PDA

View Full Version : grand cherokee

tywilson88
01-03-2008, 08:30 PM
i know that there are quite a few xjs here, but i wanted to know how many zj and dub-j guys we got here? i was thinking of planning a run within the next month or so for xj, zj, and wj only. i have an idea of what kind of trails i would like to do, but i have to break in my gears and get my shiz fixed first.

so post up some pics for the fun of it...

and lets see if we cant get a run going... i will also be posting on another forum to see if we can get more.

here's mine currently (before the surgery)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g59/tywilson88/DSC00658.jpg

ROKBITR
01-04-2008, 03:47 PM
1st: Nice looking rig....

2nd:.......

i was thinking of planning a run within the next month or so for xj, zj, and wj only.

and lets see if we cant get a run going... i will also be posting on another forum to see if we can get more.

...you are too late.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=29526

Now, as of right now this run is scheduled as an XJ only run and I would hate to make drastic changes right now. HOWEVER! I have been debating about including ZJ's in the annual run. SO.....now I have some more brainstorming to do :).

ArizonaSunshine
01-04-2008, 08:16 PM
1st: Nice looking rig....

2nd:.......

...you are too late.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=29526

Now, as of right now this run is scheduled as an XJ only run and I would hate to make drastic changes right now. HOWEVER! I have been debating about including ZJ's in the annual run. SO.....now I have some more brainstorming to do :).

I was thinking we should do a poll with the different types jeeps listed so all members can select what they drive. This way you can see how many. I'm not in tune with all the "names" yet. :pinch: Sooooooooo Maybe one of you could do this or enlighten me with all the information & I'll post it. XJ, ZJ, CJ* but what about wranglers, rubicons, blah blah blah names? :stupid: What? I only decided in October I wanted a jeep. :) :innocent:

hoffyinaz
01-04-2008, 09:18 PM
One more ZJ here and by the way there are about 7 of us from mallcrawlin (grand site) going out to FJ on Sunday 9am at flagpoles............

pitch
01-04-2008, 09:50 PM
WJ driver here, but it is just another soccer mom grocery-getter.

hoffyinaz
01-04-2008, 11:10 PM

Yea it is. You going Sunday?

hoffyinaz
01-04-2008, 11:12 PM

Actually I like your WJ. And assisting in that excellent axle rebuild at GSSW was an awesome adventure, I sure hope that when I break you are there to fix it (I mean help). :fashizzle:

zj95
01-05-2008, 08:56 AM
zj here...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/zj95/flexpinto2.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/zj95/flexpinto.jpg

Jsk8r1
01-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Another ZJ here but mostly stay on MC dont get on here much

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h10/Jsk8r123/Gap%20Run%2020071124/TheGapNovember24th2007011.jpg

pitch
01-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Actually I like your WJ. And assisting in that excellent axle rebuild at GSSW was an awesome adventure, I sure hope that when I break you are there to fix it (I mean help). :fashizzle:

After breaking another shaft last week, the 44 has been put to rest. It will have an HP60 by next weekend... I should not be able to break that one. One in-the-field axle repair like that is enough for me. Front shafts I can deal with.

And no, I won't be joining up on Sunday...due to the axle build up.

zj95
01-05-2008, 08:18 PM
updated pics

cause thats how i roll

tywilson88
01-05-2008, 08:25 PM
im on mc alot too. i have been wanting to go on a run w/ kevin for a while.

Varkyl
01-07-2008, 05:21 AM
One more ZJ here. I will post up a pic when I get home.
Hey Pitch, dude I am jealous of the HP60! I am working on just doing the D44 and 9" conversion (but that is going to take a while).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/mamabunni/SedonaTrip/IMG_0991.jpg
Pitch you may remember this picture
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v390/mamabunni/SedonaTrip/IMG_0947.jpg

ROKBITR
01-07-2008, 07:20 AM
I was thinking we should do a poll with the different types jeeps listed so all members can select what they drive. This way you can see how many. I'm not in tune with all the "names" yet. :pinch: Sooooooooo Maybe one of you could do this or enlighten me with all the information & I'll post it. XJ, ZJ, CJ* but what about wranglers, rubicons, blah blah blah names? :stupid: What? I only decided in October I wanted a jeep. :) :innocent:

It's ok sunshine, we understand :). This could be a whole other thread by itself, and I don't want to be a thread pirate.

