PDA

View Full Version : Don't get in over you/your Jeeps abilities

AZG23
10-03-2007, 05:34 AM
Ive seen several threads/situations where someone who is relatively new to wheeling or Jeeps get into situations that could have been avoided.

Please take a minute to "think" about what you are about to get into and if the vehicle is built or capable of getting you there AND BACK.

I think this is a good time to state, that if you are unsure, DONT proceed forward to get into an even more difficult situation. Being prepared is half the battle...being responsible is the other part.

I'm still relatively new compared to some of the members here...and still gaining experience. There is no substitute for seat time. But I have seen more than my share of people going out alone, and needing rescue.

We all do it...but knowing the LIMITS is what gets you home, without risking anyone elses rig, or safety. This is just a heads up and not pointing any fingers at anyone. Just a reminder for your safety as well as those going out to recover.

be safe out there! :D

AZLugz
10-03-2007, 07:29 AM
Good Points

I am still a newb to an extent, i have only been wheeling (other that 4wd Quads) for going on 2 years. My Jeep is built beyond my ability to drive it but My wheeling/Ministry partner, has been wheeling for almost 25 years. He will push me to do and try new things but he is fully aware of my abilities and does not push to far beyond that. You have to extend yourself to learn, but you have to do it safely and with in reason. He has taught wheelrs in Colorado and has a great knack for it.

If you don't know what you are doing, you endanger yourself, the people with you and the trails. There are a lot of very experienced wheelers here that I believe would teach a new person if they asked....take advantage of the knowledge!!

Hunter
10-03-2007, 07:48 AM
To look at this in a light, humorous way... :D Things from my personal expeirence.

If you pull up into the crowd and you have the smallest tires.... you might want to turn around.

If everyone else has a winch and you dont, you might want turn around.

If yours the he only one there with out body damage, you might want to try another trail.

If you go ask the group if they think you can make it without damage or major difficulty and they look at you wince, smile, the look at each other and chuckle... then say, "What, in that? Ah,well, you will be fine.... well.... might pick up a few dings " Definatly turn around.

macinyart
10-03-2007, 08:44 AM
To look at this in a light, humorous way... :D Things from my personal expeirence.

If you pull up into the crowd and you have the smallest tires.... you might want to turn around.

If yours the he only one there with out body damage, you might want to try another trail.

If you go ask the group if they think you can make it without damage or major difficulty and they look at you wince, smile, the look at each other and chuckle... then say, "What, in that? Ah,well, you will be fine.... well.... might pick up a few dings " Definatly turn around.

Oh, :D these are very good points. I find myself in these situations once in a while. After doing that a few times, though, you will be able to look at the list of those going on a run and where they are going and make the decision while "Jeep" is still in the garage. John, great points. :D

ArizonaXJ
10-03-2007, 08:55 AM
All good points gents. There are probably a hundred different posts on this board where the reminders of going out alone and the "Do's & Dont's" are listed.
We all fudge our own rules from time to time for whatever reason. I think that the best thing most of us keep in mind is the times we help out or at least know of someone that needed help.
Just like yesterday; I tried to take the easiest way possible to get to where Elliot's rig was because we were by ourselves in one Jeep. The last thing that I wanted to do was add another rig to the recovery effort. I knew that others were supposed to be in route to help but unless they are there, they don't count in my book. I'm not saying that you guys or anyone else would say that they were coming to help and then not show up but stuff does happen. When my wife called me yesterday to let me know how bad she was feeling, all I could think about was how fast can I get Nessie back on the trail and get back home. I obviously wasn't going to leave Elliot up there by himself but, had my wifed came down sick while on the hardball road, I probably would have turned around.
My Dad always said that the best two things that keep you from doing something stupid (no offense to anyone. The only word that I could think of right now), is fear and common sense. I think that both come with experience. I know since I have rolled I have a lot more fear and respect!
Plan for the worst and hope for the best
And don't forget "MURPHY"!!!!!!!!

Number 7
10-03-2007, 09:09 AM
I say if you take your wife with you, you'll be fine.

;) Di

DOG-BOY
10-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Very true Brad. I've been wheeling for about 18yrs and I know the ability of my rig and in alot of occasions it just isn't able. KNOW WHEN TO SAY WHEN!!!

Tom Jacobson
10-03-2007, 10:52 AM
To further what John (Hunter) said:

If you pull up to a group of vehicles that acutally cost twice what you spent on your rig, but LOOK like they cost less than half yours...it would be a good idea to turn around!

jeff krause
10-03-2007, 01:07 PM

If you pull up to a group of vehicles that acutally cost twice what you spent on your rig, but LOOK like they cost less than half yours...it would be a good idea to turn around!

Ain't that the truth...

azcharlie
10-03-2007, 02:05 PM

LOL..................

DesertRat
10-03-2007, 02:22 PM

OH Man, the truth hurts sometimes... :D

ArizonaXJ
10-03-2007, 03:17 PM
I say if you take your wife with you, you'll be fine.

;) Di

If there was ever a more safe and secure way of keeping yourself in check I haven't seen it.....This one is all most fool proof!

