PDA

View Full Version : Airing down????

Lumpster
08-26-2007, 11:11 PM
OK. Newbie here and learning allot.

I hear everybody talk about airing down and compressors/air tanks. I have done very little 4wheelin.

Most of my driving will be highway till I get to trails or hunting spots I want to get to (I can see the need when rock crawlin). In the past, we have just pulled of the highway and onto the road then trail and few days later back onto the road/highway? Never aired down or messed with the tire pressure at all.

Does it make for a better (more comfortable) ride and will it give me better traction? I would also think I would loose clearance???? I dont mean for rock crawlin but for rough trails. Will one converted C02 bottle be enough to refill all 4 tires? Thanks.

TAGIPURIT!!!
08-26-2007, 11:36 PM
If your just driving down dirt roads it maybe a waste. Airing down make the ride more comfortable on dirt roads and increases traction. A co2 bottle can fill many tires how big?

TAG

Lumpster
08-26-2007, 11:48 PM
Running 33x12.50x15 BFG MT?....... I cant decide if I should get a compressor (may even be cheaper than a bottle) or just mount a bottle?

I am thinking a compressor would be better for me as we go to town when hunting to knock a few back???....... Bottle may run out if hunting/camping for more than a few days??

We go to Big Bug Mesa (south of Prescott) and the trails just beat us up. We probably should have been airing down all these years even if trucks/cars/whatever.........

ademster
08-26-2007, 11:58 PM
We can discuss this when I am there tomorrow... How ever I wont be in my jeep...

to far top drive with no a/c and well the gas millage is horrible in the jeep right now.

GLEN REAMS
08-27-2007, 12:42 AM
Running 33x12.50x15 BFG MT?....... I cant decide if I should get a compressor (may even be cheaper than a bottle) or just mount a bottle?

I am thinking a compressor would be better for me as we go to town when hunting to knock a few back???....... Bottle may run out if hunting/camping for more than a few days??

We go to Big Bug Mesa (south of Prescott) and the trails just beat us up. We probably should have been airing down all these years even if trucks/cars/whatever.........
incase you and adam didnt go over this. Airing down makes the ride on dirt roads a lot smother and you will be less likley too get a flat tire if something happens to poke the side wall of your tire while traveling threw rocks/dirt. i usually air down too around 15-12 when out in dirt roads and washes like sycamore creek or butcher jones that way i can drive fast threw the washes and not worring about getting a flat from too much air or throwing a bead on the tire from too little air. when in the rocks crawling i usually run 8 pounds of air. Hope this helped you some way or another!
-Glen

Lumpster
08-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Now thinking I need a compressor and bottle......This Just Empty Every Pocket thing is sooooooooo true. It is addicting.

GLEN REAMS
08-27-2007, 01:09 AM
Now thinking I need a compressor and bottle......This Just Empty Every Pocket thing is sooooooooo true. It is addicting.

HAHA ya it is! i just got a harbor freight plug into the cig. lighter compressor only takes about 20 min too fill my 35inch tires from 8lbs too 25lbs and the bottle will work but alot of times if not mounted outta harms way in the jeep something will knock the valve open and then once you go too air up you have no air left...

AZLugz
08-27-2007, 05:21 AM
I run an underhood mounted ViAir compressor with a tank on the back and it works really good. I air down to 10PSI when out playing

Sedona Jeep School
08-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Airing down does improve your traction by increasing the amount of rubber you have on the ground at any given time. It is useful, even if you are on "just dirt roads". For example, when we were at the North Rim, we got on a long section of washboards and the Jeep wanted to float all over the place. Let the air down to a conservative 20 pounds, and instantly the ride and handling improved. Remember, even "just dirt roads" are significantly less tractive surface than any paved road.

But, you are right--everything has a trade-off. Not only are you decreasing your traction, you are also exposing more of your weak sidewalls to abuse. How much you air down depends on the terrain you are in, but first and foremost, the tires you are running. It sounds like you may have stock or near stock tires on your rig? If so, you will want to be very cautious about airing down below 20 pounds.

And if you are running 31's or smaller, a cheap and simple $50 portable air compressor would be enough to fill your tires to a safe level for highway travel. Fast, no, but unless airing down is something you will be doing on a regular basis, a CO2 set-up may be more than you need.

Just my .02!

Happy trails,

Wayco
08-27-2007, 07:26 AM
I run both Co2 and a compressor, but I'm way into overkill. Used the $50 Costco/Pep Boys compressor for a couple of years, it works OK until it gets hot. Now that I have 35's, I put in a Co2 tank. A lot faster and quieter. I think the gang that I usually wheel with got tired of waiting for my noisy compressor to get the job done..

