PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacers

Lumpster
08-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Just wanted to get thougths on wheel spacers. Searched the site and havent seen any reviews or pros/cons of them. I am thinking of getting 1.5" wheel spacers (running 33x12.50x15 on stock axles).

I want a wider stance for safer ride on highway and better handling? Are they hard on axles (I would think they would apply additional pressure on axles via leverage)? Any recommendations on brand, size, and are they good for ride/wheelin?
Thanks.

Devil Man
08-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Just wanted to get thougths on wheel spacers. Searched the site and havent seen any reviews or pros/cons of them. I am thinking of getting 1.5" wheel spacers (running 33x12.50x15 on stock axles).

I want a wider stance for safer ride on highway and better handling? Are they hard on axles (I would think they would apply additional pressure on axles via leverage)? Any recommendations on brand, size, and are they good for ride/wheelin?
Thanks.

i liked mine (http://rides.webshots.com/album/410924079ggKLjW)

scully
08-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Most seem to recommend against them. Others have not had any issues. The reason that people/shops go against them is that spacers add more strain to the unit hubs.
I was shopping around for some awhile back, and all that I spoke to said to go with wheels with less backspacing. I ended up picking up some wheels from 4wheelers with 2.75" backspacing. They have worked well for me and I haven't had any problems/rubbing with them. The cost for four wheels was also a bit cheaper then the spacers for what its worth.
Shoot Cole @ 4wheelers or Dave @ Desertfab a pm, they set you up right!

RokNRich
08-21-2007, 02:03 PM
There is alot of information out there in regards to lug centric and hub centric wheels and spacers. Are your axles hubcentric or lugcentric ?

After much thought and debate, I decided I would rather run hub centric spacers than lug centric wheels. Spidertraxx are expensive, but hub centric.

I'm usually wrong though and end up doing things 2-3 times.

search hubcentric and lugcentric on different sites for background. Here's a couple threads from this board:

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=18618&highlight=hubcentric
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=18046

danno
08-21-2007, 03:18 PM
I have been running spacer / bolt pattern converters (1.25 spacers which convert 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern to 5 on 5.5) for a while now... I gotta say, I have not had any problems with them.

I would recommend Spidertrax, that I what I have. They are a bit more expensive than others, but they are top notch quality, and I don't think you would want to skimp on quality when it comes to holding your wheels on.

Crawldit
08-21-2007, 04:47 PM
I've got some 2" hub centric spacers that I bought off Ebay. I've been running them now for about a year and close to 30k miles without a problem. That's with both 35" and 37" tires. It's my understanding that a rim with (for example) 5" of backspacing that you use in conjunction with 1.25" spacer does not create any more stress than a rim that has 3.75" of backspacing. Spacers will take some maintenance. I hit the bolts with my torque wrench whenever I rotate the tires and have yet to have one be loose. You do need to check them though.

ROKCRLR
08-21-2007, 05:11 PM
I've got some 2" hub centric spacers that I bought off Ebay. I've been running them now for about a year and close to 30k miles without a problem. That's with both 35" and 37" tires. It's my understanding that a rim with (for example) 5" of backspacing that you use in conjunction with 1.25" spacer does not create any more stress than a rim that has 3.75" of backspacing. Spacers will take some maintenance. I hit the bolts with my torque wrench whenever I rotate the tires and have yet to have one be loose. You do need to check them though.

X2

Running spacers is the same as runing less backspacing from a leverage standpoint.

AZLugz
08-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Whether you run odd spacing on your rims or spacers, if the weight of the unsprung load (wheel/tire/lugs/etc) is not centered over the mounting area, it will cause leveraged force. That being said, most do not cause enough leveraged force to cause significiant problems in a reasonable amount of time. If you were running 2" spacers and and your wheels were another 2" off the center (total 4"), that could cause some problems. We ran heavy offsets and spacers on the race car on certain tracks and it would stress the centers of the rims but that is about it and we ran a lot of offset at high speed with a lot of torque and HP.

A lot of bs to say that it should be fine if you don't get crazy. :D

Hunter
08-21-2007, 06:24 PM
If they can handle Junk's abuse.. you be fine.

I have a customer who has spacers on his 4-Runner and ha sbeen running them for years... And run them hard. No issues. Full size rigs or trucks, tough as to the extra weight, but Jeeps are pretty light.

lancetkenyon
08-21-2007, 08:38 PM
I run 2" spacers also. I run them pretty hard, too. No probs. I DON'T tighten mine every time I check the tires, I red Lock-tite mine on and torque them to the recommended 140 ft/lbs. Never come loose yet. Got mine from a club member for $100 for all 4. WAY cheaper than new aluminum rims.

Lumpster
08-21-2007, 09:56 PM
I dont "have" to have them for clearance. I guess I really dont need them. Is the ride better with them? I am thinking of highway stability. I will be driving with 2 children and am worried about roll overs??????

lancetkenyon
08-22-2007, 05:22 PM
A way to determine if they will have a detrimental effect on the driving ability or ride.......draw an imaginary line through the upper and lower ball joint. It will be at a diagonal line, pointing slightly out at the bottom. This imaginary line should cut through the middle of your tread where it hits the pavement. This is an optimal point. With this equasion, the farthr out you go with the spacers or backspacing, taller tires are needed to counteract.

Close to correct.
Hard to draw a straight line freehand.:o
With 39s, it would be perfect. That is what I keep telling my wife anyway.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13211&stc=1&d=1187828534

tywilson88
08-22-2007, 11:14 PM
i got 1.25 on mine. no problems. it looks cool too

TanTJJim
08-22-2007, 11:39 PM
A way to determine if they will have a detrimental effect on the driving ability or ride.......draw an imaginary line through the upper and lower ball joint. It will be at a diagonal line, pointing slightly out at the bottom. This imaginary line should cut through the middle of your tread where it hits the pavement. This is an optimal point. With this equasion, the farthr out you go with the spacers or backspacing, taller tires are needed to counteract.

Close to correct.
Hard to draw a straight line freehand.:o
With 39s, it would be perfect. That is what I keep telling my wife anyway.

Hey lance, is what you're talking about related to scrub radius? If it is I think you just made me a little smarter.

GRUNT
08-23-2007, 09:11 AM
I went with different offset on new rims..... I didn't know so many people ran spacers.

Frisbie
08-24-2007, 02:10 PM
If you have a CJ spacers are almost a must.I have Spidertracks 1.25 inch and the feel of the jeep is much more comfy on and off the road.If you want thicker Toys by Troy makes them to order{spendy tho}

CaptainMorgan
08-24-2007, 05:35 PM
I have 2'' spacers on the Cj-5. I think they make it more stable and thus safer, Discount Tire will not touch it now:( Said they have some dumbass policy about not touching spacers.

Frisbie
08-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Strange discount replaced my tires with spacers on about a year ago.Must be new policy?

xjstocker
08-24-2007, 09:35 PM
i run 1.5 on my toy to counteract the wider rear axle. hey hunter has that runner left since the winch class? it is a very stout unit. i know who im calling for what ever i cant handle.

xjstocker
08-24-2007, 09:36 PM
BTW discount has a lot of new policys

CaptainMorgan
08-25-2007, 01:38 PM
they used to be my store, but now I am jsut not sure...I want someone who doesnt cry lawsuit as soon as he sees something I put on my Jeep.

joedokes28
08-29-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm also running spidertraxx spacers. These are a great product and I have had no issues.