PDA

View Full Version : Trails and your new STOCK Jeep...

John_P
08-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Senior members please feel free to inform. I provided a space for you...

xjstocker
08-11-2007, 10:57 AM
box canyon, montana mountian

xjstocker
08-11-2007, 11:00 AM
broken arrow, anything ive run in my explorer :p

John_P
08-11-2007, 11:21 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of describing the different threads and trail options in the Trail forum...What trails are appropriate for their jeep, why we post rig requirements, and what will make fellas like Travis (LKD TJ) and Lance upset.

Carry on.

Jdemonto
08-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Crown King can be done in a stock YJ/TJ/ZJ/XJ with oversized tires and a JK stock will do fine

Jason

danno
08-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Crown King can be done in a stock YJ/TJ/ZJ/XJ with oversized tires and a JK stock will do fine

Jason

Stock TJ will do just fine as well... We did it with a Stocker running 215 75 R15 Tires.

Papa Mo
08-12-2007, 08:01 AM
The Great Western Trail Forest rd 24 (a small part of this trail...it runs from Mexico to Canada)& Agua Fria Nat Monument.Forest rd 269(also know as Bloody Basin Rd) both these trails are in the Tonto Nat. Forest & can be done in Stock Jeeps...It is a nice ride

TRLR8TDTJ
08-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Trail Ratings Used on This Site

NOTES: Trails are rated by the most difficult obstacle that must be navigated (no by-passes available). Hence a 25 mile "2.0" rated trail that has one obstacle that MUST be winched over would be rated a "5.0"

+ A plus sign by the trail rating indicates that this trail will have obstacles that are more difficult, and/or have many obstacles. For instance, a "4+" will be Difficult 4WD trail with many 4.0 rated obstacles and some optional 4.5 rated obstacles. Example: Upper Woodpecker

- A minus sign by the trail rating indicates that this trail will be less difficult, and may have only a few obstacles. For instance, a "3.0-" trail will be mostly a Easy 4WD trail with one or two non-optional obstacles that are more challenging. Example: Lake Pleasant to Crown King

Individual trails will vary, contact the trail leader of a given trip for more information.
Trail Ratings 0 through 2.0 are only given as a reference; most trails on this site will be rated 2.5 or higher.

0.0 Highways: These are paved roads suitable for everyday traffic.
0.5 Back Roads: These are paved roads that may have filled or unfilled potholes. Typical paved county roads.
1.0 Maintained Dirt Roads: These roads are graded or maintained year round. Typical non-paved county roads.
1.5 Semi-Maintained Dirt Roads: These roads are occasionally graded or maintained. They may cross sandy washes and sections may be rough (washboards).
2.0 Easy 2WD/4WD: Features trails with obstacles that are easy to navigate. In optimum weather conditions, these trails may not require the continual use of four-wheel drive (4WD).
2.5 Easy 4WD: Moderately demanding trails on which 4WD will be required. You may encounter a wide variety of challenges (Potholes, minor washouts, medium size rocks, and mud holes) on these trails. Higher ground clearance and Off-Road tires are recommended.
3.0 Standard 4WD trail: Demanding trails on which 4WD is required. You will encounter a variety of more difficult challenges (loose rocks, large potholes, steep inclines, and large rocks) on these trails. Possible with stock 4WD vehicle, however, recommend traction device (limited slip) in rear differential, aggressive tread and low air pressure. Higher than stock ground clearance is advisable. Low range gears used often. Moderate experience and driving skill advised. Likely paint damage, possible rocker-panel damage.
3.5 Challenging 4WD trail: Challenging trails on which low range 4WD is required. You will encounter a variety of more difficult challenges (loose rocks, large potholes, steep inclines, and large rocks) on these trails. Not recommended with stock 4WD vehicle. Traction device (limited slip) in rear differential, aggressive tread and low air pressure highly recommended. Higher than stock ground clearance is advisable. Moderate experience and driving skill advised. Likely paint damage, possible rocker-panel damage.
4.0 Difficult trail: These trails traverse very rugged terrain; low-range 4WD is required. Higher than stock ground clearance is required. Aggressive tread and low air pressure are required. Traction Devices (Lockers or limited-slip) in the differentials (front and rear), lift, and larger tires are highly recommended. These trails require above average Off-Road driving skills. High-Lift jacks and winches would also be helpful. There will likely be paint damage and possible vehicle body and/or mechanical damage.
4.5 Extreme trail: These trails cross extremely rugged terrain with very steep inclines, large boulders, and potentially dangerous situations. These trails require modified vehicles, including lift, lockers, and over-sized tires. A High level of Off-Road driving skill is required. There will likely be paint damage, possible vehicle body and/or mechanical damage. There are possibilities of rollovers. Winches are recommended.
5.0 Impassable trail: These trails are for the extreme four-wheeler only. These trails require highly modified vehicles, including lift, excellent articulation, lockers front and rear, large tires with aggressive tread, winches, high lift jacks. A High level of Off-Road driving skill is required. Paint damage is virtually guaranteed, body and/or mechanical damage is very likely. Rollovers will be more common on these trails and a winch will be used on at least one obstacle.

Is this what you are looking for? I found it on other AZVJC. I think this should be posted in trail section.

Kyle

lancetkenyon
08-15-2007, 07:13 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of describing the different threads and trail options in the Trail forum...What trails are appropriate for their jeep, why we post rig requirements, and what will make fellas like Travis (LKD TJ) and Lance upset.

Carry on.