Hardline
08-27-2007, 07:49 AM
got tired of waiting for my noisy compressor to get the job done..

imagine that

CaptainMorgan
08-27-2007, 08:07 AM
What are some of the options out there for air? I was just thinking of getting a tank or a compressor. I would be mounting the tank inside the Jeep, so no real chance of it getting knocked around. What size is good? Where do you get it re-filled? How long will it last, or should I say, how many tires will one tank of air pump up? Can you run air tools off it for a short time?

Wayco
08-27-2007, 08:34 AM
1.) What size is good? 10# works for most folks, 4 or 5 refills on 35" tires.

2.)Where do you get it re-filled? Thunderbird cylinder. They can do it while you pay for it, really nice fire truck desk too.
http://www.macraesbluebook.com/search/company.cfm?company=746038

3.) How long will it last, or should I say, how many tires will one tank of air pump up? Depends on how big your tires are.

4.)Can you run air tools off it for a short time? Air tools are no problem, but if you want to use them, you might consider a larger (20#) tank.
After reading all your questions, I realized that you didn't say "Co2 tank", all of my answers were based on the 10 lb. Co2 Powertank. http://www.powertank.com/

Alex G.
08-27-2007, 09:48 AM
How are other members about 'lending' air or use of their compressors?

of course i'll give the air back! j/k Since i'm new & never air'd down, just would like to see what its all about before buying something. Since i'm still running stock tires, it'll be awhile before i'm running low air or would need the equipment.

AZLugz
08-27-2007, 09:51 AM
I usually make sure every one in the group (that wants to) is aired up before I bail. I commonly carry the portable MV-50 from my quad also and I set other people up with that while the on-board air is filling mine

Wayco
08-27-2007, 10:12 AM
My Powertank (Co2) is easy to remove, just a lever release away from other rigs.

CaptainMorgan
08-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Hmm...I know there would be a place up here to get it filled, I wouldnt want to drive to Phx every time I aired down. I'm thinking a 20# Powertank might be what I need.

Billy 4 hp
08-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Link to a datasheet for CO2 air tank from The Source...

http://www.offroadtuff.com/sourcetechdata.htm

Hivemind
08-27-2007, 02:38 PM

of course i'll give the air back! j/k Since i'm new & never air'd down, just would like to see what its all about before buying something. Since i'm still running stock tires, it'll be awhile before i'm running low air or would need the equipment.

Most guys with tanks are ok with helping out, compressors too, but you need to find out before you get it too deep. Tanks run out and compressors get hot, check with the folks you are running with to figure out air up possibilities before you airdown. cruising to a station at slow speed is an option as well.

STUS4X4
08-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Most welding shops can fill the tanks for you. Most can also do the required tests on the tanks.:D

GRUNT
08-27-2007, 03:13 PM
I have an ARB so I was using my compressor to air back up. Doesn't take too long with the 33" tires. Besides if you have been sitting all day it is good to stretch. I have a friend that let me on to a jeep set up for CO2. He got a bottle and bracket from a welding shop, he is a welder anyways. Threw on a regulator and now he can fill 35" tires til the cows come home before he needs a refill and it does it QUICK compared to the compressor. The weld shops can refil and test for you when needed. I just recently got the set up to try it out, plus it is set up for air tools in case I need to go out and help someone who got in a jam....(I am not naming any names....) It is a little bigger than the average bears tank but who knows. The whole set up with fill cost me less than 160. You can get different sived bottles to fit anywhere in your rig....

Jdemonto
08-27-2007, 03:14 PM

To be honest I would help anyone, Before I got the stauns (for quick airdown) and the warn powewrplant for quick air up I would ste there with a AP gauge and hold everyone up letting the air out and just drive slow to a station to air back up..some act like their compressor is a tooth brush and won't help. Just buy a cheap one until you get more serious on the trail. Pepboys has them for $50 or do like what I did for years..drive to a station and have alot of time and quarters!

Jason

GRUNT
08-27-2007, 03:25 PM
..some act like their compressor is a tooth brush and won't help.
Jason

Man, ain't that the truth. I help everyone because that is who I am but you'd think people would help because they would want it if the tables were reversed! :rolleyes:

Alex G.
08-27-2007, 03:47 PM
To be honest I would help anyone, Before I got the stauns (for quick airdown) and the warn powewrplant for quick air up I would ste there with a AP gauge and hold everyone up letting the air out and just drive slow to a station to air back up..some act like their compressor is a tooth brush and won't help. Just buy a cheap one until you get more serious on the trail. Pepboys has them for $50 or do like what I did for years..drive to a station and have alot of time and quarters!

