PDA

View Full Version : engine swap questions

utah_xj
03-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Does anyone know if a 97 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 I6 will bolt into my 87 xj ( I have the 4.0 I6 in it right now). I know I will have to change out the wiring, just want to know if it will fit on the factory mounts. also I have a ax-15 trans in my xj, will that bolt up? any other comments or sugestions would help me out.

Triple-XJ
03-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Does anyone know if a 97 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 I6 will bolt into my 87 xj ( I have the 4.0 I6 in it right now). I know I will have to change out the wiring, just want to know if it will fit on the factory mounts. also I have a ax-15 trans in my xj, will that bolt up? any other comments or sugestions would help me out.

Yes, this is an easy swap. Don't change wiring, just swap out the intake manifold, Distrib. and CPS on the bellhousing. If ones an auto and ones a stick, then you will need to swap the flex plate and suff also.

Triple-XJ
03-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Use all your bolt-ons, just use the 97 block & head and any other things that will swap.

DONT CHANGE YOUR WIRE HARNESS, unless you want to make the job alot more diffacult then it needs to be.

utah_xj
03-23-2008, 04:34 PM
good to know. my motor right now has 220k on it and I found one that has 160k on it for cheap, plus I think it will give me more power (hopefully)

thanks again for the info!

utah_xj
03-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Are the computers the same then, or do I need to swap those out as well.

Triple-XJ
03-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Are the computers the same then, or do I need to swap those out as well.

No, No, No,

Dont change that stuff, it will open up another can of worms.

Like I said, just swap the engine bolt-ons.

Keep the 97 block, head, valve cover, oilpan, motor mounts and maybe the oil filter adapter all as one. Put your 87 intake, distrib, CPS, flywheel and what ever other bolt-ons you will need onto the 97 engine.

IF THE JEEP IS A 87, DONT MESS WITH THE 87 ECM(computer) or WIRE HARNESS, its not the same as a 97. All your interested in is the 97 for its engine.