PDA

View Full Version : White Tanks....Clean-up??

ArizonaXJ
01-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey Guys and Gals,
The wife and I had a blast Tuesday with everyone out at the White Tanks HOWEVER, we found ourselves and our neighbors discussing how "dirty" things are getting out there. In our opinion, it is getting to the point to where we are more worried about getting a flat due to glass (beer bottles) or construction debris rather then a sharp rock or stick (mother nature's way of getting some payback :laugh2: at us for playing on her rocks).
In any case, we were wondering what those of you out here on the west side would think about putting together a clean-up out there much like the Table Mesa one?
We have never orchestrated anything of this nature and really wouldn't even know where to begin.
What do you folks think about doing this and what do we need to do to make it happen the way it should be?

Billy 4 hp
01-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Contact "Hackle" via PM, he can help you through the process...

I can tell you this, the Table Mesa cleanup is a partnership between BLM, The Good Gun Club, AZOHVC (I believe), and the Arizona Virtual Jeep Club.

So first your gonna need to find out who own's the land out at the WT, Az State Trust, BLM, Private, etc...

HTH

dieter
01-03-2008, 09:14 PM
I would be up to helping. It is getting pretty bad out there and the main dirt road isn't to pretty either.

Manvil
01-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Whatever I can do I would be in. Have a couple of enclosed trailers and trucks that we could haul trash to transition point.
:drummer:

AZXJ
01-03-2008, 11:29 PM
way to carry on the torch!! The last clean up I did out there netted 3 vehicles, 4 Large dumpsters completely full and a mound of tires a Jeep high.. Lots of AZVJC members helped out in the August heat to make the cleanups a success..

I'm sure many will step up and help!!

Dave

AZXJ
01-03-2008, 11:30 PM
ps. BLM and STATE trust should be involved.. They will provide Dumpsters, Trash bags and If Game and Fish are out they will also help with more supplies..

Dave

1eagle
01-04-2008, 06:54 AM
We would be up for this. I have a truck and flat bed trailer available. It is getting very bad. Over at the dune area it is also pilling up. Jim would deffinately be the best person to go to in order to find out who to contact. Thanks

04jeeptj
01-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Im up for it.

ArizonaXJ
01-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Okay, I sent a PM to Hackle for some guidance and advice. I will see what he says and which way he points me. I will post up info as I get it.
I know that something like this isn't just thrown together in a matter of a few days so it will take some time to put together.

My neighbor was telling me about a place out of state where the trash companies (Waste management or???) "donated" 2-3 large dumpsters at the entrance of an area so that people looking to get rid of trash would throw it in the dumpster rather then in the open. I wonder what kind of act of congress that would take to get something similar? Heck, even a single 40 cubic yard roll off would be a great help out at the tanks and TM.

ArizonaSunshine
01-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Great suggestion. Maybe it will be setup & taken care of before AZ heats up :)

ROKBITR
01-04-2008, 04:12 PM
I can honestly say that, unfortunately for me, I have never made it out to the white tanks. From everyone's feedback and pics, I really want too though. I think this would be the perfect excuse!

FourxDad
01-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I dont think you need a poll to see if it needs the attention of those concerned. If you bring it up then there is just concern for the area. We would be interested in helping, we have helped on the TM's clean-ups and we dont even run those that often. It is a good community and club uniting expierence to participate in. You say it needs done we are willing to be there. Like Rokbitr says "Reason to be there", for we have not been to the "Tanks" yet either.

CarolinaRubi
01-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Im in for this. This area needs it.

jpotts
01-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm up for it as long as it's on a day when I can go.

Skii4x4
01-04-2008, 10:03 PM
this is a great idea. I always have liked wheeling out there but it has always been disgusting. I will go as long as it is on a day that i can make it out there.

rockfinder
01-05-2008, 09:34 AM
My wife and I are in. If I can help in any way let me know. I am moving to Watson and I-10 the last week in Jan. I am looking forward to having the White Tanks for a back yard.

AzCoyote
01-05-2008, 09:56 AM
I will certainly try to be there.... Just post the date...

You know, someone should ask the paper to do a story on this kind of thing for some positive press...

AZG23
01-05-2008, 12:48 PM
SAY WHEN..........if I can get the day off Im there...(cuz Im sure it'll be a saturday)

probable cause
01-05-2008, 03:55 PM
i'm down to help too!

Kelly P
01-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I am in, the area could use it.

mookee54
01-06-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm up for it as long as it's on a day when I can go.

x2

oldsmaxx
01-06-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm definately up for helping out there, it can only get worse so theres no better time than now.

lostoffroad
01-06-2008, 07:34 PM
im in and a few others i know. that area has gone down fast with all the new building out there ease of dumping. i wheel there all the time and have been considering leading a cleanup for a few months now.

06TJWRANGLER
01-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I mention this to a few others a while back ago, but I figured with the amount of people that go out there it will just be the same in a few weeks. With all the people that shoot near watson rd and the large group of people that hangout around the sand dunes, those areas will be hard to keep clean since most people out there dont know how to pick up there own trash. Count me in for sure, as long as its a weekend deal. Id say the best day would be a Sunday. Also there is a guy that owns a dumpster business down the street from my work, maybe I can see what he would charge me if he dropped one out there. Unless you guys got something else planned for that, be sure to let me know.

ArizonaXJ
01-07-2008, 05:31 PM
My wife and I are in. If I can help in any way let me know. I am moving to Watson and I-10 the last week in Jan. I am looking forward to having the White Tanks for a back yard.

Having the White Tanks as your back yard is just wrong! I keep asking the wife about selling our house and moving out to that development right there by the air down spot. You know, being that close, we need to make sure that you have plenty of tools and spare parts available!!!!!!

I will certainly try to be there.... Just post the date...

You know, someone should ask the paper to do a story on this kind of thing for some positive press...

You know, that isn't a bad idea. Get the OHV community some good press. Will look into that once we start getting things a little more ironed out and have a date that most of us can agree upon.

I mention this to a few others a while back ago, but I figured with the amount of people that go out there it will just be the same in a few weeks. With all the people that shoot near watson rd and the large group of people that hangout around the sand dunes, those areas will be hard to keep clean since most people out there dont know how to pick up there own trash. Count me in for sure, as long as its a weekend deal. Id say the best day would be a Sunday. Also there is a guy that owns a dumpster business down the street from my work, maybe I can see what he would charge me if he dropped one out there. Unless you guys got something else planned for that, be sure to let me know.

You're right Dustin. It will be hard to keep clean but, you never know. Perhaps others will pitch in and help. Not everyone is a pig so, you never know. Maybe if we do this it will spawn a little more interest in keeping the area open. Perhaps some "local" area advertising to get some others involved and get the word out. I'm sure as I get more info from Hackle I may be able to get some propaganda to hand out to anyone that may be passing trough that day. Who knows....h**l, we may just be beating our heads against the roll cage but unless we try, we never know.

I'm waiting to hear back from Hackle. He is currently swamped. I don't know what he is swamped in or where hes swamped at but, I do know that he is swamped. He will be getting back with me as soon as he can catch his breath.
Thanks for the show of support so far.

Jim

Ryan
01-07-2008, 06:10 PM
count me in.

Hackle
01-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I will start looking into this area to see what I can set up. Give me some time as the area has a lot of different agencies that all have a piece of the area.
This is a great idea but it will take a lot of work in the background to make it happen.
Jim F.

1eagle
01-07-2008, 06:43 PM
I will start looking into this area to see what I can set up. Give me some time as the area has a lot of different agencies that all have a piece of the area.
This is a great idea but it will take a lot of work in the background to make it happen.
Jim F.

Jim, let me know if I can help in any way. Thanks for all of your help.

Roger

CooL_DaD
01-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I can Help , we can bring 2 Jeeps with 2 Military trailers to load trash into , to bring back to main Dumpsters...Plus I have 3 kids who will be Happy to help clean up our Desert..:smug:
Teaches em young to keep our desert Clean....:)

wolf tracker
01-07-2008, 07:43 PM
I will be more than willing to help with the cleanup

My1stJeep
01-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Ok, Hackle has reached out for me to help, but I don't want to step on any toes if someone has carried the torch. I am willing to call the STate Trust Land Dept, the BLM and Game and Fish. State Trust Land is mostly what we cross to get to our trails and the trails predominately reside on BLM land out there. Everything needs clean up, the other question would anyone be willing to help build a kiosk or signs to try and educate users of the area? We would need the approval of the land management are to do so, but might be a nice to have.

Let me know if you want me to make any calls and help get this thing going. Also we should start picking a weekend, maybe one late January or mid February???? Any thoughts???

Hackle
01-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Also we should start picking a weekend, maybe one late January or mid February???? Any thoughts???

Chris Thank you very much for stepping up and taking this over for me, but I would hold off on a date until you get some Agencies contacts invovled you are dealing with the Government and they do not work that fast. I would hope to be able to set up an April date. If you can pull it off early you have done a heck of a job.
Thank you agian to Chris and all those that brought this to my attention.
Jim f.

ArizonaXJ
01-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Ok, Hackle has reached out for me to help, but I don't want to step on any toes if someone has carried the torch. I am willing to call the STate Trust Land Dept, the BLM and Game and Fish. State Trust Land is mostly what we cross to get to our trails and the trails predominately reside on BLM land out there. Everything needs clean up, the other question would anyone be willing to help build a kiosk or signs to try and educate users of the area? We would need the approval of the land management are to do so, but might be a nice to have.

Let me know if you want me to make any calls and help get this thing going. Also we should start picking a weekend, maybe one late January or mid February???? Any thoughts???

Chris, you're not stepping on any toes. I simply did the initial post asking what everyone else thought about this. I know that the club has done similar clean-ups at Table Mesa and so-on. My wife and I thought that things were getting pretty grungy out there last couple of times we were out so....
I personally have never dealt with something like this so I wouldn't even know where to begin on contacting the various agencies involved.
With that being said; step on any and all the toes you want to!!!
Just let me know what I can do to aid in any way. As for setting a date; since I sort of started this thing, there are some dates as of right now that I would prefer we NOT select since I will be unavailable.
Those dates are: 8-10 February, 1-2 March, 12-13 April, 17-18 May...There is another weekend in April that I will not be able to participate as well. It's just that the date eludes me right now since I have that on my office computer. If we could get more support during the week, I just need to know far enough in advance so that I can take leave.
As for kiosk....I may be able to help out in that department. Do you have any ideas exactly of what you have in mind?

Chris Thank you very much for stepping up and taking this over for me, but I would hold off on a date until you get some Agencies contacts invovled you are dealing with the Government and they do not work that fast. I would hope to be able to set up an April date. If you can pull it off early you have done a heck of a job.
Thank you agian to Chris and all those that brought this to my attention.
Jim f.

Come on now Jim....what do you mean the government doesn't work that fast????........Come up short on your taxes this year and see how fast the government works!!!!

brian lujan
01-14-2008, 09:18 AM
i say feb. 8-10th. it's a long hall 4 me, but good reason 2 get out and some good. it's :party: time.

big jim
01-14-2008, 02:11 PM
If I'm free I'll be there, it needs it bad.

My1stJeep
01-14-2008, 03:18 PM
i say feb. 8-10th. it's a long hall 4 me, but good reason 2 get out and some good. it's :party: time.

I am thinking even later then that, there are alot of members that will be out of town that weekend in Wickenburg for the Gold Rush Days Parade.

This is going to take some time, I have some calls out for the BLM, who has the majority of the land we have our trails on and the STL for the rest of it. By the time we coordinate the dumpsters, etc... that would be too soon.

AZG23
01-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the time and effort on this Chris...its SOOOO needed out there....Appetizer isnt even a trail anymore...its a trash wash.

I dont even take people thru there its so bad. There were a few of us out there Saturday running a few trails...and I stopped and told the shooters that they shouldnt be shooting right off Watson..and that they needed to clean up what they brought..and that MCSO is patrolling the area and issuing tickets ;) Hope that dissuaded a few from coming back to that area right off the bend at Watson.

Shooters arent even half the problem though...alot of people are dumping trash...and I know you've seen it as have alot of others that frequent the area.

Even the airdown has glass, and all kinds of trash laying around.

Tom Schenk
01-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Anyone know, will permits be required to pick up trash?

AZG23
01-14-2008, 05:04 PM
thats a good question.....Im not sure...I would think volunteering to work is different than recreational use...

you could call STL office and ask.

My1stJeep
01-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Much of our work will be on STL, Appetizer is on STL. I am hoping to get permission and maybe some signs from STL if we have some that would be interested in helping install them. We shall see.

As far as I know even to volunteer we need to have the STL permit and should have one anyway. This event will be far enought in advance to obtain the permit.

STL Address to get permits
1616 W. Adams
Phoenix, AZ

ArizonaXJ
01-16-2008, 05:29 AM
For those that live out on the west side; if you want, need or desire a STL permit, I canpick it up for you on my way home from 52nd street and McDowell. I've done this for a bunch of friends so far.
Obviously the US mail system works well also.
Anyone interested though in having me pick up there STL permit, let me know.
Of course it would have to wait until I get back from Kazakhstan.....which hopefully I will still make the XJ Sedona run!
Jim

BTW, anyone thinking that it's cold back home there in Arizona, you should be here on the southern tip of Siberia!

rockfinder
01-16-2008, 09:45 AM
I can put up signs if you get them. I live about 5 miles away from the air down area.

brian lujan
01-18-2008, 09:32 AM
my BAD. any time and date is good just post all the info on the calendar so everyone can join the :party: M-KAY.

brian lujan
01-18-2008, 09:35 AM
my BAD. any time and date is good just post all the info and if we need a permit on the calendar so everyone can join the :party: M-KAY.

ArizonaXJ
01-21-2008, 05:16 PM
So, do we have information from any of the agencies involved yet???
How are we looking for dates? Should we get a thread started with a poll for date selection?

My1stJeep
01-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Jodie and I from the STL are playing phone tag. I called today and had to leave a message, am waiting to hear back.

How far back does everyone want to go? Are we talking about starting near Appetizer and getting back to the Sand Dune? Are we talking about going farther back?

My1stJeep
01-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Ok, phone tag is over.

• I spoke with Bill and they are willing to allow us to do the clean up and are very happy about it. They will supply us the dumpsters. A few things to keep in mind:
• No batteries
• No Wet Paint (if it sloshes in the can it can not go in a dumpster)
• No refrigerators that may still contain coolant
• If we move the burned up cars they cannot go in the dumpsters(we can pile them up in one area and give him a map of where we are leaving them and they will have a towing company remove them)

In addition they are open to us installing signage and even a kiosk. I will ask the AZOHVC for funds for signs and a Kiosk.

We now need to pick a date.

Few things coming up:
• February 9th Gold Rush Days Parade – Many Jeeps will be in parade
• February 23-24 is President’s Day Weekend
• February 29th weekend is out for me as it is my anniversary, sorry wife will not see that as acceptable way for me to celebrate it
• March 9th Is out for me
• March ??? is Easter

So can someone take on making the poll and selecting a date? I think a weekend in March would be best, enough time to plan and get some sponsors to donate bags, water, or???? To help out.

Hackle
01-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Nice job Chris thank you very much for all your work on this.
Jim F.

AZG23
01-23-2008, 06:51 PM
VERY NICE JOB!! thank you!

ArizonaXJ
01-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Wow, things are moving along nicely it seems.
Okay, based on what we have so far, I am going to post up a poll in this section for dates in March. If we can't get enough of us together in March perhaps April.
Everybody following this thread please check out the poll that I am going to post up about this.
So far I want to say thanks to everyone who has helped out and also said that they would help out with the actual clean-up.