Jdemonto
06-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Which dual sports are the best for DD?

Bmw F 650GS

Kawasaki KLR 650

KTM LC4 640

Honda XR650L

Suzuki DR650SE

I am leaning twards the KLR 650 for the bigger gas tank (6.4g) and price, The BMW is the first choice, but is $3K more than the KLR

Bilt4Comfort
06-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Which dual sports are the best for DD?

Bmw F 650GS

Kawasaki KLR 650

KTM LC4 640

Honda XR650L

Suzuki DR650SE

I am leaning twards the KLR 650 for the bigger gas tank (6.4g) and price, The BMW is the first choice, but is $3K more than the KLR

You're asking the question on the wrong board.

Ask here. www.ridingarizona.com

Jdemonto
06-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Hey this is a motorcycle forum!

Jason

Bilt4Comfort
06-26-2008, 07:56 PM
OK...good luck. If you want insight from a large group with knowledge, sign up.

terron gregg
06-26-2008, 08:00 PM
jason joes got a point it is a good site with useful info my opinion is.;.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............RIDE RED

ROCRWLR
06-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Possibly getting the line up of KTM's soon. I'll let you know how I like the Dual Sport.

Bilt4Comfort
06-26-2008, 08:57 PM
I posted it over there for you bish.

tj jockey
06-27-2008, 01:56 AM
i love ktm's and yamaha for trail riding and dirt but the bmw's are brilliant on road...IMO. depends what your going to be riding most then make your decision... if it is a long term purchase i would go the bmw for comfort reasons however it will come down to your $$$$'s and lifestyle ect... a $3000 different buys you alot of nice bike riding gear or lot and lots and lots of petrol for it.

Jdemonto
06-27-2008, 02:27 AM
I found a nice site www.klr650.net

Jason

don_tlr
06-27-2008, 08:29 AM
It depends on where most of your riding will be. If its mostly street than the Beemer hands down. Bought a Dakar for the wife in Seattle and rode it back to Colorado, its a great bike and I had a blast on that ride. We got it so she could tag along with me on my Adventure.

For a bare bones good mix you just can beat a KLR and they're everywhere and the design has barely changed in years. I rode one down to Baja that I borrowed and it really is a great all around bike and much cheaper than the Dakar.

My XR650R was much better for an 80/20 more dirt oriented bike.

There is no better forum than

http://www.advrider.com/

There are people from all over the world here and some fantastic trip reports.

AZLugz
06-27-2008, 09:21 AM
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41

Expedition Portal has a great area for expedition rides and a dual sport falls in that catagory. Give it a look, great site.

Joe West
06-27-2008, 09:47 AM
I say... stick with the BMW :)
(perhaps because I own one and love it? )

Joe

Henthorn
06-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Jason

The BMW 650 GS is going to be one nice bike for you. If at all possible try to find the Dakar model.

You should be tied in a three way between the BMW, a KTM and the KLR(KIller).

All are going to be simple to work on, with the bmw as the most simple. There are BMW's with over 200k miles on the original engines (gotta love oil cooled boxer engines) You would be surprised as well about parts availibility of the BMW's. Any BMW dealership can get parts in the next business day. But all this comes at a cost. Walk over to northsight blvd by the scottsdale gun club to the BMW dealership to check out some of their bikes---I almost bought a BMW R1200 GS Adventure from them last year before I deployed.

The KTM is going to be just as awesome, but can be more expensive and more of a hassle to get part for. this was why they decided NOT to use KTM's for the series "LONG WAY DOWN" and "LONG WAY ROUND" by the way---IF you have a chance to read either of those books you most definatley should!

the killer is also an awesome bike. not as strong as the bmw in some aspects as far as engine reliability(very long term im talking about) but the parts are easy to find as well.

With what you are going to be doing, I would say the BMW is the way to go. Add a couple of touratec accessories to it and it will be a great daily commuter/off road bike.

Note: Due to them being dual sports--do not expect them to have the same performance as a moto-x bike offroad. They wont.

Either way you should spring for the ARAI XD helmet or for a little more $$ the BMW Enduro helmet.

Just think--you could ride along with some jeeps offroad while looking like the Master Chief from HALO.... :fashizzle: :aagh:

Bilt4Comfort
06-27-2008, 07:51 PM
http://www.ridingarizona.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33005

Jdemonto
06-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys!! I like the dakar and 2007 was the last year! Jim, our parts manager owns one! He tells me that its not worth the extra $3K price tag and that the KLR is every bit of a good bike. I am just thinking of this, not sure what the wife might think because I have not mentioned this at all.:drummer:

Ps. I owned a honda 100 when I was 12 and had been riding atv's since 7. This is not all that new, Dodging cars on the hwy is!

Jason

tpuckett
06-27-2008, 09:20 PM
not one of your picks but i just bought the 09 kawasaki klx 250s for my commute (60 miles round trip) 60 miles to the gal. great little bike

Jdemonto
06-27-2008, 09:23 PM
not one of your picks but i just bought the 09 kawasaki klx 250s for my commute (60 miles round trip) 60 miles to the gal. great little bike

I thought about the KLX 250, is that enough power for the freeway??

What kind of deal did you get and where did you buy?

The Msrp is only $800 less

Jason

Henthorn
06-27-2008, 11:04 PM
In my expirience.. MOST 250cc's have just enough power to get you on the highway, but not enough power to get you out of trouble if you get in it.

tpuckett
06-28-2008, 07:51 AM
true it will hit 70 but that is it i do'nt have any freeway to worry about just 2 lane. i tend to cruse at 60 just fine. i bought local in the wht.mtns. list price was just under 5000.00, just 69.00 a month for 2 years then you start paying for the loan. the gas savings not driving the jeep is making extra payments.if i could do it over i would get something a little bigger just for that reason freeway driving at speed. ride safe

Jdemonto
06-28-2008, 08:09 AM
true it will hit 70 but that is it i do'nt have any freeway to worry about just 2 lane. i tend to cruse at 60 just fine. i bought local in the wht.mtns. list price was just under 5000.00, just 69.00 a month for 2 years then you start paying for the loan. the gas savings not driving the jeep is making extra payments.if i could do it over i would get something a little bigger just for that reason freeway driving at speed. ride safe

Just my same reasoning!

Jason

TinyMan
06-28-2008, 10:18 PM
I was in the same boat as you awhile ago, but just with my size and how I was going to use it. I wanted something with an enigne larger than a 1000 and be a dual sport so after looking around and test driving I ended up with BMW R1200GS, if you wait a couple of months, the new F800GS is going to be released just another bike to consider. I'm with Joe, gotta love the horizontally opposed boxer engine.

BKNROKS
12-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Silly me, this post is so old you're probably not even looking anymore. If you are, call me and you can see mine :)

allek@t
12-03-2008, 02:06 PM
KTM RC8 FTW!

I would shoot for a KTM.

terron gregg
12-03-2008, 02:13 PM
dude theres a ktm 520 super motard style on craigslist (type in cant gice it a way but dam near ) in the search dudes asking like 2800 bucks if you plan on riding in the dirt sell the slicks and get some dual tires me personally im a honda guy though the ktms are awesome too though