PDA

View Full Version : BLM Land Closure

highjeeps
12-26-2007, 07:24 AM
I've never been to this area. Is this were the Butterfield Stage route is?

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1226AZ-OffRoad1226.html

MadManX
12-26-2007, 07:56 AM
I've never been to this area. Is this were the Butterfield Stage route is?

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1226AZ-OffRoad1226.html

Yeah... And it's right near my house too. :(

Long ago (last April I think) when I first got my Frontier (and now have added a Xterra) I did a cleanup with you guys (VJ) in Table Mesa.

I was wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction to possibly make efforts in working with BLM to either help clean up this area (trust me... Lots of trash, and gun shells), or update the trail markers, or anything really. Maybe this would only be a baby step towards a re-opening. But this has been one of my fav trails for testing new mods to my rigs, and the closest trail to my place (next closest is 60 miles away, this one is only 25). I would hate to lose these trails since I'm out there about once or twice a month.

Once I find out what I can do... I will be trying to actively get my regular clubs to help in my efforts. And would hope others would like to help too.

-MadManX of XOC, AZXC, SWANKy, and ClubFrontier

highjeeps
12-26-2007, 08:21 AM
The article says it will be closing sometime in early 2008. I think I might try to get out there to see the trail before it closes.
I worry about the same thing happening to FJ.

06GrnRubi
12-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Did you read the comments people left? This is from someone going by the name of "nativeusa".

Good, I am glad they have closed the area to stupid off roaders. I am a ATV rider myself but I have the utmost respect for the environment. NEVER do I go off the approved trail. It is certainly sad that the idiots have ruined the fun that others like myself have enjoyed.

WHAT AN IDIOT! I have NEVER heard a responsible OHV person, as he/she claims to be, say they are glad to have an area closed. No one who truly enjoys the outdoors wants to see an area destroyed, but neither do they want an area closed so that it cannot be enjoyed by others.

My guess would be that the person writing this comment is actually a tree hugger who wants nothing more than to have every area closed to OHV use. I don't doubt that they are an active ATV rider, but I would bet that they do so in an irresponsible manner with the intent on having areas closed. Many groups use unethical and even illegal proccesses to get to their final goal.

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but this just goes to show why we must all give to organizations such as ASA4WDC and United Four Wheel Drive Associations. There are many others out there who can, as a group, do more than any of us could possibly do alone. Now that the Christmas rush is over, it would be a good time to research some of these organizations and find one or two that you feel could best represent you, and join them.

Desert Dweller
12-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Does anyone know what the exact boundaries of the closure are? The Butterfield trail is just north of SR 238. It's a beautiful area - we just made the run in September. I didn't see any damage there, but then I may not have been looking in the right places as our group was on the trail for the entire run.

I also go into the SDNM south of Interstate 8, near where I live. Funny how they never mention how much of this area is trashed by illegal immigrants. Like most of us, I have packed out trash bags full of stuff that I didn't bring in. Water bottles. Clothes. Shoes. Bicycles. I have seen camp fires that have taken out square yards of area when they got out of hand and could have taken out the whole desert. People walk away from burning fires because they don't want the smoke from a doused fire to give their position away. As a photographer, it breaks my heart to see what was a pristine desert wash full of trash and looking like the drainage from a landfill.

I wouldn't mind handing over a few more bucks to the government if there could be some enforcement and cleanup budgeted for the areas we enjoy. It's too bad that the article like the one linked here is so one-sided and biased.

All we can do, I guess, is keep trying to be responsible and do our part.