PDA

View Full Version : And here we sit, waiting for FR-42 to open ...

AZrubicon
08-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Public to hear habitat plan for endangered species (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0829srp-birds0829.html) at Horseshoe and Bartlett Lakes.

jeeperapril
08-29-2007, 10:04 AM
I did not read anywhere in the article that the area is closed. Is that where you are, and is it closed? Bummer for you if it is:eek:

macinyart
08-29-2007, 10:39 AM
FR 42 is closed last I saw. This issue sounds like something different. SRP will "adjust" water levels in the two lakes to protect the nesting areas of birds that have moved in while water levels were low. This is direct evidence that they can actually change their nesting sites/habits. Does this mean that nests in the willows will prevent SRP from allowing the reservoirs to fill? How does this make sense? Should the water supply for millions be cramped to avoid flooding some nests that are new to the area and proof that the birds are flexible in their nesting habits?

AZrubicon
08-29-2007, 11:01 AM
I just think that the "wildlife habitat" could end up being larger than the footprint of the lake itself and could include the land around the lake, i.e. where FR-42 exists.

tomfooshee
08-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Yea the birds get to nest in the places where the fish use to lay their eggs to preserve their specis. How unfair is that. At least the birds can fly to another spot, and the fish have less water, not to mention the farmers crops etc.

Allen
08-30-2007, 12:07 AM
:rolleyes:Just more proof that some guy that went to college thinks he knows more than Mother Nature!!

Lets go hunt the birds!! (cant.....their endangered:eek:)

Sandee McCullen
08-31-2007, 01:43 PM
:rolleyes:Just more proof that some guy that went to college thinks he knows more than Mother Nature!!

Lets go hunt the birds!! (cant.....their endangered:eek:)

How true.............. one of these days they "might" figure out they "CANNOT BEAT MOTHER NATURE".

Re; FR42........... it's within Tonto, Cave Creek boundries and we are still working on this issue. The entire area will be fenced and gated by permit (Like Bulldog Wash area). We are working on Cave Creek Ranger allowing VJC to adopt FR42 and be allowed into the closed area to do maintenance and rebuild to the trail. Haven't reached that agreement yet but we will.
FR 42 is, at this time closed to the public but it will be opened................... maybe we'll have to reroute parts of it. That remains to be seen.
More as I know ......................