PDA

View Full Version : Are we going to loose most of the Coves trails?

Gordo
09-10-2007, 07:05 PM
I found this on the Tonto Forest website. Looks like it includes the coves area. Has the stay on the brown trail sign statement.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recreation/rogs/ohv/RollsOHVArea.pdf

Number 7
09-10-2007, 08:37 PM
I think all Forestry Service information packets say that you must stay on the trails marked with the vertical trail markers and this one is no different. I think all the trails at the coves are pretty much listed on their little map, so I don't think it means we're losing any trails per se, just that we need to stay on the marked ones.

If you mean you think we are we losing trails out there because every single one that exists is not marked, then I guess so. People have wheeled with disregard to those markers for so long that there are many trails that are not marked, thus not on their map. But it doesn't mean we're losing any I don't think. It just means we're supposed to stay on the marked ones.

GRUNT
09-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Good analysis No#7. The coves has been sooooo overridden it is not a suprise that most of the paths out there are not listed. Honestly of all the times I have been out there, I have not seen these markers. Some may wrongly assume, as I have done, that the immediate area is an open area. Now that also doesn't mean I condone blazing paths everywhere, just have ridden on many out there already there...

Allen
09-10-2007, 10:22 PM
I've never noticed brown fiberglass poles:confused:

I'll have to look next time!!;)

GLEN REAMS
09-11-2007, 02:49 AM
I've never noticed brown fiberglass poles:confused:

I'll have to look next time!!;)

There are only a few out there anymore. Some got ripped out of the ground by stupid people, and most roads dont have them because they were self made.

CaptainMorgan
09-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I sure hope not, I've bene going there since I had my drivers liscence. That place taught me how to drive in the desert. Hopefully the Govt understands what a huge attraction places like that are, hell I drive down from Flag in the summer to wheel and swim there, then spend $1,200 at 4Wheelers when I break thus pumping money back into the AZ/local economy.

azdesertrhino
09-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately, eventually, we will lose all of our trails. The people that want to close the trails seem to be very vocal and well funded.

The folks that say they want to keep the trails open don't get involved until the brink of disaster.

Then you have the morons that don't stay on the designated trails, leave their trash everywhere and ruin it for those of us that tread lightly.

Hopefully I will Be proved way wrong!!

I found this on the Tonto Forest website. Looks like it includes the coves area. Has the stay on the brown trail sign statement.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recreation/rogs/ohv/RollsOHVArea.pdf

Number 7
09-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Unfortunately, eventually, we will lose all of our trails. The people that want to close the trails seem to be very vocal and well funded.

The folks that say they want to keep the trails open don't get involved until the brink of disaster.

Then you have the morons that don't stay on the designated trails, leave their trash everywhere and ruin it for those of us that tread lightly.

Hopefully I will Be proved way wrong!!

Hey, let's try to keep a positive attitude! If we are to be defeated, let's go down fighting. If we all start to think there's no use, that the greenies have more power than us, then they will for sure have their way.

I agree that they seem to have more money and organization behind them, but that's what gives me incentive to try to become better funded and organized. And yes, the people who try to ruin wheeling for us by leaving trash are a big problem. That's why I'm becoming more interested in this Ambassador Program and Peer Patrol. I think those types of programs are step in the right direction.

I'm not just going to roll over.

Just my $.02
D

Sandee McCullen
09-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Before everyone gets their butts in a tangle.......... the Tonto foresters are NOT trying to close anything to OHV but the huge numbers of ILLEGAL WILDCAT trails in the Rolls area may make the decision for them. Tonto took the first step to offer an OHV area for our use only to see it almost totally destroyed because of the huge number of "cross country" trails. An OHV designation does NOT mean we can go wherever we want. Yes, there will be a number of trails closed and the designated ones will be signed but WE will be consulted so it's up to each of us to attend the Tonto FS planning meetings. We cannot put it off on a handful of our fellow enthusiasts. The environmentalists are not trying to close this area however the grazing lease holders are. Because the OHV yahoos that believe they can open gates or go wherever they please..... we do stand to lose a lot. Hopefully the newly formed OHV Ambassador Program will soon have the money to include Sycamore and the Rolls. In the meantime WE need to encourage responsible use of the area and/or report those that are not.

Sandee McCullen
10-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Who do we report irresponsible wheeling too? What information do we give and what action can we expect be taken after its delivered?

If the OHV Ambassasor program hits this area I'll be happy to participate.

Do NOT confront anyone............ if you find inappropriate behaviour or outright illegal activity simply write down as much information as possible (license #; description of vehicle, persons, what's going on and where) and contact the Mesa Ranger District.

Tonto main office: 602.225.5200
MESA Ranger Dist: 480.610-3300
Tammy Pike, OHV Mgr for Tonto: 602.225.5253

Art Wirtz, Mesa District Ranger followed through on the Jeep found broken down on a single track trail in the north section of Sycamore that was reported to him. Violator received a $500.00 fine. WE need to be a part of the solution. It can work and it's not wrong to report our own when they are the reason we're losing trails.

Hopefully next year will bring the OHV Ambassadors to this area.

Sandee McCullen
10-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Where can we get a copy of the actual trail system out there so we know what is designated and what isn't... thnx...

I'll look into an "original" plan but I'm doubtful of finding such a thing. For the time being simply staying on the major routes and NO CROSS COUNTRY will work for now. With it looking like Lower Sycamore access will soon be closed for a lengthy time FS will find a lot more activity at the Rolls so they will have to do something out there. ( the Friends of Sycamore are trying to convince Mesa Ranger Dist. there needs to be "something" for access until the new entrance is complete).

sunroom2004
10-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Where can we get a copy of the actual trail system out there so we know what is designated and what isn't... thnx...

Try this link below...it's the best one I've found so far...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/recreation/ohv/rolls.htm

Miles2go1979
10-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I went out there last week and was disgusted by all the trash, I even stumbled upon a campfire that wasn't put out. I had my shovel and a huge jug of water so I put it out. Nothing ruins a beautiful vista of the lake more than a pile of beer cans meat wrappers and a burnt out mattress :( Except maybe the whole desert catching on fire :rolleyes:

GRUNT
10-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Sandee, does the FS have a reserve ranger program? I would be willing to donate my time to bust these jerks out there destroying the environment. I too have been going out there since a teen and would like it to be open for my kids!:mad:

Sandee McCullen
10-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Sandee, does the FS have a reserve ranger program? I would be willing to donate my time to bust these jerks out there destroying the environment. I too have been going out there since a teen and would like it to be open for my kids!:mad:

No, sorry they don't but the OHV Advisory Group connected with State Parks that deal with the OHV money (Gas Tax and Fed Hwy grant dollars) have started an OHV Ambassador group. These volunteers will help be the eyes and ears out there. We're hoping there will be the dollars and numbers to include Sycamore and the Rolls in the program in 2008. This first year pilot program includes the Boulders (Carefree Hwy @ M.P. 12); Granite Mtn and Bartlett Lake area; parts of Table Mesa & Castle Hot Springs; and Florence Jct & Desert Wells.

We can all "report" abuse or misuse at any time. Get pictures, license #, vehicle info etc and report to Mesa Ranger District. We (OHV) found a Jeep broken down on a definite single track trail last year. Through pictures and license # the owner was tracked down and fined $400.00. Hopefully that was a significant notice full width vehicles do NOT traverse a animal path or single track intended for bikes. It won't take a huge number of violators to be caught to cut the abuse quickly.