PDA

View Full Version : Does everyone lock....

AZG23
06-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Their steering wheel..?? I always make it a point to...but I know others that dont..

So...DO YOU? and do you think it can make a difference..?

I normally have the wheels turned also...so it cant be rolled straight.

Whats yer opinion..?? Another layer of security, or rediculous?

sms1688
06-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Their steering wheel..?? I always make it a point to...but I know others that dont..

So...DO YOU? and do you think it can make a difference..?

I normally have the wheels turned also...so it cant be rolled straight.

Whats yer opinion..?? Another layer of security, or rediculous?

******ed!!!!!!!! They will steal it if they want it. I just say make it as hard as possible. So any level of add security is worth it. Except that dumb crap you suggested:smug::smug::smug:

All Kidding aside any thing that makes the theif take more time the less likely hood he will attempt to steal it. there are plenty of other jeeps that dont have any security.

AZG23
06-16-2008, 04:42 PM
LOL...we todd id.....

Im just wondering how many leave it loose...

Jdemonto
06-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I am sure everything "works"..My jeep spends its time in a gated community and locked up in my garage. I figure if they steel it they get a "E" for Effort:drummer:

Jason

sms1688
06-16-2008, 04:43 PM
LOL...we todd id.....

Im just wondering how many leave it loose...

I dont leave it loos I like when its tight.

Then again most people wouldnt be able to drive my jeep on the street. My whole complex thing my jeep is broke cause the tire squel on every turn damn spool

jpotts
06-16-2008, 04:43 PM
I don't. It's a good idea, but I don't drive mine on the street anymore. I was planning on getting a lock before I decided to stop driving it.

AZG23
06-16-2008, 04:46 PM
I am sure everything "works"..My jeep spends its time in a gated community and locked up in my garage. I figure if they steel it they get a "E" for Effort:drummer:

Jason

Exactly....but there are still those of us that DD our Jeep...more directed to them...or if you take it for a ride to the store, or like Paul, who takes his to the MALL. :aagh:

Maybe more directed at those who DD, and or have to leave it out...mines locked in a garage at night...switched and dog guarded with a 5.56 backup plan. :smug:

My Green Jeep
06-16-2008, 04:47 PM
I make sure mine is locked... with the alarm on... with the
clutch locked...

but... I dont have My Green Jeep for the next few days :bigcry:

AZG23
06-16-2008, 04:48 PM
I make sure mine is locked... with the alarm on... with the
clutch locked...

Good point....Ive been wanting to get the clutch lock for some time for when the top is off...add that with the kill switch and it makes it pretty secure to losing it.

Jdemonto
06-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Exactly....but there are still those of us that DD our Jeep...more directed to them...or if you take it for a ride to the store, or like Paul, who takes his to the MALL. :aagh:

Maybe more directed at those who DD, and or have to leave it out...mines locked in a garage at night...switched and dog guarded with a 5.56 backup plan. :smug:

I drive mine a few times a month and soon as I sell the VW its back to a DD!!

I never drive my Jeep to bad areas of town and never to large shopping areas or strip malls ETC..thats where the most theft occurs. In north scottsdale its pretty safe and I always park it where there is a lot of foot traffic

Jason

My Green Jeep
06-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Good point....Ive been wanting to get the clutch lock for some time for when the top is off...add that with the kill switch and it makes it pretty secure to losing it.

Brad... just make sure that you watch how you handle the stupid lock
I pulled it out of My Green Jeep to put it in the rental and it snagged my
index finger...

nasty blood blister on it and it hurts :bigcry:

SHNIPE
06-16-2008, 05:00 PM
My jeeps outside, key in it with no locks, top or anything.. no ones stolen it yet... wonder why?

AZG23
06-16-2008, 05:02 PM
My jeeps outside, key in it with no locks, top or anything.. no ones stolen it yet... wonder why?

LOL...:confused:

ROKBITR
06-16-2008, 05:59 PM

You must just be the luckiest Jeep owner in the world.......or maybe.......:)

What companies make a removable steering wheel for Jeeps?

Digger
06-16-2008, 06:04 PM
I used to do this, but the thing is so bulky and if they want your jeep they will just cut the steering wheel. I depend on my kill switch, which I use always.

