslow is pretty fun to hang out at. Good people watching...

But, it really isnt such a fine sight to see like the Eagles say!

Stickbuddy
08-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Winslow is pretty fun to hang out at. Good people watching...

But, it really isnt such a fine sight to see like the Eagles say!

The "sight" the Eagles were talkin' bout was "a girl my Lord in a flatbed Ford, slowin' down to take a look at me"; now given that was 1972 (many, many years before you were probably even born), I will concede, that she may not be "such a fine sight to see" nowadays. :)

By the way, Congrats K7mto!!!! Nice gig!

k7mto
08-14-2008, 12:34 AM
The "sight" the Eagles were talkin' bout was "a girl my Lord in a flatbed Ford, slowin' down to take a look at me"; now given that was 1972 (many, many years before you were probably even born), I will concede, that she may not be "such a fine sight to see" nowadays. :)

Thanks, stickbuddy!

I'm really looking forward to it and I hope some of my friends here can make the trip up, if not to see us, to see Mogollon and Hotel California. They both put on a great show!

knockonit
08-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Heheh
spent a life time one nite in winslow, if one drinks enough there are lots of sites.

musicbis
08-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Sounds like fun. I am looking into room availabilty for that week end. Might be going. Not sure yet. I do know the guy's in Mogollon, nice bunch of guy's with a good show. Hey. If you need a sound guy let me know, that's what I do.

RubiJk
08-14-2008, 09:23 AM

Now, now... its not like I'm fresh out of college. I wish I was as young as you make me sound. I had vinyl, 8 track, saw the Eagles in concert even, and know their songs well. I was 1 then and 37 now. Not quite a pup anymore... :disappointed:

This event might be a really good time. I dig Mogollon and have seen them a few times. Mostly when they do their regular gig at AZ Bike Week. Wouldnt mind checking out your ban K7MTO. Good luck and have fun...

chopped7
08-14-2008, 10:34 AM
i won't be there but have fun and 'take it easy'. :drummer:

RubiJk
08-14-2008, 10:37 AM
i won't be there but have fun and 'take it easy'. :drummer:

...and watch out for those "witchy women!" :drummer:

k7mto
08-14-2008, 10:40 AM
This event might be a really good time. I dig Mogollon and have seen them a few times. Mostly when they do their regular gig at AZ Bike Week. Wouldnt mind checking out your ban K7MTO. Good luck and have fun...

Currently, my band isn't booked for this festival, I'm just playing with a friends band. But, if I can work it out, our band will get booked too.

If you want to see my band, we'll be at Club Red this Saturday night from 8:30-9:15 (just one set). Let me know if you want to come and I'll leave tickets for you at will-call (let me know how many).

musicbis - we'd love a sound guy, but until we start raking in more money, we can't afford to split the pay more than we already do between the 5 of us). If you'd like to run sound for us sometime pro bono, let me know ;)

RubiJk
08-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Club Red is a cool dive bar. Do you know the band Crushed? They play there from time to time... good friends of mine.

Dont know that I can pull off Sat night... I'd really like to squeeze in a night run since I havent been out in 2 weeks. Thanks for the offer, and I'll get back to you if plans change.

allek@t
08-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Where is club red?

k7mto
08-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Where is club red?

SW corner of University and the 101. Very close to Hunter's shop.

Club Red
2155 E University Dr
Tempe, Arizona 85281
http://www.myspace.com/clubredlive
(480) 966-4733

mingoglia
08-14-2008, 11:52 AM
musicbis - we'd love a sound guy, but until we start raking in more money, we can't afford to split the pay more than we already do between the 5 of us). If you'd like to run sound for us sometime pro bono, let me know ;)

I know how hard it is to make any money playing small gigs in a band. I've been playing Rock Band the last few weekends with my cousins and some nights we only make $15. Heck, it took forever for us to score our first jet to start touring oversees. Us musicians have it rough. I know *exactly* what you're going through. BTW, I play a killer Enter Sandman on the drums. :drummer: :fashizzle: :smug:

k7mto
08-14-2008, 11:52 AM
We're still working on the jet thing. And Rock Band is evil.

Stickbuddy
08-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Sounds like fun. I am looking into room availabilty for that week end. Might be going. Not sure yet. I do know the guy's in Mogollon, nice bunch of guy's with a good show. Hey. If you need a sound guy let me know, that's what I do.

Hey Musicbis, PM me your phone number, I have a thing coming up October 12th and will be needing someone to run the board. Do you have a snake?

mingoglia
08-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Hey Musicbis, PM me your phone number, I have a thing coming up October 12th and will be needing someone to run the board. Do you have a snake?

How about a two headed snake?

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_02/snakeAP_468x351.jpg

allek@t
08-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Thats gross ewewewewewe

*jumps up and down like a little girl*

Stickbuddy
08-14-2008, 02:44 PM
How about a two headed snake?

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_02/snakeAP_468x351.jpg

Nice, is that yours?

Actually a 16/24 channel snake was what I meant; but you knew that didn't you!?!?:)

k7mto
08-14-2008, 02:47 PM
If he doesn't, I can ask my guitarist if you can borrow ours (24 channel).

Where/when are you playing? I'll try and come out and support you.

Stickbuddy
08-14-2008, 04:34 PM
If he doesn't, I can ask my guitarist if you can borrow ours (24 channel).

Where/when are you playing? I'll try and come out and support you.

We're doing a thing for the 16th Street Merchants Association on the 12th of October. It's going to be outside in front of the old Basha's store (which is now empty) on the southwest corner of 16th St. and Bethany Home from noon to five.

My group will be myself, Joel Dowling on Bass, Billy Parker on mandolin and Mike Breen on B-bender Tele. Good solid Country - Country/Rock with a little Bluegrass thrown in. I've played with a lot of guys and on their respective instruments Billy and Mike are the best I've ever heard, PERIOD! It's worth it coming just to hear the two of them pick. I'll probably post it up a week or so before the gig. They also have a j*** combo booked and some other stuff. I told them I'd help arrange the sound, I've already talked to a couple of guys and with what they have and what I have we're pretty well set; I just wanted to talk to Musicbis and see where he's coming from. I haven't hired anyone yet.

It's a family oriented deal, the Mayor is supposed to be there (so I'm definately wearing my "Go Joe" t-shirt), they'll have clowns to entertain the kids, a Blue Bell Ice Cream eating contest, the fire and police departments are going to put on demonstrations; that kind of stuff.

It would be great to see you, or anyone, on the forum for that matter!

joedokes28
08-14-2008, 05:51 PM
That's a mile from my house. I'll be there.

k7mto
08-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Sounds cool. I'll do my best to show up.

You might post up a Jeep Show/M&G if there is enough parking lot space for it. I did that for a show we did in Chandler and it had a decent response.

k7mto
09-10-2008, 12:14 AM
bump for stickbuddy's show this Friday...

Anyone in the area of 16th St. and Bethany Home, go see stickbuddy's band!!

And come on up to Winslow to see me on 9/26 ;)

k7mto
09-19-2008, 01:03 PM
bump for the folks up north or anyone who wants to come up to Winslow for the festival.
It's gonna be big!!