PDA

View Full Version : OHV Creates $4 BILLION Economic Positive Impact In AZ

rubicontrail
09-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Not sure if any of you have seen this:

http://www.azstateparks.com/partnerships/ohv/OHVEcon/az_ohv_econ.pdf

It shows the economic benefits that off-roading brings to Arizona.

Andrew F
09-04-2007, 08:47 PM
That was definitely interesting to read. I never would have thought that the OHV community spends that much money, but when I actually think through how many people do it and how expensive so stuff is, I see where it comes from.

Number 7
09-05-2007, 08:24 AM
I wonder if it would be appropriate to send this article to the Coconino people? Just a thought . . .

Sandee - are you here? What do you think?

1BLKJP
09-05-2007, 03:25 PM
I wonder if it would be appropriate to send this article to the Coconino people? Just a thought . . .

Sandee - are you here? What do you think?

If you are going to send replies and letters on any OHV issue in AZ it is pertinent and appropriate to state facts that you find in articles like these. It's even better if you actually quote the article and give a citation so that the land management agencies know where they can find the info if they want to look further.

OHV is a huge business for California, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado etc.....It's time we all start banding together and making our impacts known. It's the businesses that we really need to make realize that if they don't support what we are doing and the land gets closed then no one will be buying the parts, and permits, and vehicles to recreate with.

Number 7
09-05-2007, 03:54 PM
If you are going to send replies and letters on any OHV issue in AZ it is pertinent and appropriate to state facts that you find in articles like these. It's even better if you actually quote the article and give a citation so that the land management agencies know where they can find the info if they want to look further.

Yeah, I was hoping to get away with just sending it to them via email b/c I'm leaving town tomorrow. Don't have time to write them a nice report on the article. :(

OHV is a huge business for California, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado etc.....It's time we all start banding together and making our impacts known. It's the businesses that we really need to make realize that if they don't support what we are doing and the land gets closed then no one will be buying the parts, and permits, and vehicles to recreate with.

God, just the tires alone!!! :eek:

Crossing my fingers on the Coconino thing - the count down begins! Hopefully enough of us responded. I actually feel for those people who have cabins on roads that banshee riders dust out. Another case of a few ruining it for so many, IMO. I'm starting to think the peer patrol and ambassador program are the only way to go . . .

1BLKJP
09-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I was hoping to get away with just sending it to them via email b/c I'm leaving town tomorrow. Don't have time to write them a nice report on the article. :(

Go right ahead, It can't hurt. Just make sure to put a little blurb on your message about yourself and how you like to recreate.

Number 7
09-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Here's what I wrote; I hope it makes sense b/c I'm in a hurry:

Good Afternoon to you,

I wrote several emails to you earlier about my views regarding closure of all but 25 miles of OHV Trails in Coconino National Forest. I am an avid ATV rider and Jeeper who is very strict about staying on designated roads, taking out everything I take in (and more, I usually clean up any trash I see), and respecting others rights to clean air and quite surroundings. When I am on a road that passes a campground or neighborhood I alway slow way down to keep the dust and noise down.

I would like to see more enforcement of traffic and littering laws rather than the closing of roads. Many of the ATV's I've seen breaking the speed limit, making clouds of dust and lots of noise aren't even licensed to be on the county roads, and I wonder how people get away with that.

Not sure if any of you have seen this:

http://www.azstateparks.com/partners...z_ohv_econ.pdf

It shows the economic benefits that off-roading brings to Arizona. This is another reason I believe you can't just close all the roads up there, it would be economically foolish for the state. Why don't we shut-down the few Off-roaders and ATV riders that ruin it for the ones who respect laws and other people rather than shut down the forest?

Respectfully,

Diane Zalman
Fountain Hills, AZ

Andrew F
09-06-2007, 04:09 PM
We do need to be able to site facts like these in letters that we send. Is there anyplace were we can keep links and references to helpful/important material like this?

1BLKJP
09-06-2007, 04:19 PM
We do need to be able to site facts like these in letters that we send. Is there anyplace were we can keep links and references to helpful/important material like this?