LJYJ
06-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Audio express and chronic car audio sell "two way car alarms" If you look in the (NEW TIME'S) I have seen them as low as $99.00.! this is THE BEST thing you can do because the theif has no idea that you are being paged! at that point. You know that your silent alarm is going off and then YOU CAN DECIDE what to do next>>> :operator::argue::donatello::batman::ph34r::2guns: :policeman: :Mr-T: I PITTY DA FOOL!
"EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE THIS"

arczech
06-16-2008, 06:32 PM
X3 on all comments. Ours is a DD and equipped with "kill switch, Lojak, Garage at home with dogs and 44mag reasons not to try and get it" If anyone wnts any vehicle they will find a way to do so.

AZG23
06-16-2008, 07:35 PM
I used to do this, but the thing is so bulky and if they want your jeep they will just cut the steering wheel. I depend on my kill switch, which I use always.

Not talking about locking the wheel with a club type lock...I meant with the factory steering lock..

Clay
06-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Not sure what the factory steering lock is, but I do use the club at nights, alarm with kill switch, kill switch, key with resistor and I leave the doors unlocked because I have the safari top on and would rather it not be cut.

AZG23
06-16-2008, 08:36 PM
its where you rotate the steering wheel til it locks..

Clay
06-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Nah, I don't do that. Makes it tough to turn the key when I get in the jeep.

jpotts
06-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Not talking about locking the wheel with a club type lock...I meant with the factory steering lock..

I guess I answered the wrong question too - but, no, I don't do that either. Probably should though.

brian lujan
06-17-2008, 10:15 AM
what about a lockable pin like a hitch lock threw the steering shaft in the steering column?

AZG23
06-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Jeeps have a built in lock folks...most Ive seen (mine included) have to be rotated with the wheel upside down for some reason...

TWSTDTJ
06-17-2008, 02:08 PM
I just take mine off. Problem is remembering where I put it or when Mish hides it.

AZG23
06-17-2008, 02:10 PM
I just take mine off. Problem is remembering where I put it or when Mish hides it.

LOL...whats up bro....

I heard Mish like to "hide" things....steering wheels, sausages...where the heck is he lately..?

sms1688
06-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Jeeps have a built in lock folks...most Ive seen (mine included) have to be rotated with the wheel upside down for some reason...

Your just talking crazy there is no built in lock your junk is all messed up........

Thats funny right there. Mine isnt upside down but you do have to rotate slightly from top center

AZG23
06-17-2008, 02:46 PM
I think different years are set up differently...my wifes Xterra is just a bit off center and it locks...this upside down Jeep steering thing..I just dont understand...LOL

sms1688
06-17-2008, 02:59 PM
I think different years are set up differently...my wifes Xterra is just a bit off center and it locks...this upside down Jeep steering thing..I just dont understand...LOL

Your tie rod is probably bent so bad that the steering wheel looks straight but the lock is upside down.

AZG23
06-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Your tie rod is probably bent so bad that the steering wheel looks straight but the lock is upside down.

nope...my tie rod isnt bent.

desertgeezer
06-17-2008, 07:25 PM
I just take my wife with me whenever I go some where. She waits in the Jeep while I do some shopping or what ever. If anyone is brave enough to try and steal it she will tear off their heads and piss down their necks. No problems so far. She does get a little sweaty this time of year though.

SHNIPE
06-17-2008, 07:59 PM

BarryB's has been on belles ***... Mish had her sit on it :D

kjflowers
06-17-2008, 09:35 PM
I usually dont lock anything. I know I am stupid.

AZG23
06-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Im beginning to see why so many Jeeps are ganked form around here..LOL

Im thinking the more layers, the less worthwhile, or harder to gain control of...

brian lujan
06-18-2008, 10:20 AM
it sucks when i run with the soft doors they don't lock at all, and a pain in the F#%*ing ***** to open sometimes.

sms1688
06-18-2008, 04:37 PM
My door bar just makes it really hard to get into my jeep so theives wont dare try to get into mine. They also get really hot and will burn you in the summer time:smug::smug::D :D

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j38/sms1688/cage/0611081938.jpg

brian lujan
06-19-2008, 10:15 AM
awsome cage paul

love2lovehim
06-20-2008, 10:23 PM
My Jeep is a horrible faded smurf blue and has 2 car seats in the back. Anyone who's f*ed up enough to steal my smurf jeep with two car seats in the back is gonna get it in the end anyways...

wild mustang
06-21-2008, 05:07 PM
i have been lucky so far and don't want my luck to run out, so i got a new auto lock pro today (clutch or brake pedal lock) to replace the old club. i will be installing an ade II and lojack in the next week or so...and yes i do use the steering wheel lock that is built into my jeep...no to mention noisy dogs and burros to warn of intruders

when out and about, i depend on my insta trunk to keep my belongings safe...

and as of today i have the new swing away for my tire...that latch is very tight right now...probably take some time to get it unlatched before they can even think of trying to break into the insta trunk....

amber.hodge
06-21-2008, 11:59 PM
No locks on the steering wheel.....run doorless/windowless......We just pray nobody will take it...but we do have some anti theft devices installed...We would get a locking gas cap, but I'd lose the key. :rolleyes: I'm terrible with keys.