Yeah, I have seen that rig around town but always wondered if you were on here. I saw your rig parked the other day and I wanted to leave an AZVJC business card, but I was running late :driving:.

Another ZJ here but mostly stay on MC dont get on here much

I think we should change that. I would really like to see more ZJ's, and WJ's. After seeing some of these good looking ones in this thread, I think a "non-wrangler run" is definitely in order :). MUTINY!!!

Jsk8r1
01-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Well if we got something set up for a "non-wrangler"run on a weekend or something and my shop didnt try to keep putting me on weekend duty I would definately make the drive up north from Tucson to wheel with a few of you.

jeeperapril
01-08-2008, 10:02 AM
I have a stock 98 ZJ. no pictures, well you can see it on the Sycamore creek thread a few months ago, when I took the front drive shaft and rocker arms out....One day I will raise it up when I get it paid off. I love it! and my little tires 17" eat up snow and ice:) Would be interested in a run if it is a scenic/pleasure run.

K7VZ
01-08-2008, 12:22 PM
I've had an 04 WJ for 2 years now. Just bought an 01 XJ. I told my wife if they mate, we might end up with a ZJ as offspring.

Photos in this tread. (http://virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=29032)

Virgil

John in AZ
01-08-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't post much anymore about the ZJ but still have mine. Long time no see there Hoffy.
John
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5311&d=1145168685

nakidgun
01-09-2008, 06:36 AM
1998 5.9 - Currently in the shop getting motor completely rebuilt with all the Mopar high performance goodies - Mopar M1 intake (with a Holley 52M TB), Mopar Magnum aluminum heads, Mopar roller rockers, Mopar camshaft, computer flash, etc, etc, etc. They tell me I should end up with 350+ horsepower. Also swapping out front axle for a HP Dana 30, Warn axles, Warn lockout hub conversion kit and Aussie locker. Tired of front driveshaft vibration. And a few other things. May swap out gears to 4.56 - currently has 4.10. Will probably be in the shop for a couple months.

Currently sits on 8-inch Rockkrawler lift. Has 231 transfer case and too many goodies to mention. More coming.

Went on the New Year's day run to the White Tanks (first time out with AZVJC) and got SCRATCHES on my rock sliders! Not too happy about that....have to get out the touch up paint!

Oh...the bumpers are from TrailReady....everybody always asks about that.

ROKBITR
01-09-2008, 06:56 AM
on the New Year's day run to the White Tanks (first time out with AZVJC) and got SCRATCHES on my rock sliders! Not too happy about that....have to get out the touch up paint!

Hmmmmmm?!?!?

Jsk8r1
01-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Currently sits on 8-inch Rockkrawler lift. Has 231 transfer case and too many goodies to mention. More coming.

Jeep looks good and really clean, how you like the RK lift? Do you ever get on MC?
I wont give you **** about the touch up paint because every so often ill throw some more black paint on my sliders as well.

nakidgun
01-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Jeep looks good and really clean, how you like the RK lift? Do you ever get on MC?
I wont give you **** about the touch up paint because every so often ill throw some more black paint on my sliders as well.

Been on MC a few times. RK lift is fine....but has really soft springs and shocks and gets a little tipsy both on and off-road. Still chasing the on-road handling. I've heard people complain about the RK kit and this is an older kit too. New kits are better. I don't think they sell the 8-inch ZJ kit anymore. But I've never had any problems with it, other than being really soft. Certainly seems strong enough. It does keep the wheels on the ground.

tywilson88
01-09-2008, 01:06 PM
1998 5.9 - Currently in the shop getting motor completely rebuilt with all the Mopar high performance goodies - Mopar M1 intake (with a Holley 52M TB), Mopar Magnum aluminum heads, Mopar roller rockers, Mopar camshaft, computer flash, etc, etc, etc. They tell me I should end up with 350+ horsepower. Also swapping out front axle for a HP Dana 30, Warn axles, Warn lockout hub conversion kit and Aussie locker. Tired of front driveshaft vibration. And a few other things. May swap out gears to 4.56 - currently has 4.10. Will probably be in the shop for a couple months.