Like smart alec comments.(edited for family values)

Billy 4 hp
08-15-2007, 09:01 PM

Jason

Crown King (via Lake Pleasant) can be done in a 4wd stock anything as long as it has a transfercase with low range and a driver that has some common sense.... :rolleyes:

I prefer Table Mesa to Seven Springs as described in the Wells book over CK any day though.... JMHO

joedokes28
08-16-2007, 10:02 PM
...what will make fellas like Travis (LKD TJ) and Lance upset

I guess since Don quit, this guy can get away with murder.

amber.hodge
08-17-2007, 06:27 AM
The Battle Axe trail out past florence is really a fun one and I am positive you can do it stock....just whatever you do....DO NOT LISTEN TO THE TRAIL BOOK AND TRY TO FORD THE GILA RIVER AT THE LEGAL CROSSING POINT TO THE TOWN SITE OF COCHRAN...YOU'D BE BETTER OFF TO WADE ACROSS - TRUST ME! :D This trail also takes you in the back way to the coke ovens so that you can enjoy seeing a view of them without wrecking your junk....but make sure it is open/legal to go to them. I believe they are closed - group - correct me if I am wrong...

As far as trail requirements, you can look at the way trails are separated. If you want to go run a trail, make sure you meet the minimum requirements. This is not only for your safety and enjoyment but also for the safety and enjoyment of the whole group. Injuries can happen when someone is not yet experienced enough for the harder trails without a good leader and they can also happen when you wheel a stock jeep on a 3.5 trail. If anyone ever tells you that you may be wise to stay back from a trail, you may want to heed their advice. It's not because they don't like you - it is them looking out for you. :D

Wzzl13
08-19-2007, 11:51 AM
FR42.... if it was open that is. This was the first trail my wife did by her self. She was in a '00 XJ with 31" AT. I've ran this trail three or four times and has been fun everytime.

p14175
08-19-2007, 08:41 PM
OHV recreation is very popular in Arizona. OHV activities add over $3 billion per year to the state's economy. That means you will be sharing the trails with a lot of other 4x4s, ATVs, motorcycles, etc.. It also means that you may encounter traffic jams, accidents, and who knows what else on some of the more popular trails. In addition, remote areas of the state are also corridors for smugglers and hideaways for people not wanting to be found. So be careful!

Being optimistic and using the 80/20 rule (this is a SWAG. It could be 90/10. It doesn't matter, but it will never be 100/0), 80% of the people recreating on public lands on any given day are responsible users. The other 20% aren't. It's that 20% that give OHV recreation a bad name and that's why so many environmental groups have been pushing to ban motorized vehicles from public lands.

I know that's a lot of negative stuff, but it's something to any newcomer to the OHV community needs to understand.

I can't tell you how to act on the trail. That's up to you. What you do or don't do reflects back at the Arizona OHV community. If you decide you want to be in the 20% group, you're just helping the environmental groups justify their cause. If you are in the 80% group you are just slowing down their progress a little bit.

And to assist John_P in his quest :)

* FR4 between Superior and the Ajax Mine is a good stock 4x4 trail. Driving the trail west-to-east has the benefit of being able to stop in Superior for an ice cream at the local DQ before heading for home. This trail has short steep climbs, loose rock, some washouts, small ledges, and great scenery. I would rate it a bit above 2.5, but not as high as 3.0. Regardless, you should never go 4-wheeling alone.

lancetkenyon
08-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Broken Arrow in Sedona. Suitable for a stock vehicle with adequate ground clearance and skid plates. A short trail with BEAUTIFUL scenery. Challenging but not overwhelming for a first timer.

hharvey
08-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Broken Arrow in Sedona. Suitable for a stock vehicle with adequate ground clearance and skid plates. A short trail with BEAUTIFUL scenery. Challenging but not overwhelming for a first timer.

Is a jeep with adaquate ground clearance and skid plates still stock? I thought if you lift a jeep, put large tires on it, or add things to it is no longer stock.

lancetkenyon
08-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Is a jeep with adaquate ground clearance and skid plates still stock? I thought if you lift a jeep, put large tires on it, or add things to it is no longer stock.

Any STOCK TJ or Rubi has adequate ground clearance and skid plates. Along with a lot of other 4X4 vehicles. Even stock XJs have made this trail.

06TJWRANGLER
08-22-2007, 02:46 AM
White Tank Mnt has some fun stock trails!!

1BLKJP
08-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Please also utilize the actual trail report section. We have done a good job of outlining the requirements we have felt best about which will allow one to enjoy the trail and maybe even provide some sort of a challenge. The descriptions that Barry and Life have put together over the last couple years are very detailed and useful.

We could use some more also. Post em up. :D Oh, and John you've been on here for a long time if we combined all your names. :D You know some of the good trails for stock jeeps. You wheel very good with your equipment.

John_P
08-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Please also utilize the actual trail report section. We have done a good job of outlining the requirements we have felt best about which will allow one to enjoy the trail and maybe even provide some sort of a challenge. The descriptions that Barry and Life have put together over the last couple years are very detailed and useful.

We could use some more also. Post em up. :D Oh, and John you've been on here for a long time if we combined all your names. :D You know some of the good trails for stock jeeps. You wheel very good with your equipment.

Thanks for the compliment....I have to admit though, that I rely on the senior members of this board to give me the scoop on a trail and spot me through the challenges...

hharvey
08-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Any STOCK TJ or Rubi has adequate ground clearance and skid plates. Along with a lot of other 4X4 vehicles. Even stock XJs have made this trail.

I did not understand what you meant by adequate ground clearance and skid plates I thought you were talking about aftermarket improvements. :o