PDA

View Full Version : It was NOT pretty

SavageSun4x4
07-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Sunday, corner of Cactus and Frank Lloyd Wright. Guy on a motorcycle (Kawasaki) was traveling S/E on FLW. A van (neighbor) was heading N on FLW and then making a left (W) turn. She had 3 kids in the car around 10 or so.

Wife and I were also S/E on FLW. Guess I do not need to say much more as you guys on the cycles know what happened. The van turned left in front of the cycle.

Cycle and rider hit the van in the right rear quarter panel...hard enough that the van did a 360 and peeled the LEFT rear tire off the rim. The cycle rider had on a pair of black with Kawasaki green laced up sneakers. The were across FLW on the other side of the road and across the intersection.

I do not know the outcome BUT I talked asked the police why they blocked off all access to the intersection in all directions since it was trafficable. He told me they do they when it is considered a 'crime scene' this led me to believe that the guy died at the scene. It was clear where he HIT the side of the van with his body. all that was left of the cycle was a motor and a rear tire.

PLEASE RIDE SAFE ESPECIALLY IN SCOTTSDALE!!!!!!!

Jdemonto
07-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Its very dangerous here in town to drive a cycle..Be safe and don't speed

Jason

offroadaz
07-21-2008, 03:07 PM
ugh sounds like a mess

I always try to give bikes an extra 3 or 4 car lengths when Im around them

allek@t
07-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Oh man! How is your neighbor doing?

I hope the rider is ok. Its so sad to hear of things like this. Riders and Drivers alike need to pay attention.

Wind_Danzer
07-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Sounds like the rider was going way to fast and the driver didn't pay attention either.

Dumb, dumb, dumb....

allek@t
07-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Not necessarily.

Impact points can cause things like that to happen as well. Right moment and the right spot.

AZLugz
07-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Sounds like the van driver needed to be a bit more focused on her driving.....the bike too, sad, real sad

neZZr
07-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Same thing happened about 100ft down the street from where I work just a couple weeks ago. 91 year old lady turned in front of a guy on a bike. He hit her front fender, destroying the bike, trashing the front of the car, and killed the bike rider. Sad.

SavageSun4x4
07-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Sounds like the van driver needed to be a bit more focused on her driving.....the bike too, sad, real sad
I was standing there as the police were talking to her and her story was a little weak...first she said they she did not see the cycle, then she said she saw him and he was going 75 MPH.

I DOUBT that 1 out of 10,000 drivers could see a lone vehicle going down a road and come within 20 mph either way of how fast the vehicle was traveling. Let alone some woman driving a van full of kids.

RandyT
07-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Awww Man. That sucks!