SHNIPE
10-03-2007, 03:23 PM

If you pull up to a run with SHNIPE and start to get scared by his body damage... dont be afraid. He gets body damage at Sahuaro Lake Bunny Runs

And for the smaller tires comment... I just see that as a challenge :D

terron gregg
10-03-2007, 03:59 PM
hahaha this is very funny now but at the time. i showed up to a run got confused with another run that was meating at (bj) with y junk. the run i met up was with lancetkenyon/trailr8ed and other like wise rigs too and nice rigs way nice( a nice rig to me is mangled cut dented but you now down under all thatis some hard earned money) but they were going out to pyette draw now my intentions are to have a rig like that after its paid off but took me like 45 mins after driving on the way there before i realized that my rig was under prepared and gracefully bowed out. after seeing the pics im glad that i did i would of been classified as one of those guys who shows up without a clue

SHNIPE
10-03-2007, 04:01 PM
cant have a clue till you see it for yourself.

terron gregg
10-03-2007, 04:04 PM
i agree but ill just say intimidating looking at all there jeeps on trailers and mine that i drive everyday

SHNIPE
10-03-2007, 04:26 PM
i drive mine every day ... well did :P i will again!

1BLKJP
10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
There is no substitute for seat time.

This is the best advice that I could give also. Get in good with a group of like minded friends and see what your rig can do. I wouldn't suggest having serious misgivings about your ability and a trail if you are looking at a run on the web.

terron gregg
10-03-2007, 04:33 PM
i think when it truly comes down to it im not ready to start beating the complete crap out of it i still have to get it home and drive to work the next week i understand the whole go prepared thing and swallow a little pride

kjflowers
10-03-2007, 05:50 PM
This is why I do most of my wheeling at the airport.

Seriously good point though it makes everyones day A little more fun, when the rigs and the drivers on the run can handle the trail.

06TJWRANGLER
10-03-2007, 05:59 PM
i think when it truly comes down to it I'm not ready to start beating the complete crap out of it i still have to get it home and drive to work the next week i understand the whole go prepared thing and swallow a little pride

"Swallow a little pride" that just doesn't sound right man!!:eek: JUST KIDDING!! :D

I personally not gonna do any crazy wheeling until I get some beefy axles, its my daily driver I cant afford for it to sit in my driveway broken. :D

lancetkenyon
10-03-2007, 06:23 PM
I resemble a lot of that! I remember the Payette Draw meeting, and Terron, you would actually have been OK. There are a ton of optional obstacles, which is what most of the pics were of. There are bypasses for almost all of the obstacles, and lesser lines that will most likely not result in body damage or breakage. I DO think you need to push yourself, or you will never find the limits of yourself and your rig. I always used to be the small Jeep on the trail, and actually still am sometimes. There are obstacles that look totally undoable, but you might just walk up them.

terron gregg
10-03-2007, 07:36 PM
hearing that makes me want to kick my own *** for not going maybe on the next trip out there ill go i should also have my front locker in by then

AZG23
10-03-2007, 08:38 PM
I DO think you need to push yourself, or you will never find the limits of yourself and your rig. I always used to be the small Jeep on the trail, and actually still am sometimes. There are obstacles that look totally undoable, but you might just walk up them.

But alone is NOT the time to try this stuff...If you never try, you wont ever succeed. This isnt the purpose of this thread...its to make sure new wheelers KNOW to use a group for such practice. Not the middle of a river, not the sand banks of the beach, not the side of a cliff, etc.

sms1688
10-03-2007, 09:10 PM
All good points I NEVER go out alone. Its funny I like body damage and my Jeep has more abilities then I do as a driver I do what I feel comfortable doing but I am starting to get ballsier. Just go with a good group of people. Always a good idea to have spares,tools and WATER. All ways remember have fun and dont go by yourself.

ROKBITR
10-04-2007, 02:32 PM
I am still a newb to the sport as well, but I will put in my 2 cents about what I have learned so far.

1) If you are going to play in water or mud, know how deep it is...:o
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/blue88xj/07-08-07_2100-1.jpg

2) NEVER wheel alone!!

offroadaz
10-04-2007, 02:45 PM
I'll admit, Ive wheeled alone several times. And yes there have been several occasions where I have broken down alone and had to be rescued

BUT one of the most important things is I was prepared to spend the night and next day out there if necessary and I told family and friends where I was going and when I expected to be back.

This is probably one of the most important things that gets overlooked. If you wheel or hike alone always tell someone where you will be, the route or trail you are taking and when you expect to be back.

That way if you don't show up around that time they can start looking for you and get a rescue team out there if necessary

ROKBITR
10-04-2007, 02:54 PM
That is true. Not a lot of people think about any of that, I think that's why most people just say "don't wheel alone". I always carry a blanket, extra fluids, etc. I guess that can be added on...