Went on the New Year's day run to the White Tanks (first time out with AZVJC) and got SCRATCHES on my rock sliders! Not too happy about that....have to get out the touch up paint!

man, that thing is clean. why wouldn't you just go with a 44 up front...

probable cause
01-09-2008, 03:31 PM
isn't that what ROCK sliders are for to slide over rocks and not cause damage to your jeep??? i'm new to rock crawling too

ROKBITR
01-09-2008, 04:59 PM
isn't that what ROCK sliders are for to slide over rocks and not cause damage to your jeep??? i'm new to rock crawling too

Yup

trailboy
01-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Yet another ZJ owner, there are some nice rides being posted. Mine is as most of us a work in progress. I am or have done most of the work myself from the engine rebuild to the paint job (the paint I am still working on) But I would be real interested in wheeling with you guys and gals. But I am still fairly new to this and would prefer to stay on trails 3.0 and be low, it is almost a daily driver. Hey even a scenic trail is cool.

Can someone tell me how to put a pic in here??

Thanks
Tim

tywilson88
01-09-2008, 06:32 PM
just get the image code, from your host. like if you use photobucket, the 3rd code is an img code. it looks something like this. [IMG]www.photobucketcom/tyler/jeep.html[IMG/]

nakidgun
01-09-2008, 07:02 PM
man, that thing is clean. why wouldn't you just go with a 44 up front...

All of the front HP D-44 axles that are available have a 5.5 inch spacing on the wheel lug nuts. (stock is 4.5 - what I have now). And they are too wide and have to be cut down. More expense, plus having to buy and weld on the correct brackets to fit the ZJ, etc. (more expense) And if I did all that, I would either have to live with 5.5 spacing on the front and 4.5 on the back (two new wheels) and wheels that don't interchange from front to rear (guess I need two spare tires). Or, I would have to change the back axles to 5.5, and buy all 4 new wheels ( a whole lot more expense). And the D44 is heavier and that added unsprung weight will add to some other problems. All things considered, the HP 30 will do just fine.

The HP Dana 30 out of an XJ will bolt right up, and has the same wheel spacing. With the reverse pinion and the warn axles, it is nearly as strong as a D44. Some would argue it is just as strong. (no I don't want to debate which is stronger). At any rate it is a much better and stronger axle than what's in it now. The one I have for it has been trussed and braced and the brackets reinforced and should do the job just fine. It is a very well prepared D30.

I have talked to two other ZJ owners with the same setup (and high lift) and they both said it was the best modification by far that they had done. Should cure most of my problems in that area.

I guess it all depends on what you are willing to live it (and how much you are willing to spend). I bought this thing from a guy in California and it already had the lift on it. But, would you believe he had the stock drive shafts still in it? (they have since been replaced) The rear drive shaft alone roared so loudly going down the road that I literally couldn't hear the radio. And he had been driving it around that way for two years and didn't think it was a problem. Guess he thought all that roaring noise was 'cool' or something. Sounded like an old John Deere tractor. Unbelievable. But it was really cherry, had hardly ever been off road, and didn't have a chip or scratch on it. It has a few now, but I try to keep it nice.

Another little tip: When someone says their lifted Jeep (or whatever) is "done right" or has "no problems whatsoever" and you are considering buying it???......remember that's just his (uninformed) opinion.

tywilson88
01-09-2008, 07:19 PM
you can get 44's from the junkyards right out of a 06 and earlier wangler "5x4.5" but since the other axle is already built i guess that will do the trick, i just figured with all that extra power from that built 360, and big tires i would be worried. then again i have 35s and stock axels (for about another week) and a 318, you would. and be carefull with the truss on the zj, there is alot of guys that hurt their V-8 oil pan by banging the truss on it when it flexes.

nakidgun
01-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Yeah, but they are not high pinion.

Jsk8r1
01-10-2008, 05:59 AM
Yeah, but they are not high pinion.

