PDA

View Full Version : Height question....

pennstater
10-23-2007, 02:07 AM
Is there a difference in stock height between the CJ, YJ, and the TJ? I spent a half hour googling this and can't find an answer.

CaptainMorgan
10-23-2007, 09:19 AM
yes.

CJ's usually sit you up the highest, then TJ's and finally YJ's are the lowest...I believe the Yj is about 1"-2" lower than a stock TJ.

pennstater
10-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Cool, I thought so. So if someone posts for a group run that 3" lift is required, I would be okay with a 2" lift. I just don't want to lift much....other than to make sure there would be room for 33s when I get to that point.

Sedona Jeep School
10-24-2007, 08:19 AM
That is a tricky question--height to WHAT? If you are talking clearance under your axles, then it depends on tire size. If you are talking angles of departure and approach, then it depends on a relative angle of your tires to the low point of your bumpers.

Someone who posts that you need a 3-inch lift to do a run doesn't know much about 4-wheeling. What if you have a 3-inch lift and 28-inch tires? What if you have no lift, but trimmed fenders and bumpers and 33-inch tires? Obviously, the options are endless, but if you have to choose one single most important factor, it is your TIRE SIZE.

And if you are talking stock Jeeps, then just how OLD are those springs? I replaced stock springs with stock springs on a 2005 TJ and the Jeep rose 1.25-inches. Then we can go on to discuss bumpers, lifts, skid plates, etc...BIG can of worms...;)

The point is, ask more questions before determining what "height" you need to do a run.

daniel
10-24-2007, 08:34 AM
That is a tricky question--height to WHAT? If you are talking clearance under your axles, then it depends on tire size. If you are talking angles of departure and approach, then it depends on a relative angle of your tires to the low point of your bumpers.

Someone who posts that you need a 3-inch lift to do a run doesn't know much about 4-wheeling. What if you have a 3-inch lift and 28-inch tires? What if you have no lift, but trimmed fenders and bumpers and 33-inch tires? Obviously, the options are endless, but if you have to choose one single most important factor, it is your TIRE SIZE.

And if you are talking stock Jeeps, then just how OLD are those springs? I replaced stock springs with stock springs on a 2005 TJ and the Jeep rose 1.25-inches. Then we can go on to discuss bumpers, lifts, skid plates, etc...BIG can of worms...;)

The point is, ask more questions before determining what "height" you need to do a run.

Good point!!!!:D I have never thought of all that.

lancetkenyon
10-24-2007, 08:55 AM
X2 with Nena. Clearance at the skid is a big difference too. 97-02 TJs had 1" more at the skid than 03 and up. YJs are low slung, but that helps add stability. CJs are shorter WB and narrower track, so height is a limiting factor. And on, and on, and on.............

Fire Ball
10-24-2007, 08:56 AM
On my skid I take the average of the dents to figure height :D

CaptainMorgan
10-24-2007, 10:37 AM
One thing I forgot to add with my comments was the wheel well size is defferent. I have a '77 CJ-5 and a '05 TJ. The TJ has more room for tires especially in the rear compared to the CJ at the same lift. I think YJ's and TJ's have about the same wheel wells but like I said a stock YJ will sit lower and fit smaller tires than a stock TJ.

OlneyJeeps
10-24-2007, 02:16 PM
One thing I forgot to add with my comments was the wheel well size is defferent. I have a '77 CJ-5 and a '05 TJ. The TJ has more room for tires especially in the rear compared to the CJ at the same lift. I think YJ's and TJ's have about the same wheel wells but like I said a stock YJ will sit lower and fit smaller tires than a stock TJ.

I think the radio is mounted a little higher on dash as well:D

Texas
10-25-2007, 10:38 PM
X2 with Nena. Clearance at the skid is a big difference too. 97-02 TJs had 1" more at the skid than 03 and up. YJs are low slung, but that helps add stability. CJs are shorter WB and narrower track, so height is a limiting factor. And on, and on, and on.............

So is that 1" more clearence or less?