3) Always be prepared

terron gregg
10-04-2007, 03:17 PM
ive been wheeling for a little while now but this is my first jeep and its a 5 speed on top of that things are a little different have come way close to tipping which for me will happen just a matter of time but not used to the jeep i guess and its ability's

lancetkenyon
10-07-2007, 08:47 PM
ive been wheeling for a little while now but this is my first jeep and its a 5 speed on top of that things are a little different have come way close to tipping which for me will happen just a matter of time but not used to the jeep i guess and its ability's

You would be REALLY surprised how far a Jeep will actually go before it flops. I would say around 45* or so is REAL close to tipping. A lot of times, you feel much tippier than you really are.

This is about as close as you can get to flopping.............and then you do.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14453&stc=1&d=1191815212

Mobius
10-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Good point on not wheeling alone. I was out with my dad and a couple of his friends last Saturday up near New River (West of I-17) and his buddies' CJ almost rolled after it lost traction and slid sideways down the hill about 10'. Took four of us an hour to dig it out and get back on the trail. If he'd been alone, little chance. If he'd flipped while alone, zero chance...

EDIT: speaking of the smallest tires comment: That's why he didn't make it up the hill. He was running 30 X 9.50's on his CJ, and just couldn't keep traction in the loose, rocky hillclimb.

Sedona Jeep School
10-11-2007, 08:32 PM
...If you wheel or hike alone always tell someone where you will be, the route or trail you are taking and when you expect to be back...
Good advice! It is one of the basic preparedness elements we teach at Jeep School. The key to this advice is tell someone who will notice and CARE if you don't return as planned! :D

You can't learn your limits unless you push them a bit--but know when is a better time to push them: with a group of buddies on a nice day versus by yourself at sunset time. More accidents happen at the end of the day when folks are mentally and physically fatigued. More accidents happen on easy roads because folks let down their guard.

Rookies and veterans alike make mistakes. Today I drove into a huge mud hole and bogged down before I realized I forgot to put it into 4-wheel-drive. Duh! (Yes, I did just touch up my blonde roots...) I preach using 4H as soon as you leave pavement, and 4L whenever you find yourself below 10 mph on an unmaintained road.

I also preach scouting on foot if you are uncertain of the terrain condition AND reading the tracks of other vehicles. In this particular circumstance, there were numerous deep slimy water-filled ruts that slid sideways into the hole, and many that were littered with boards and rocks, indicating that a number of people had dug themselves out here. Did I get out and check the firmness? Did I heed the obvious stuckness that others had recently experienced? No. I didn't even remember to use 4! :o

If I followed my own advice all the time, I would never get stuck! :D

P.S. I did manage to get myself out, but not without using a few dirty tricks, and with much smirking on the part of my passenger.

Billy 4 hp
10-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Good point on not wheeling alone. I was out with my dad and a couple of his friends last Saturday up near New River (West of I-17) and his buddies' CJ almost rolled after it lost traction and slid sideways down the hill about 10'. Took four of us an hour to dig it out and get back on the trail. If he'd been alone, little chance. If he'd flipped while alone, zero chance...

EDIT: speaking of the smallest tires comment: That's why he didn't make it up the hill. He was running 30 X 9.50's on his CJ, and just couldn't keep traction in the loose, rocky hillclimb.

I honestly don't agree with the big tires guarantee... Or a winch, or a big lift & twisty suspension, lockers, etc etc etc...

Ever seen what came stock on a flat fender Willy's 1940's era??? A whopping 6.00 x 16 NDT, roughly 28 inches tall and a whole 6 inches wide... In the right hands, it amazing where this lowly vehicle can go / climb in stock form... No lockers (nothing was available back then), no power steering or brakes, heck it only had 60hp if it was running right...

My point is the most well built rig with a novice driver is just that a novice, the vehicle is no better or worse than the person behind the steering wheel making the decisions...

JMHO....

Mobius
10-12-2007, 07:05 AM
I didn't mean to say that equipment is everything. Heck, if it were, I would have been one of the greatest mountain bikers of all time back in the day... :) My point was that this particular situation proved too much for his rig, and we assessed that it was likely the too-narrow tires that were the culprit.

Billy 4 hp
10-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Mobius,

I'm thinking these tires would work fine in most situations.... Only 9.50 wide....

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Images/47446/47446-md.jpg

Now here are a few pictures of real working Jeeps, outfitted with narrow tires...

http://www.ajeepthing.com/images/jeep_fc.jpg

One of my favorite Jeep photo's of all time...

http://www.ajeepthing.com/images/jeepjumping.jpg

My point being in situation that you were in was that I doubt that tires were the only factor in the vehicle making a successful climb up the rocky hill....

Unfortunately since they do not look as cool, narrow tires are under utilized IMO... Heck I'm guilty myself....

JMHO

rokndaz
10-14-2007, 09:04 AM
I've been over my head ever since I got a jeep. Thats part of the fun. WHEN YOU STRECH YOURSELF BE SURE YOU HAVE SOMEONE FOR SPOTTING AND RESCUING. I found out the hard way. Jeeps are amazing, they will do things you can't believe or get stuck in the darndest places. Have fun-be careful !

OlneyJeeps
10-14-2007, 09:57 AM

that hardly ever happens to me:eek: (ok, usually I am with people who have spent 8-20 times what I have spent on mine:eek::D)