PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a used 2-meter rig

corwyyn
05-26-2008, 12:39 AM
OK, since I have been bitten by the APRS bug but don't have a lot of money to spend (thank you so much, Uncle Sam) I am in the market for a used 2-meter rig. It doesn't have to be fancy, doesn't have to look good since it'll probably be going under my passenger seat, it just needs to function. So if you or another HAM you know have a rig you want to get out of the shack before the XYL throws it out let me know. And if anyone is going to the Yavapai hamfest and can keep an eye out for a good deal I'd appreciate it - I'm probably going to be working OT this weekend so I doubt I'll be able to make it.

K7VZ
05-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Kevin, sounds like you are in the same boat I am. I'm also wanting to get an APRS setup, but don't have the $600 for a Kenwood D710. Below is what I've figured out that could be doable for $200-$250. I've been looking for a cheaper new or used 2m rig for a dedicated APRS radio. I don't have a radio in my daily driver either, so I thought I could use the 2m in that during the week too. I've been watching Ebay and it seems they go as high or higher than new prices.

HRO has a couple that look like they may be good radios for such a setup. Both of the ICOM IC-2200H and Yaesu FT-2800M can be bought new for around the $150 price tag and put out 65 watts which is good for beaconing APRS signals. The TinyTrak3 (http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/)is about $50 paired with a radio and GPS and you should be good to go.

Now I just need to find the $200-$250 for one of those setups since I don't have that either. :smilielol5:

RandyT
05-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Guys be advised:
Without a D700 / 710 you will be able to send beacons and be seen on findu.com and seen on the display of a D700 / 710.

You will not have the ablility to see other station beacons on your radio and their associated data, ie. speed, direction etc and in the case of weather stations, temp, wind speed etc.

Not at all trying to talk you out of what you are wanting to do but you will NOT get the "full APRS experience" without a D700 / 710 or a laptop running UI-View or a similar program.

It is a lot of money for a D700 / 710 but aside from APRS it is an excellent dual band, dual rx, cross banding radio all on it's own. :)

FYI

Sc00by
05-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Im not 100% aquainted with my new 710a yet.
However I will say WOW great radio neat features, I was able to track Randy on the way home and also got a message from another HAM asking what Freq. we were using & was able to reply so realy a neat feature!

gefelix
05-26-2008, 10:15 PM
I have a ton of questions about dedicating a 2M for APRS. I have a 50W 2M rig (Yaesu 1500) that I bought for $50. It's the same radio that I generally use on our net. I guess that would leave me short a "desk" radio if I mounted the 2M in the Jeep for APRS along with the 7800 for regular comms. Was monitoring Randy coming down I-17 and stopping off at Ray road to take a look at the fire and I'm jealous. I want APRS in my Jeep! I see $ deficit in my immediate future.

corwyyn
05-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Yeah Virgil, I was looking at the TT3 (or TT4) as well. I know I could get a new radio for around $140-150, but I'm not sure I want to purchase a new radio just to dedicate it to APRS - if I was going to go that route I'd buy a new dual-bander and set the Alinco up for APRS. And no I don't have the money for a TD710 either (dagnabit) but with the OT I'm doing at work lately that may change once I get all the other bills caught up.

Randy, I know a bare-bones 2m rig won't give me all the features of a Kenwood, but I do have a laptop I've used on off-road trips for mapping and such that I could use for UI-View or something similar. I've got USAPhotomaps on it and with my GPS plugged in I can follow my track on either aerial images or topo maps. I do need to get a laptop stand for the Jeep though if I'm going to do that very often; right now I just sit it in the passengers seat (or the passengers lap :p).

K7VZ
05-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Yaesu FT2500M (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290233249698&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019) - About $50 right now with shipping and 5 hours remaining.

Yaesu FT2800 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290233145426&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019) - Price isn't too high yet, but still has 3 days left.

Yaesu FT2600M (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280230377999&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018) - His description on voltage seems weird. I'm not sure if I understand him. 5 days on auction left.

corwyyn
06-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Well after hemming and hawing and just generally dragging my feet I find out that we get our bonus checks this week at work, which means I have enough money for a TMD-710A :) which I will be purchasing this weekend. So I may have an inexpensive dual-band rig for sale shortly , just have to make sure the Kenwood is going to be the 'E' ticket rig I think it will be. Stay tuned for more details as events unfold :D

RandyT
06-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Cool Kevin!
I am sure you will like it! Let us know when you get it.

K7VZ
06-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Ok, so who is going to buy me a D710 with their bonus from work?

Oh, congrats Kevin. I look forward to stalking you via the internet.