PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hitch Question

capringl
10-17-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm looking to have a trailer hitch put on my Jeep and I'd like to upgrade my bumpers. I've noticed that you can purchase bumbers with receivers already built in. My question is will these aftermarket bumpers be able to handle the same load as a regular trailer hitch? I've got an 08 and haven't seen a whole lot of options yet. I'd really like to find a replacement bumber that has the hitch in it because it looks like it would give more ground clearance...is this true? Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks,

UGROWUP
10-17-2007, 09:42 PM
When I got my Warn Bumper with receiver hitch, It flat out said NOT to do any towing. The hitch part is only for recovery. It is not rated to tow any kind of load for a distance.

Jdemonto
10-17-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm looking to have a trailer hitch put on my Jeep and I'd like to upgrade my bumpers. I've noticed that you can purchase bumbers with receivers already built in. My question is will these aftermarket bumpers be able to handle the same load as a regular trailer hitch? I've got an 08 and haven't seen a whole lot of options yet. I'd really like to find a replacement bumber that has the hitch in it because it looks like it would give more ground clearance...is this true? Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks,

You are fine, The JK hitch has plenty of ground clearance. After market bumpers do not tow nearly as much as a true reciever.

Jason

neZZr
10-18-2007, 05:26 AM
You are fine, The JK hitch has plenty of ground clearance. After market bumpers do not tow nearly as much as a true reciever.

Jason
I think that 100% depends on how the bumper is built. I towed quite a bit with my Olympic rear bumper. The hitch was built into the bumper, and it was rated for 2k lbs. I never had a problem with it. I now have a Jeeperman with built-in hitch and it's even beefier than the Olympic was.

Find one that is tow rated, and you'll be fine.

Fire Ball
10-18-2007, 08:16 AM
If you are going to be towing with a receiver hitch it really should be tied into the frame for any real tongue weight. Jeeps aren't designed to tow things any way. People do it all the time. I towed 2 full size jet skies a couple times but I could tell the trailer was a bit more than I should have been towing with that vehicle weight.

neZZr
10-18-2007, 09:09 AM
I tow this 5x8 enclosed trailer with no problems pulling it. After I upped my tire size, the braking was a bit scary, but the Vanco brake kit took care of that.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/neZZr/TBT3.jpg

Jdemonto
10-18-2007, 09:22 AM
With a propper hitch a TJ/JK can safely tow 2000lbs, a LJ/JK 4dr can safely tow 3500lbs..again this is using a propper reciever..not a bumper w/hitch

Jason

capringl
10-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the advice...I'll be looking into installing a proper trailer hitch...I have the 4dr JK and I need the 3500lb rating. I plan on towing our pop-up camper which is about 2000lbs.

Thanks again,

capringl
10-18-2007, 10:01 AM
I tow this 5x8 enclosed trailer with no problems pulling it. After I upped my tire size, the braking was a bit scary, but the Vanco brake kit took care of that.

I'm guessing that the Vanco brake kit was for the trailer? Can you send me some info on this....the pop-up doesn't have brakes and if it helped a lot then I would definately like to look into adding these.

neZZr
10-18-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm guessing that the Vanco brake kit was for the trailer? Can you send me some info on this....the pop-up doesn't have brakes and if it helped a lot then I would definately like to look into adding these.
No, Vanco brake kit replaces the TJ's front brakes with Explorer dual-piston calipers and heavy duty rotors. Big improvement in stopping power.

http://www.vancopbs.com/product_p/dkj1000.htm