PDA

View Full Version : soft top repai

vollunteer
10-20-2007, 01:37 PM
i need to get a few more months out of my soft top. what is the best way to patch 2 small holes? thanks folks!

Curly
10-20-2007, 07:56 PM
I had allowed a small hole to evolve into a long tear in my top and needed a fix. I wound up using a Iron-on denim repair patch from Walmart. I bought 2 packs, 2 in each pack. I had to overlap mine, the tear was longer than one patch.
I just followed the directions, ironed the ones on the outside first, and then on the inside. The inside patch was more for insurance than anything else.
I have since done a long multi day trail trip, washed it a couple of times, seems to be working fine.
Total cost : less than $2.50

Curly

Joneser
10-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Not sure where you are at but if you take it off and bring it to me I have an industrial sewing machine...only problem might be that I am just north of Prescott.

Joneser

rubicon177
10-24-2007, 03:32 PM
The best fix I found for soft tops is to use a Tent Trailer top repair kit. The material supplied is very strong and its cheap, about $10 to $20 and comes in a variety of colors.

OlneyJeeps
10-24-2007, 04:32 PM
nit thit I've reparied about a dozen or so, patch repair curly mentioned is generally method I use except I do a couple quick loose stiches first (needle/thread), then using small board covered wit part of old iron cover iron patch on inside (almost all have been just above door). I recommend (if you are going to keep Jeep for a while, iron a patch on inside (look at just about every Jeep with top over 4yrs old to see where) BEFOR rips.

Just my .01