PDA

View Full Version : OH boy new diesel products

knockonit
08-11-2008, 04:24 PM
The new jojoba bean, hehehe, another natures answer to our problemo.
yeah right.
Wonder how many government grants are gonna end up on this one???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatropha_oil

RubiJk
08-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Warning: I smoked some of that Jatropha Oil once back in college... its bad news!

knockonit
08-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Warning: I smoked some of that Jatropha Oil once back in college... its bad news!

Ahhh, i see the problem now
:aagh:

Jdemonto
08-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Seems that Diesels run on just about anything

Jason

Howyadoin
08-11-2008, 07:42 PM

Me too, but I did not inhale!:smug:

danno
08-12-2008, 04:48 PM
I am trying to figure out where the problem is...

A renewable fuel source that can go straight into the tank from extraction with no refining, that yields several times more than current biofuel sources (which do require refining) and does not disrupt food supply (like corn and soy), and can be grown in arid environments (even the AZ desert)

Seems like a worthwhile investigation to me...

Am I missing something?

knockonit
08-12-2008, 05:09 PM
I am trying to figure out where the problem is...

A renewable fuel source that can go straight into the tank from extraction with no refining, that yields several times more than current biofuel sources (which do require refining) and does not disrupt food supply (like corn and soy), and can be grown in arid environments (even the AZ desert)

Seems like a worthwhile investigation to me...

Am I missing something?

Nothing until they start ripping out natural growth to grow this plant in mass.
If remember correctly one full grown plant will yield one gallon of usable product a year. I'm not a math whiz, someone can surely figure this out, then of course after a few years we will have mass plant failure due to genetic foolishness or mother nature will just play one of its grand plans on us and finally allow us to benefit from the error or our ways for using a product that has no long term research done in regards to what it will do to the area its grown in, in mass, and the long term effect of emissions while using this product,
Gee didn't everyone jump on the corn and bean wagon, here we go again.
just my opinion.

danno
08-12-2008, 06:22 PM
One gallon per plant per year... Hmm... I had heard different numbers.

I think I had heard conservatively something like 3-5 tons per hectare per year... Depending on the size and maturity of the plants, maybe on gallon per plant per year might be right for the first year. But still that several times better than what corn yields...

Heck, I am all for investigating into anything and everything that can be produced locally as a substitute for our oil habit... They more options are looked at, the more likely we are to come up with alternatives.