PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case replacement

AZScooby
01-22-2008, 12:18 AM
Hey Sponsors, I seem to be having some kind of Transfer case malfunction. I was looking on the web and found the JB Conversions NP231HD with Super Short Shaft SYE installed on it for $1025. This seems like a good deal since I need a SYE anyways. Plus I would be saving a bundle not having to have someone tear open the case. So, what I'm getting at is 1) Do any of you guys carry it or can you get it? & 2) Is it possible to premeasure for the Driveshaft so that I don't have to wait so long? 3) What would the install cost. Looks like a pretty straight forward swap but if install is reasonable I would have it done. Thanks for any help!!!!!!!

Fire Ball
01-22-2008, 09:47 AM
I got my drive shaft from 4 wheelers in about 3 days but I ordered it on a Friday.

Once you get the transfer case in just need to measure frome yoke to yoke. They will bild the drive shaft with enough room for extension and compression.

What is wrong with your T case? The SYE comes with a new shaft. You should replace the filter and shifter pads. A new chain is about $100. This stuff is easy enough to do.

danno
01-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Can you describe the t-case issue that you are having? It could defintely be possible to re-build your existing case with the JB SS SYE and a rebuild kit for much cheaper than the cost of the whole case from JB...

In addition, since you are already looking at opening the case, you might want to consider a TeraLow 4 to 1 gearset as well... As a matter of fact you can probably do the 4 to 1 and the JB SYE with a new chain for less than the cost of the JB case if you do it yourself...

It seems kinda intimidating talking about taking the t-case apart, but I can assure you that it is a very simple operation... There are not a ton of little parts to worry about, and the instructions that come with the Tera and JB products are very thorough... The only special tools that you really need are a set of lockring pliers, a torque wrench for the output shafts and a torx socket. Lots of people on the board probably have these... Including myself...

If you want someone to give you a hand taking it apart and putting in back together, I could help you as well...

Regarding the Driveshaft, I would hold off on ordering until you know the length for sure. You can usually get a pretty quick turn around even if you order it from out of state and have it shipped (such as Tom Wood). You can even drive it around carefully in Front Wheel drive in a pinch if you need to get to work for a day or two.

rockwerks
01-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Hey Scooby IM sure we can hook you up with an RE hack and tap setup and Tcase for around 300.00, I can get ahold of an older but rebuilt case and swap some parts around to get you taken care of. We can also have a shaft made here in Flagstaff, usually a 2 day turn arould

AZScooby
01-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks for responses guys. As far as what's wrong with the Transfer case,I'm not exactly sure. I don't hear anything under normal driving. But when I hit a bump or the Jeep jerks on the trail I hear some clanking noise. The noise sounds mechanical. I dropped the skid plate today to see if I could find anything loose. NOTHING. I yanked on the driveshafts and they are both solid. The muffler is solid. All of the steering parts are pretty tight still. I just can't narrow it down. If it is the TC, I like the idea of the SYE install with the Tera low conversion. I don't know. What do you guys think? Should we open her up or what?:aagh:

rockwerks
01-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks for responses guys. As far as what's wrong with the Transfer case,I'm not exactly sure. I don't hear anything under normal driving. But when I hit a bump or the Jeep jerks on the trail I hear some clanking noise. The noise sounds mechanical. I dropped the skid plate today to see if I could find anything loose. NOTHING. I yanked on the driveshafts and they are both solid. The muffler is solid. All of the steering parts are pretty tight still. I just can't narrow it down. If it is the TC, I like the idea of the SYE install with the Tera low conversion. I don't know. What do you guys think? Should we open her up or what?:aagh:

ou cna sheck the TC without taking it out. disconnet the 2 drive shafts put the tranny in neutral and then shift through the 4x4 options and rotate the outputs to see if there is anly chain play, it will be evident, you will hear it slap the side of the case if its stretched.

AZScooby
01-22-2008, 05:29 PM
I will try that tomorrow. Thanks.:yes:

Fire Ball
01-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Clanking under a Jeep often times can be traced to a broken tranny mount or an exhaust pipe hitting something. I have seen the exhaust pipe banging on the frame, drive shaft, oil pan, gas tank etc. Another common clunk comes from loose parts such as control arm bolts, track bar bolts or even shock mounts. Check these things out too before spending a wad of cash on a T case :)

rockwerks
01-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Clanking under a Jeep often times can be traced to a broken tranny mount or an exhaust pipe hitting something. I have seen the exhaust pipe banging on the frame, drive shaft, oil pan, gas tank etc. Another common clunk comes from loose parts such as control arm bolts, track bar bolts or even shock mounts. Check these things out too before spending a wad of cash on a T case :)

good point. my track bar is always coming loose just enough. always works good to start her up and have someone else steer back and forth so you can feel where the noise is coming from

AZScooby
01-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks again. I'll be under the Jeep tomorrow and I'll try to be more thorough and give everything a once over. I'll let u know what I find out or don't.

AZScooby
01-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Did an inspection today. Checked out anything I could think of. I noticed some play in my muffler so I adjusted it. Other than that I couldn't find anything. Although I am able to twist the front driveshaft slightly. Could this be making the noise?

AZXJ
01-24-2008, 08:25 PM
How are your motor mounts ??

AZScooby
01-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Motor mounts are brand new M.O.R.E. Bombproof with 1" lift. They've been on about 6 months. I did notice a definite increase in noise today when I put it in 4 wheel drive. NOt a constant noise but more intermitent. Definitely more than when it's in 2 wheel drive. Only when I hit a bump or jerk the Jeep...like a new kid learning how to drive stick:aagh:

Antman
01-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Motor mounts are brand new M.O.R.E. Bombproof with 1" lift. They've been on about 6 months. I did notice a definite increase in noise today when I put it in 4 wheel drive. NOt a constant noise but more intermitent. Definitely more than when it's in 2 wheel drive. Only when I hit a bump or jerk the Jeep...like a new kid learning how to drive stick:aagh:

Check your tranny mount. They tear apart and allow things to move around and
clank. Block up the tranny or engine and take the skid off and visually check your
tranny mount. If the tranny mount is torn apart, it will clunk bad. :sifone:

AZScooby
01-25-2008, 08:51 PM
You know, I didn't even think to look at that when I pulled it down the other day. :dizzy2: You think it would have been obvious. I guess I'm just getting frustrated.

Any volunteers. I could tie you to the bottom of my Jeep while I drive around and then you can tell me where it's coming from.:yes: