PDA

View Full Version : Need Help to install gears and set back lash

Jdemonto
01-01-2008, 09:03 PM
I need to install my new D44 4.88's and need someone that can set the backlash and pinion depth. This could be a great workshop and anyone who wants to learn is welcome to help/watch. I have basic tools, but not the ones needed for this job.

I can supply beer and food!!

Jason

mysunnshine
01-02-2008, 05:03 AM
I'm sure somebody at Airpark could set up those gears for you at a discounted rate.

Jdemonto
01-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm sure somebody at Airpark could set up those gears for you at a discounted rate.

HAHA, Seriously......I want to learn how to do this and when I'm at work there is no time for me to be in the shop learning!

Jason

DesertRat
01-02-2008, 03:32 PM
HAHA, Seriously......I want to learn how to do this and when I'm at work there is no time for me to be in the shop learning!

Jason

X2, I would like to see this done. I have only read about it.
Let me know Jason if you get something setup.

Billy 4 hp
01-02-2008, 03:55 PM
I need to install my new D44 4.88's and need someone that can set the backlash and pinion depth. This could be a great workshop and anyone who wants to learn is welcome to help/watch. I have basic tools, but not the ones needed for this job.

I can supply beer and food!!

Jason

All kidding aside, this is not something for the weekend warrior... I have all the tools to do it myself for myself, but wouldn't consider doing it for someone else as it has to be done right the first time... I've probably done 25 to 30 sets in 15 years... No failures that I know of, knock on wood...

If it's botched up you'll be buying gears and bearings plus fluid and seals all over again... Or at the minimum it will be a short lived install and become noisy or worse the gears will fail in a short period of time...

Take it to a professional that does it more than once or twice a year...

JMHO...

ob1jeeper
01-02-2008, 05:06 PM
All kidding aside, this is not something for the weekend warrior... I have all the tools to do it myself for myself, but wouldn't consider doing it for someone else as it has to be done right the first time... I've probably done 25 to 30 sets in 15 years... No failures that I know of, knock on wood...

If it's botched up you'll be buying gears and bearings plus fluid and seals all over again... Or at the minimum it will be a short lived install and become noisy or worse the gears will fail in a short period of time...

JMHO...

X2...;)

mysunnshine
01-02-2008, 05:12 PM

JMHO...

But that costs money to do that............... It's cheaper to buy beer and pizza you know.....

1 12 pack of beer $12.99
2 large pizzas $24.50

The cost of howling or broken gears- PRICELESS

Jdemonto
01-02-2008, 09:29 PM
OK guys you have me convinced!!! I would like to know how its done!!! Maybe I'll just do a write up!

Jason