PDA

View Full Version : Who does kill switches?

atfsux
07-10-2008, 10:47 AM
4 years ago, when I first got my Cherokee, there was a VJC member who worked at Fry's Electronics (Thunderbird store) in the stereo installation area who hooked up my secret kill switch for only $35!

I've now acquired a Comanche as well, and went by there to see if he still worked there. I couldn't even remember his name, but what the heck, right?
Sure enough, he don't work there no more.

So who here can quote me a good price on setting up a disguised kill switch? (The last one was the driver's map light.) I'm in Surprise.

katvans
07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
PM Wayco

tywilson88
07-10-2008, 12:43 PM
ORI will put a switch in for ya.

Wayco
07-11-2008, 03:29 PM
I have done quite a few kill switches, but never for money. It's a simple mod, especially if you have a TJ or XJ. Let me know what your jeep is and we can "get er done".

TERRIERjeep
07-11-2008, 10:15 PM
just to clarify: what is a kill switch? is it a button hidden under the dash where you turn the key then hit the button to start it? or is that something different?

1BDRUBI
07-11-2008, 10:35 PM
I have done quite a few kill switches, but never for money. It's a simple mod, especially if you have a TJ or XJ. Let me know what your jeep is and we can "get er done".

wayco you have mail

atfsux
07-12-2008, 06:10 PM
just to clarify: what is a kill switch? is it a button hidden under the dash where you turn the key then hit the button to start it? or is that something different?

A kill switch is a separate connection that must be made for the ignition circuit to conect and turn the engine over. Unless the extra circuit is closed, the engine will crank and crank and crank,...but it won't catch.

On the one I had done to my Cherokee,...the fellow disguised it by linking it with my map light. Unless I turn on my driver's side map light, the engine won't start. After it is started, I can turn off the map light and drive with no problems. Thus,..even if someone busted my steering column open and tried to bypass the key mechanizm,...it won't matter. The vehicle isn't going anywhere without a tow.

TERRIERjeep
07-13-2008, 12:54 AM
thanks man, i have a button to press after turning the key.

BrewSwapGuy
07-15-2008, 11:39 AM
In my old Camaro I had a push button beneath the floor carpet behind the brake pedal. stepped on it when i got out and in in order to start the car. Totally forgot about that until I saw this thread.

My Green Jeep
07-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Joe at Absolute Offroad sells the Master Lock Starter Sentry...
runs around $109 (before tax) you can install yourself, no tools
needed :)

Hulkster
07-19-2008, 01:04 AM
Wayco pmed me the instructions on how to do it and now i have a kill switch that works great for less than $10. my jeep will start with the kill switch on but will stall out within 3 seconds. i really don't think its going anywhere unless they push it or put it on a trailer, then nothing is gunna stop them except maybe a boot! ah ha GREAT IDEA... lets get jeep boots for all the wheels hahaha

aszaunmi
07-21-2008, 02:17 AM
I killed me a few switches back in the day. I finally got a few mounted. They look great next to my Deer and Elk mounts. Boy do I miss Switch hunting.

Just kidding, glad to hear you got your kill switch working.

azorr
08-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone have instructions on putting a kill switch in a YJ, specifically a 95 4 cyl, that they could send me?

ShmUDE
08-04-2008, 02:53 PM
pm sent.

Erich
08-08-2008, 12:53 AM
Just did one in my brothers 06 TJ. Took 15 minutes and 10 dollars. Anyone who dosent have one really dosent have an excuse. This is the cheapist/easiest upgrade out there.

Bighitter
08-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Hi, first off great site with a lot of good information. I am just getting back into Jeeps and just picked up a 05 TJ Unlimited. The first thing I wanted to do was to install a kill switch but had a few questions.

On my CJ5, I had one of the red key battery disconnects hidden and that worked fine but if I go that route I will have to reprogram the radio every time I flip the switch or key. I also have the Sentry Key security feature and want to make sure that still works and of course I want to keep the radio presets if possible. Any help and suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Hulkster
08-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Hey BigHitter Pm Wayco he has a great writeup on kill switches. i used his directions and had mine in my 05 TJ in less than 25 mins. really easy and cheap. Hopefully we will see you out on the trails! :aagh:

Bighitter
08-10-2008, 04:40 AM
Thanks Hulkster, I just sent Wayco a PM.

SNAKE
08-16-2008, 01:48 AM
ORI will put a switch in for ya.

Does this kill switch kill your starter or something else?

let me know because im interested

stevekim7d2
09-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Kill switches really are great because they will let the vehicle turn over but not start, and from the law enforcement aspect, they will get get the crap out of there if the vehicle dosen't start immediatly. There is too much of a risk trying to steal a vehicle that is not starting outside a someone's home.

Erich
09-13-2008, 04:02 PM
I tried doing a kill switch workshop a few months ago, but no one showed.
If anyone wants help doing a kill switch, just let me know. Im free (literally) every Saturday. Im usually doing something to my Jeep in the garage at that time anyways, so would be more than happy to help keep my friends (or you..lol) Jeep safe, no charge.
Just PM me..

honaker
09-24-2008, 08:51 AM
A belated public thanks to Wayco! If I could only remember that I have cut off the fuel pump a little quicker instead of wondering "why don't she start?"* I did the Denver jeep back in July and plan to do the AZ jeep in a few weeks.

*From Dances with Coyotes

Mule skinner stirring up the arrow riddled bones of some pioneer while commenting "folks back home wondering why don't she write?"