PDA

View Full Version : what kind of lift should I run

TJer
09-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Im looking for a lift for my 1999 TJ.:confused: Iam not sure what brand Iam looking for something thats good for the trail and the road in a 3 link or 4 link in something between a 3-4.5 inch lift. And what size tires to run with the lift.
Thanks

tomfooshee
09-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Different size lifts for taller tires.

3" lift 31" tires
4.5 33" tires
5.5 35" tires

I run a 5.5" lift with 33" x12.50 X 15 tires.

I'd talk to Joe at Absolute Offroad for a mechanical opinion. Bepending on what you want to do he can give you some better advise.

He sells and installs lifts like a lot of other vendors and sponsors, but he can really help you research what you want and make you really happy with your Jeep.

TJer
09-30-2007, 07:59 PM
ok thanks where is Absolute Offroad located?

Erich
09-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Actually 31's will fit under a stock TJ with no lift, and if youre on a budget (like me), the 2" daystar budget boost is only about $80 and youll be able to fit 33's under it with no rubbing if you go with the right backspacing on your rims. Thats what I am running, and at butcher jones today I went anywhere I wanted with NO rubbing.

tywilson88
09-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Different size lifts for taller tires.

3" lift 31" tires
4.5 33" tires
5.5 35" tires

I run a 5.5" lift with 33" x12.50 X 15 tires.

I'd talk to Joe at Absolute Offroad for a mechanical opinion. Bepending on what you want to do he can give you some better advise.

He sells and installs lifts like a lot of other vendors and sponsors, but he can really help you research what you want and make you really happy with your Jeep.
hyjack had 35's on a 3.5" i think

Fire Ball
09-30-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm running 2" spacer lift, 1" body lift on 33' but I do rub once in a while, nothing hard, just grazing the plastic flares a little and also hits the control arms on really tight turns. But I run this suspension to its limits and get tires off the ground a lot.

Now that said, lifts are as varied as opinions about them. Talk to your friends, the vendors, read magazines.

One thing to consider is what type of wheeling do you want to do. Are you looking for a lift to get around the mall parking lot and just get some big tires or are you looking to go out and really test your metal on some nasty trails?

If you are going to abuse your rig, don't scrimp on the lift. If all you want is lift and put a little rubber under it, go ahead and go cheaper. By cheaper I mean the types of components, not quality.

There are some people here, myself included who wheel pretty hard on pretty simple lifts.

Clear as mud? :)

AZXJ
09-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Fire Ball is spot on.. What type of wheeling do you plan on doing? The other question is what kind of budget are you working with ?

For high quality reliable suspension kits We recommend. Rubicon Express or Rock Krawler, for the budget minded wheeler, There are kits from Rancho, Super lift, Tera Flex, Pro comp, Daystar and Skyjacker. They all serve thier purpose, it's up to you to determine what is going to best meet your suspension needs.

Dave
480-288-4213

TJer
10-01-2007, 04:37 PM
thanks for all the info. I think Im going to look into rubicon express

Wayco
10-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Rubicon Express and Rock Krawler are both top of the line kits, Dave at Desert Fab. knows his stuff, as does Joe at Absolute Offroad. 4 Wheelers Supply is also a good shop and all of them support this forum. You can get more info. here:
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

If you talk to Joe at Absolute, he can break it down and custom fit a setup for you, but you will probably end up with Rock Krawler. That's what I did. I did run 35's with my 3" Terraflex lift, but that was with the Poison Spyder crusher corners and tube fenders. Don't think you would be able to do that with stock flares.
The best advice I can give is get out and wheel your rig, get in on some of our runs and talk to people who wheel. Watch what works and doesn't on the trail. If you are just buying it to look good, it doesn't matter, but if you intend to take it off road, do it now and do it often. Even a stock Jeep is quite capable, and we have runs for every level of Jeeper. Just find some dirt and pull that lever all the way back to 4 low.... :D
**Does anybody besides me get a rush out of pullin' the lever all the way back?**

SHNIPE
10-01-2007, 05:44 PM
4" of lift for up to 37s with a small body lift or as in my case... a big effin hammer

lancetkenyon
10-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Too little info for an educated answer.

What type/difficulty of trails would you like to run?
DD or trailer queen?
Budget?
Looks vs. performance?
Custom or kit?
Shop install or do-it-yourself?
Weld on or bolt on?
Tire size you want?
Wheelability or comfort?
Do you have a warranty and want to keep it or not?

azcharlie
10-02-2007, 10:45 PM
The RE 4.5" SA superflex is a great starter lift. You can run up to 35" tires and it comes with everything you need in one kit. Don't waste your money on the RE 3.5" kit. With that kit you will end up spending more money in the long run getting parts it didn't come with.

Andrew F
10-03-2007, 07:33 PM
The RE 4.5" SA superflex is a great starter lift. You can run up to 35" tires and it comes with everything you need in one kit. Don't waste your money on the RE 3.5" kit. With that kit you will end up spending more money in the long run getting parts it didn't come with.

I like my 4.5 RE Superflex lift a lot. I went with the 3.5 inch springs though. I am still sitting over 4 inches of lift with 20,000 miles with sliders, winch, hardtop, and rear swing out bumper.

Teal-J
10-03-2007, 07:47 PM
I like my 4.5 RE Superflex lift a lot. I went with the 3.5 inch springs though.

Same here - but I only have a couple hundred miles on her.

ROKBITR
10-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Anything Rubicon Express! Try a 4.5'' w/ 38'' Iroks...:D j/k. Rubicon Express really is the way to go. 35's with a properly backspaced wheel would be good.

TJer
12-20-2007, 10:04 AM
thanks for all the info, altho I liked the rubicon express kit I am starting to lean towards the teraflex LCG kit, I really injoy being a member of this club everyone are the nicest and most helpful people, again thanks:)

lancetkenyon
12-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Stick with the RE, better local support. I run the RE 5.5 LA kit with 37s. No rub at all. Of course the sawzall has been an integral part of my wheeling/wrenching experience. I could easily fit 39s with just a little rear wheelwell trimming. It is important to make sure your bumpstops are setup correctly though.

Bilt4Comfort
12-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Full Traction has some decent ones. We're gonna put this one http://www.full-traction.com/detail.php?MODELID=24&MAKEID=1&TYPEID=1&PRODUCTID=414&NOTES= on the JK with 35s on Pro-Comp 7189s.