Good call Andrew. I've added in the useful links thread in Land Use.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=11545

Andrew F
09-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Good call Andrew. I've added in the useful links thread in Land Use.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=11545

Cool. I forgot about that thread. We should all go through there so that we aren't called out by some one (politically or every day) on a topic of land use and have either no response, or worse, an incorrect response.

GRUNT
09-09-2007, 07:22 PM
I thought, from reading another thread, that they are not actually closing "all the trails except 25mi" in Coconino. During the thread someone completely read the info/notice/bulletin and said the closure is on quad/single track trails. THis wouldn't bother me because every person I have seen riding a quad/cycle within the last 3 years had NO regard for the environment/other riders/safety. They mass produce the crappy bikes in CHina so now EVERYONE has got one for their kids and does not teach them riding ediquette(sp?) Nor do the adults seem to care anymore. They trash everything... Including the washes and greenbelts around my home. When I was little we'd walk our bikes to the wash and ride them in the desert, on trails only... Both ways, uphill, in the snow... :D j/k

1BLKJP
09-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Allen, I understand your frustration however education of the young people on responsible riding is what we need to help OHV recreation for generations to come. If we start "Allowing" closure of trail miles then we open ourselves up to more and more and more and more. All of OHV needs to work together to protect the land we recreate on.

BeaterXJ
09-10-2007, 10:33 AM
interesting article, i was talking to the skyjacker rep. that was @ the shop the other day and he was saying that az. is were all the big money is spent in off-road sales, he said that it generates more money in az. then in cali.
(which is good for andy and i:D)

1BLKJP
09-10-2007, 03:53 PM
interesting article, i was talking to the skyjacker rep. that was @ the shop the other day and he was saying that az. is were all the big money is spent in off-road sales, he said that it generates more money in az. then in cali.
(which is good for andy and i:D)

Beater, this is a great reason for you all to get your shop involved in ORBA and also talk your vendors into joinging if they aren't already a part. ORBA is taking notice of Arizona and has come to our aid with quite a large donation of funds for the AZOHVC's lobbyist this year.

macinyart
09-11-2007, 07:13 AM
The Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle coalition is a positive force on this issue. Information is available there that doesn't always show up here on this forum. www.azohv.org will get you there. Information there is available for state wide issues and updates on some of the legal maneuvers are also seen there. The people who are on this coalition are led by Chris K, Don H, Jeff G, Jim F,(Hackle) and last but not least Sandee Mc. Take a look and participate in the cleanups and the like. :D

T.C.'S TOY
09-17-2007, 07:18 PM

Well stated Jack....Thom(T.C.'S TOY)

desertrubi
09-18-2007, 06:42 AM
I actually feel for those people who have cabins on roads that banshee riders dust out. Another case of a few ruining it for so many, IMO. I'm starting to think the peer patrol and ambassador program are the only way to go . . .

I just came back from hunting up there and learned a few things. The locals that live back in the woods around there are some of the worst ones for dusting out people. Where we camp at there is a couple ranches in there and they run about 40 to 45 through there.

I was happy to see that they got rain over labor day weekend though. We noticed that it kept the quad riders down a lot. On a side note, they tend to push the deer in closer to the camps. Gives me a shorter walk.

When is the final day for the Coconino stuff? Am I to late on this or do I still have time?

Fire Ball
09-18-2007, 07:35 AM
The people who run the forests are fully aware of the articles out there and also fully aware of the economic impact. They are also fully aware of the environmental impact we make.

The sole purpose of the forest service and parks dept. is to preserve the future of the land. Their goal is not to keep groups of users happy. Their goal is protection of the land. Period. If our goals aren't the same, we will be out of business.

Quad sales are up something like 350% in the last couple years. Quads and bikes are now more than 50% of OHV users and trucks/jeeps are about 37%.

Us jeepers will soon be out numbered 2 to 1 as far as users. Sandie Smith, Pinal Co. supervisor said that quads are a real problem in our county. We are NOT getting the word out guys :(