PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Hoodwinked

Crewchief
02-26-2008, 09:14 AM
I can only assume that no one knows the answer to my question regarding my post on the "Upper Defrost Door Lever Jeep Wrangler TJ 97-UP". This is my last ditch effort to see if this post was just overlooked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cdhowell
02-26-2008, 09:22 AM
What is the question?

Crewchief
02-26-2008, 09:44 AM
This was my orginal introduction and question.

Hello everyone, I live in Alaska however I am currently on a military deployment here in Phoenix for the next few months. I bought this Jeep and I am loving it. I am trying to prep my new 97 Wrangler for my long road trip home.
In Alaska a windshield defroster is a necessity so I have hit a wall here as my selecter lever is not allowing it to blow air up to the windshield. When I turn the air on I can hear the vent direction door slam closed. I found this part at this website

http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_in...ducts_id/12084

The Jeep dealer does not sell this part. It connects under the dash to a vaccum component. The end of it has broke off inside the airbox. I need to figure out how to remove the broken piece from inside the airbox if anyone is still following what I am saying here. Has anyone had this issue before? Does this part look right and will it fix my problem?
Thanks for any help

ROKBITR
02-26-2008, 10:02 AM
To me it sounds like you may have a "blend door" problem. Not sure if I am understanding 100% what is going on though?!

JUDOKA
02-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Hey I have some great news for you!:beta1::beta1: I just so happen to have a 97 TJ myself, and I ALSO have had that problem, except that mine Does blow through the defrost, and not out the vents (but not always). Since I live in the desert, the defrost does me no good since I need the AC to blow through the vents to stay cool. They great news however is this, I will be miserable right there with you!:fashizzle: This darned thing is almost impossible to fix unfortunately. Sorry Bro! I feel ya.
Hey, maybe you can stay in the desert and I will go to Alaska! You dont have brown hair, brown eyes and stand about 5'10'' do you?:confused:

AZXJ
02-26-2008, 11:17 AM
There should be a TSB on the blend door failures through the manufacturer.. contact Airpark Chrystler!

Allen
02-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Hey Billy! Welcome to the site.

Sorry about missing your first post. With the site crashing and all we somehow missed seeing a few!

I too had a '97 Wrangler and they all had a tempermental gate on the directional valve. In most cases it was caused by cracked vaccume (sp) lines that run from the vacuum canister located under the battery tray under the right fender. If that line leaks the valve wont switch!

TRobertsRN
02-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Let me preface this with I know nothing about your particular jeep.

With that said is it possible to rig up something manual with 100 test fishing line you can pull on?

Did something like this with an old Jeep full size cherokee.

Tom

Number 7
02-26-2008, 06:02 PM
What Allen said. Mine did the same thing as yours. It was a cracked vaccuum line under the battery tray.

Crewchief
02-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Thanks to all of you for the advice as I know that it is really hard to follow exactly what I am talking about. I have great vaccum as the canister moves in and out as it should. There is a small metal piece that hooks through the broken piece that moves the vent. Now I am confusing myself so don't worry as I am going to check with Airpark Chrystler as it was mentioned earlier. I am not to far from them but thanks to all of you again.

SweetFire
02-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Sorry I suck at things like this, BUT, you may get more responses if you were to post this question in the "GENERAL DISCUSSION" section rather than in this one. Good luck.

mingoglia
02-27-2008, 08:21 AM
My '98 has been doing that for the past year but have been too lazy to fix it. ;) I park it in the garage so it really isn't a problem so I'll probably never look at it. ;)

Mike

dirtbuggy
02-29-2008, 03:33 PM
he tried that already sweetfire thats why he tired here also when you need help you need help whatever works

Lonnie
03-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Hey Billy! Welcome to the site.

Sorry about missing your first post. With the site crashing and all we somehow missed seeing a few!

I too had a '97 Wrangler and they all had a tempermental gate on the directional valve. In most cases it was caused by cracked vaccume (sp) lines that run from the vacume canister located under the battery tray under the right fender. If that line leaks the valve wont switch!

Pretty much what Allen said, also follow the lines down to a canitster in the passenger fender, found a cracked 90* rubber fitting on one of our jeeps in there, plus the lines going all over under the batttery. I ended up replacing all the vacume lines in and out of all the fittings, found most of the stuff at PEP Boys, 1/8 line and some rubber fittings to make it all fit. Haven't had any trouble with any of it since I replaced all the tubing. Oh mines on a 99 so it must be the desert heat that dries it out and causes the cracks.

arczech
03-08-2008, 06:21 PM
With all the input here I think there is a solution.
I myself from what I been through would get a hold of Airpark and see what they come up with.