Jason

Cool, thanks guys. Looks like i'll have something to do with all that spare change in my cup holder. (before i head over to Pepboys)

Fire Ball
08-27-2007, 04:32 PM
I run a harbor freight air comp with a 10 gallon air tank. I pressure up the tank on the way out to the trail and I can air up all 4 tires with the air in the tank. Then I have the compressor to help other people air up if they don't have it or theirs breaks.

Plus in the summer time the small compressors tend to over heat so it is nice to have the tank backup. Plus I can run air tools for a little while too :D

The Compressor is hard mounted to the fender wall in the back and the tank is mounted to the old rear seat hinge point so it won't flop when I flop :D

OddBallXJ
08-27-2007, 04:53 PM
It's never a bad thing to have air on your rig at all times. A flat tire, a plug, but no air still equals being stuck. I carry a VIAIR on my tow rig and 1 or 2 10# bottles of CO2 on the jeep. I'm also into overkill. I ran 3 or 4 weekends and filled 3-4 vehicles each weekend on the 10# tank. The tires ranged from 31's to 35's and ran filled the tires from 10#-35# each time. The downside to CO2 is that when the bottle is empty, it's empty and there's little warning. (that's why I carry 2). When it gets hot the pressure relief valve can blow and you'll lose the CO2 so I don't store the tanks in the jeep (anymore- guess how I figured that one out :rolleyes:). The CO2 will allow you to run air tools as well as reset a bead.

There are some threads on building a CO2 setup for a reasonable cost. Check out Stu-offroad.com

KennethS
08-29-2007, 12:25 AM
Last time I was at Costco they had the MV-50 (or its equivalent, the MF-50) for right at $50. I bought one of these online a while back and tested it on my 32 inch BFG ATs. I was able to air one tire up from 5 psi to 25 psi in about 3-3.5 minutes. Not bad for a $50 compressor. It puts out around 2.4 scfm, from what I remember, which is comparable to the portable ViAir compressor.

lancetkenyon
08-29-2007, 05:28 PM
I run a Quick-air II, when I do air up. Most of the time, I leave the tires at 5 PSI and trailer it. Airing down greatly improves the ride, as the tires are more pliable, and act as a second shock absorber. The main reason we air down is for the gain in traction. The more rubber you put in contact with the rocks, the better adhesion you have, resulting in greater forward movement. When you air down, the tire deflects, or flattens out. It gives you a greater contact patch, which gives traction. Also, when the tire is softer when aired down, it can conform to the rocks better, and helps to resist punctures of the sidewall or tread area. It is better to have your own air up methods, rather than relying on someone elses. Go prepared as much as you can. For a 31" Radial tire, I wouldn't go much less than 12-15 lbs. And you will lose a small amount of clearance, but worth it with the other advantages. Just listen to your spotter.

T.C.'S TOY
08-30-2007, 03:53 PM
OK. Newbie here and learning allot.

I hear everybody talk about airing down and compressors/air tanks. I have done very little 4wheelin.

Most of my driving will be highway till I get to trails or hunting spots I want to get to (I can see the need when rock crawlin). In the past, we have just pulled of the highway and onto the road then trail and few days later back onto the road/highway? Never aired down or messed with the tire pressure at all.

Does it make for a better (more comfortable) ride and will it give me better traction? I would also think I would loose clearance???? I dont mean for rock crawlin but for rough trails. Will one converted C02 bottle be enough to refill all 4 tires? Thanks.

Ya airing down is probly the best thing you can do offroad for comfort better traction and it is one of the best things you can do and it's free....T.C.:)

tywilson88
08-30-2007, 04:49 PM
man those Co2 tanks are quite pricey. i think im going to go the harbor freight way, i already have the air tank

Wayco
08-30-2007, 05:18 PM
man those Co2 tanks are quite pricey. i think im going to go the harbor freight way, i already have the air tank

Ty, read what I posted on another thread:

I bought a kit from these guys:
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/home.php?cat=11
The first time I used it the hose blew up all over the trail! Beware of cheap stuff, it can backfire on you.
My reccomendation is to get quality parts from Powertank.com.
I bought the replacement hose here:
http://www.powertank.com/products/sfID1/16
You can find fixed pressure regulators locally at welding supplys sometimes, but remember what I said about cheap.....

It's great when you can save a few bucks on an upgrade, and I'm not pimping the powertank, but if you are going cheap, be careful of the hose! If I hadn't had on a pair of glasses, it could have done permanent damage to my eyes! Polyperformace has cheap regulators, and you can find them locally, but please don't use a cheap hose, spend the money for the right equipment. Be sure that you secure the tank too. OK, I'm getting down off my soapbox now.....