PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Bars - show and tell?

Jeeptrl
02-27-2008, 01:54 PM
I was hoping to have my sport cage upgraded and was looking at a few options including Brian aka Monkey Bars' work. I have read lots of good things. I would love to see one live and poke at it briefly. Anyone in the north Valley have a TJ with a Monkey Bars cage in it that I could see?

Wayco
02-27-2008, 02:48 PM
I live in Goodyear, will probably be out in Table Mesa this weekend. Here is my Monkeybars cage:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/allands/IMG_1871.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/allands/IMG_1870.jpg

There might be other fabricators that are as good as Brian, but I don't think anybody is better at caging a Jeep.
PM me if you want to take a look, mine has been tested too:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/allands/IMG_3333.jpg
Slid thirty feet down Axle hill in Moab, no deformation to the cage, but it did need a new windshield frame:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/allands/IMG_3335.jpg

mingoglia
02-27-2008, 02:54 PM
There might be other fabricators that are as good as Brian, but I don't think anybody is better at caging a Jeep.

Honestly Wayne, I'm going to ask a question that others are thinking but won't ask. Do your years as a fabricator or welder help you come to that conclusion? I'm just wondering what you're basing that statement on? Yeah, his cage did it's job but does that mean that Hunter's cage wouldn't do just as well? Or DF, or AO, or Wheelers?

Others are thinking this... but I'm just the arse (remember my jerk thread?) that will actually ask the question. :angel:

Huck
02-27-2008, 02:59 PM
I've got a cage and cradle done by Brian, if you would like to see it. I'm located near Tatum and Greenway. If that is close enough for you, PM me and I'll get you the exact location.

Wayco
02-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Honestly Wayne, I'm going to ask a question that others are thinking but won't ask. Do your years as a fabricator or welder help you come to that conclusion? I'm just wondering what you're basing that statement on? Yeah, his cage did it's job but does that mean that Hunter's cage wouldn't do just as well? Or DF, or AO, or Wheelers?

Others are thinking this... but I'm just the arse (remember my jerk thread?) that will actually ask the question. :angel:

No problem Mike, I think anybody that knows you understands why you ask these type of questions. Anybody that knows me probably knows that I have never used a welder or a tube bender. I'm just basing that statement on all the cages that I have looked at before and after mine was done. It's just my opinion, I don't claim to be an expert, if I were, I'd be hyping my own work....
Take a look at it, make up your own mind.:)

mingoglia
02-27-2008, 03:34 PM
No problem Mike, I think anybody that knows you understands why you ask these type of questions. Anybody that knows me probably knows that I have never used a welder or a tube bender. I'm just basing that statement on all the cages that I have looked at before and after mine was done. It's just my opinion, I don't claim to be an expert, if I were, I'd be hyping my own work....
Take a look at it, make up your own mind.:)

Yep, I know Wayne.... and as you know I have a Monkeybars cage as you do... :) In fact after I got my cage done I posted on this very forum about how perfect the cages, welds, etc is. Later I saw Hunter's work... and Wheelers work... then spent dozens upon dozens of hours in class learning to stick, oxy ace, MIG, and TIG... not to mention videos, books etc and I realized that my statement was a bit of an overstatement. Although the welds are certainly sound, I wasn't nearly as impressed. I'm just making sure you're not doing exactly what I initially did and prematurely discounting other's work based on not having the experience to determine what is a good sound weld or a better weld. Hunter and Wheelers (at least Rob, I don't know if others make cages down there) welds are absolutely outstanding and I'd hate to discount their work unjustly. Sorry DF, I haven't seen one of your cages up close so I'll save judgement. :) I'm not trying to bad mouth Brian's work. I know it may sound like I am.... I'm doing the opposite and trying to point out that there are other options out there by folks with more cage experience and that your statement can be taken as Brian is the end all be all of cages... and I think that's a bit silly. :p

Mike

Jeeptrl
02-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Wayne, what time frame do you think you might be in the table mesa area? Do you gas up in that area before you go out? Just trying to figure out a spot we can meet up.

lancetkenyon
02-27-2008, 07:55 PM
I might be out there Sat too. I have a Monkeybars cage, and use it frequently.

Wayco
02-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Wayne, what time frame do you think you might be in the table mesa area? Do you gas up in that area before you go out? Just trying to figure out a spot we can meet up.

Looks like it will be Sunday, but I usually gas up here in Goodyear. Where are you located? I can find almost anything in North Phx.
Lance might be closer, but looking at his rig might make you quit wheeling.:aagh:

Jeeptrl
02-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Wayne, I live in the Happy Valley - I 17 area. We can meet at a couple of different places. Depending on what time you go out, if you are willing to make a 10 minute stop in that area ( there are easy to find land marks in that area ), or if you air down at the trail head at table mesa I can meet you there too. Let me know what works for you. I will PM you my cell number...

Huck
02-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Got your PM and you have a reply.

pennstater
02-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Whats the deal with the sheet over your dash? Are you hiding an armor all shine or protecting the dash from getting dusty?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/allands/IMG_1871.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/allands/IMG_1870.jpg

katvans
02-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Whats the deal with the sheet over your dash? Are you hiding an armor all shine or protecting the dash from getting dusty?

I would imagine he is getting ready to paint his cage.

Did you actually go to PSU or are you a fan?? I went there but it was before you were born and Joe P was coach then also. :fashizzle: :aagh: old.

I got Monkey Bars also, cage & doors, I have tested the doors some but not the cage.

Wayne, I thought you were running Sunday.

SavageSun4x4
02-28-2008, 11:32 AM
I have a Brian built cage:

http://www.savagesun4x4.com/chromo_tj_cage_install.html

I live in central Scottsdale, you are welcome to stop by anytime.

Wayco
02-28-2008, 01:36 PM

Getting ready to paint, that's one thing that Brian WILL NOT DO!

I would imagine he is getting ready to paint his cage.

Did you actually go to PSU or are you a fan?? I went there but it was before you were born and Joe P was coach then also. :fashizzle: :aagh: old.

I got Monkey Bars also, cage & doors, I have tested the doors some but not the cage.

Wayne, I thought you were running Sunday.

You're right, the race starts at 7 am and I will done around 9 am. Hoping I can meet up with you guys a little later....

Andrew F
02-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Later I saw Hunter's work... and Wheelers work... then spent dozens upon dozens of hours in class learning to stick, oxy ace, MIG, and TIG... not to mention videos, books etc and I realized that my statement was a bit of an overstatement.

I have seen both of their work also, and the welds are awesome. I have personally seen Hunter lay hundreds and hundreds of beads, and the quality of them is mind blowing. So much so, I had him due all my custom fab for me.

Jeeptrl
02-29-2008, 07:28 AM
Don, thank you for the offer. I will looking at 2 cages this weekend. That should be enough, but I will let you know.

katvans
02-29-2008, 08:42 AM
You're right, the race starts at 7 am and I will done around 9 am. Hoping I can meet up with you guys a little later....

If you run faster you will get to TM sooner, try it. Anyway we will wait for you.

Please excuse the thread HYJAK :laugh4: Back to regular program now

lancetkenyon
02-29-2008, 11:58 AM
I am out for TM on Sat, running Sun instead(wife volentold me for something).