PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about doing another Kill Switch workshop

Joe West
05-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi Gang,

With so many folks getting rigs stolen (see the Stolen section of our forum), I'm thinking of putting together another kill switch workshop similar to the ones I've done in the past.

I have spring break for a month and a half. If you are interested, it will be on Saturday, June 28th (preliminary). Whether or not this workshop actually happens will be determined by the number of people who express interest in this thread... if we hit 15 people interested; I'll make it happen.

You will automatically be registered when you pay for the workshop here:

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/payments.php

The kill switch workshop is listed on the bottom of the subscription page. If you do not use Paypal, you can simply send a check to:

Joe West
C/O Kill Switch Workshop
649 South 30th Circle
Mesa, Arizona 85204

Here are the details for the workshop:

This is the Eighth Kill Switch workshop I have done.

We will be installing stand-alone kill switches on all vehicles.

If you are interested in signing up for this class, please go to the subscription link shown above and pay for the class. In addition; add your name to this thread by posting a reply which includes the answers to the questions that I asked in this post.

The cost for the workshop will be $33 per person and will include everything you need to install a kill switch.

The workshop can hold approximately 30 (Maybe more) vehicles.

More details will follow as the time for the workshop gets closer.
I will continue to schedule kill switch technical workshops every six months or so until everyone who wants to have an anti-theft kill switch installed has one.

This is kill switch technical workshop number 8. The purpose of this workshop is threefold:

1. To keep your rig from being a theft statistic.
2. To show you how easy it is to install a kill switch.
3. To spend some fun time just hanging out with Jeepers.

I have picked a date for the eighth kill-switch workshop a couple of months out to enable people to sign up over a longer period of time. I will update the information in this run as necessary, but for the most part all of the information you will need is here.

The limit for the number of rigs we can fit in my yard and cul-de-sac is 30 so this will be the maximum number of people who can sign up. Please note that YOU will be doing the work in this workshop and I will be guiding, assisting, teaching, and testing your installs (and fixing any problems which may occur).

The price for the kill switch is $33, and includes everything you will need to install the switch. The price also includes a custom azvjc kill switch enabled sticker for the inside of your windshield if you wish to let potential thieves know that they would be better off skipping your vehicle.

Please note: I am NOT making any money on the kill switches... the charge just covers the cost of the hardware with a couple of dollars extra thrown in to cover supplies. I do this workshop for fun and to help people out... not to make money. The tools that I purchase especially for the workshop (such as the propane soldering irons) are raffled off at the end of the workshop.

Unfortunately, because of problems I had with purchasing killswitches for people who didn't show and didn't pay (leaving me stuck with the hardware), it will be necessary for people to pay in advance by using the subscription service on the forum or by sending me a check.

The kill switch type will be determined by the year, make, and model of the Jeep being fitted with the switch. I encourage those with electrical fuel pumps to install the kill switch on fuel relay. Those with older vehicles and mechanical fuel pumps are left killing the starter relay. Once I determine how many people sign up and what kind of vehicles they have, I will put together a list of required materials and purchase them for everyone. Individual members can choose what kind of kill switch they want or I will determine it for them based on vehicle type if they have no preference. I will provide all tools and will purchase bulk materials (wires, switches, solder, connectors, electrical tape, zip ties, etc) which everyone will split the cost of. If you are interested, please sign up.

VERY IMPORTANT:

All Participants in the clinic MUST give me the following information via a post in this thread:

1. Year and model of vehicle on which we will be installing the kill switch
2. Do you have a FACTORY service manual OR a service manual with wiring schematics for your vehicle?
3. Which of the following tools can you bring: drill, drill bits, wire cutters, metric and/or standard socket set, wire strippers, wire crimpers, nylon ties, electrical tape, soldering iron/solder, long extension cords, multi-outlet adaptors/short extension cords, volt-ohm meters or DVM, blowdryer (for heat-shrink tubing).

VERY VERY IMPORTANT:

My home address is:
649 S. 30th Circle, Mesa, Arizona 85204.
My home phone is:
(480) 325-9419
My cell phone is:
(480) 522-6186

You can obtain very good directions from Yahoo maps... but a brief set of directions are as follows:

Take 60 headed East and get off on Gilbert Road.
Head North on Gilbert Road (Left) to Broadway Road.
Head East on Broadway (right) to 30th street (30th street is the FIRST residential street you can make a right on just past the light at Lindsay... do not turn into the small community just east of Walgreens.
Head South (right) on 30th Street.
30th Street dead ends in my Cul-De-Sac and my home is the one with all the palm trees in the yard.

PLEASE PLEASE park along 30th street and WALK to my home. The reason that I am asking this is because I want to group like vehicles together to simplify installations. Do NOT park in my cul-de-sac. After everyone parks along 30th street, I will have a short meeting on my front porch and then I will ask all YJ owners to go get their vehicles and we will place them in one location in my yard. I will then ask all TJ owners to go get their vehicles and will park them in another location... and so on until all vehicle types are grouped together in my yard or cul-de-sac.

After everyone is grouped together, I will walk everyone through the steps of installing kill switches... and we will work together as a team to get them installed. To avoid having any electrical problems, you will be required to disconnect the positive lead on your battery BEFORE we do any work on your vehicle.

Please plan on bringing a cooler with drinks, cups and/or snacks if you will need them.
If you have suggestions and you see something I have forgotten, please let me know.

And last but not least, if you would like to come hang out and HELP or just watch and learn... I'm sure we could use all the help we can get. Everyone interested is welcome to show up.

If you have any questions, please contact me via email at:
joe.west@diveaz.com

Kind Regards,
Joe West

Fire Ball
05-23-2008, 02:32 PM
woot woot I have weekends off in June for once.

Joe West
05-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Please see the general forum for the continuation of this thread.

Joe