AZG23
06-22-2008, 12:13 AM
again....I believe ALL jeeps came with a factory wheel locking mechanism IN the column/wheel. Not talking about a worthless Club

FourxDad
06-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Shoot my junk is safer than all yours with all the extra stuff you ave done!!!!!!

I bought an...........

XJ:drummer:

AZG23
06-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Shoot my junk is safer than all yours with all the extra stuff you ave done!!!!!!

I bought an...........

XJ:drummer:

At least yer GROCERIES will be safe!

FourxDad
06-22-2008, 09:46 PM
At least yer GROCERIES will be safe!

Brad you saying I drive a G.G.It cant be true:aagh:

AZG23
06-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Brad you saying I drive a G.G.It cant be true:aagh:

:pinch:

jeeprelic
06-25-2008, 10:09 AM
The Locks do deter theft especially the new ones with 4 hooks, thief must make multiple cuts, every layer is a deterant. Theft of vehicles is very high in AZ and the numbers show that the locks make a considerable difference. A kill switch also is good as well as an inline fuel cutoff. The best part of the wheel lock is that most would be thiefs will pass by without doing any damage to your doors or windows.

leonardg
06-25-2008, 11:43 AM
I put in a Viper burglar alarm, and kill-switch, and hood lock so thay can't just pop the hood and jank wires before the alarm goes off.

5-years and counting.... so far no one even tried to steal it

AmbulanceJockey
06-27-2008, 11:55 PM
a couple of rocks under your wheels in the form of wheel chalks should do the trick, if it looks like the brakes ar not working or rolls well is a good anti theft too. no sense trying to steel something that doesnt want start/roll

squinko
06-28-2008, 12:55 AM
I some times put the transfer case in neutral and use the club. At least if they get the club off maybe they will have a hard time figuring out the rest. Problem is I sometimes forget and I think something broke. Bad brain.

Rogue XJ
07-01-2008, 09:12 PM
I always throw the column collar on, it slows down access to the ignition switch/tumbler while being highly visible (it's RED), then arm the Viper alarm.

No one's touched my rig yet, with easier/more profitable targets around, but then again, my last rig was a Chevy full-size, with a freakin bullseye on it somewhere... with the frequency it was broken into, ransacked and attempted to be stolen (got stopped by the hidden KILL SWITCH).

Layer your defenses, add the unexpected, keep valuables out of plain sight... the usual.

Tim G.

Detention
07-03-2008, 04:23 PM
I do use a lock but it is a pedal lock. I got it from Pepboys and it goes on the brake or cluch and keeps it from being pushed so that they cant take it out of gear. I also have an alarm.

ducatibrandon
07-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Knowbody will steal mine because I have a loan on it with gap but if it was all paid off like my other TWO cars then for sure it would be gone! ARRRGGGGGGG

Haughton
07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I do use a lock but it is a pedal lock. I got it from Pepboys and it goes on the brake or cluch and keeps it from being pushed so that they cant take it out of gear. I also have an alarm.

I have one of these too. I put it on the brake because of one simple fact. Even without the ability to depress the clutch, you can still take it out of gear to roll it where you want. On the other hand, I do NOT have an emergency brake, so if they can't hit the brakes, they can't stop it.

Of course, the simple solution to any type of club is to cut the steering wheel. That done, the club comes off. I worked with a guy that had a club on. He came out to his car, it was gone, pile of glass and his undamaged club laying in the middle of it.

Simple away around the club. It's cheap enough to replace the steering wheel if you are stealing a car. And if you are stealing it to strip it, who cares about the steering wheel.

Just my $0.02.

I have two kill switches and the pedal to steering wheel lock on mine. So far so good, but it's an ugly Jeep, so it's not getting stolen for parts, maybe a joy ride, but then it's not worth it.