View Full Version : PART 1: ZJ Custom Rear Bumper Fab

09-13-2007, 06:22 AM
Well I finally step up to a ZJ, Tywilson88 brought his ZJ over and we got the factory bumper off. After fitting pieces like I use on the TJ bumpers we finally decided to just prefab a new custom rear bumper. So here are some pics of what we got done, 9 hours of prefabbing. It all paid off though so far this bumper is looking even cooler by the hour. Hope you guys enjoy!! I will post up pics tomorrow night of the rest should have it finished.

The start plastic bumpers yuck!! lol

Got her empty in the back!!

2"x3" is are starting point

Yeah so I didnt get in detail when making these sides, trying to save the time and get em done. Just got done tacting them makin sure everything fits good.

Just weld them and grind them smooth!!

09-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Again make sure everything fits good after welding and grinding them. Perfect!! Now the next side!!

A picture of me flipping this big beast over welding everything on up.

Ok I know you dont do this, but I been welding for 8+ years so I can weld with my eyes shut or use the tip of the nozzle to block the weld. Besides im just filling and grinding.

More pics soon, I need to go to bed and get some sleep.

Rogue XJ
09-13-2007, 08:10 AM
looking great so far! I know how long the process can take, having built my own from scraps for my XJ.... even a simple idea can take hours if you want a well done/clean job. keep up the good work :)

Papa Mo
09-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Looking good!! Waiting on the day I'll get mine done...ahhh sooo many mods ..so little money:(

Kelly P
09-13-2007, 09:10 AM
So far its looking great, good work!

09-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks, I just got a weak 6 hours of sleep lol! Lots of Pepsi, should keep me wired like it did lastnight.

09-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Lookin good there DB, can't wait to see it in person

09-13-2007, 04:14 PM
it is sick, to bad we didn't get a pic of it to the stage it is at now

09-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Did you check clearance when you stuff that tire? It looks like it needs to be cut back a little, or maybe concave...

09-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Nice work. Now all ya got to do is teach me to weld :D..... How heavy would ya say that beast is?

09-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Did you check clearance when you stuff that tire? It looks like it needs to be cut back a little, or maybe concave...

yeah, i think before we put it on we are going to cut it more. the tire will definately get into it.