The guy that he is talking about is ZJ95 on here from the 1st page and yes he does have a HP30 trussed and it slammed into his oil pan but he was also being stupid sooo.... more than likely you will be alright. I have an HP30 in mine without a truss and have had no problems with it so far only complaint about it is that where the draglink/tierod (inverted Y setup) comes together it rubs my JKS quicker disco's slightly.

bshows73
01-10-2008, 07:11 AM
I have a 95 ZJ 2" budget boost and alot of Kevins Offroad parts Sliderz etc. (I am the fab/office guy there.) Will post pics later I spend most of my time on MC aswell.

KevinsOffRoad.com

Specializing exclusively in *HIGH-END QUALITY* Parts and Accessories for Grand Cherokees, Cherokees, and Wranglers

nakidgun
01-10-2008, 03:13 PM
I have a 95 ZJ 2" budget boost and alot of Kevins Offroad parts Sliderz etc. (I am the fab/office guy there.) Will post pics later I spend most of my time on MC aswell.

Guess I should spend more time on MC - I just checked it out a couple times. Didn't even know what the site was about the first couple times. Good tip about the truss hitting the oil pan...I will be careful about that. I don't think it's that tall but will see.

The motor is coming out of the Jeep now....and I'm mostly concentrating on it for the time being. But the axle is sitting in my garage almost ready to go.

PS: The truss kit was already on the axle when I bought it. Frankly, I don't think the truss is really necessary....but the beefed up brackets are. Looks tough anyway.

nakidgun
01-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Speaking of oil pans......is there a bigger or better after market pan that will fit the V8 ZJ? Anybody know? I'm thinking a bigger aluminum one with more oil and maybe with fins to help with overall engine cooling. Keeping the engine running cool is my number 1 priority with this engine rebuild. Performance is secondary. Hence the aluminum heads, roller rockers and timing chain, etc.

tywilson88
01-10-2008, 06:24 PM
just seach, im sure you could find somethuing on jegs, or jcwhitney, or someting like that.

Jsk8r1
01-11-2008, 11:17 AM
So we have more than a few people that actually wheel grand cherokees. If we happened to get a run together where would you guys want to go? I know most of you are closer to Phoenix area so possibly Florence or Sedona, other ideas?

pitch
01-11-2008, 01:05 PM
So we have more than a few people that actually wheel grand cherokees. If we happened to get a run together where would you guys want to go? I know most of you are closer to Phoenix area so possibly Florence or Sedona, other ideas?

We had about 20 grand's in the Sedona area in October for Grand Slam Southwest, running trails from 2.5-4.0+'s. Several AZ grand cherokee runs have been posted recently in the Staging Area of Mallcrawlin': Lower Terminator, FJ area and Crown King as I recall.

ROKBITR
01-11-2008, 03:20 PM
If you guys are interested....
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=29922

Jsk8r1
01-11-2008, 10:35 PM
:fashizzle:
We had about 20 grand's in the Sedona area in October for Grand Slam Southwest, running trails from 2.5-4.0+'s. Several AZ grand cherokee runs have been posted recently in the Staging Area of Mallcrawlin': Lower Terminator, FJ area and Crown King as I recall.

I was still deployed in Afghanistan during GSW :( so I missed that one. I'll see what I have planned for Feb 2nd or 9th If I'm not goin ridin in the dunes my vote would be for FJ.

kevinc
02-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I was wheeling in the Chiricahuas....best AZ trail ever. Ended up at the base camp...Barfoot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/charest/wheelingchiri.jpg

zj95
11-20-2008, 08:34 AM
bring back a thread!

when we gonna have a GC only run?

zj95
11-20-2008, 08:36 AM
The guy that he is talking about is ZJ95 on here from the 1st page and yes he does have a HP30 trussed and it slammed into his oil pan but he was also being stupid sooo.... more than likely you will be alright. I have an HP30 in mine without a truss and have had no problems with it so far only complaint about it is that where the draglink/tierod (inverted Y setup) comes together it rubs my JKS quicker disco's slightly.

yup that twas mee.... i was drivin about 55-60 on a dirt road hitting some woops... that did it in...

patched the hole with some www.kevinsoffroad.com stickers to get it back home lol