PDA

View Full Version : Question for Sandee

ROKCRLR
08-07-2007, 05:32 PM
I attempted to PM this to Sandee and decided to just post it up instead. This question is for Sandee or anyone qualified to answer it.

I'm not sure if you have seen any of the recent posts regarding Martinez Canyon and the condition of the loop. But we have been discussing it and it brought up a question I was hoping you can answer. What are the rules about repairing trails that are eroding away? Several of the switchbacks on the Martinez loop have places that are very washed out. One in particular is not much wider than a Jeep now. I fear that a few good downpours and it will be impassable to anything wider than a quad. I'm under the impression that filling in the washed out places with dirt or sand would essentially be the same thing as rock stacking, which I know is not cool.
Is there any way we can get permission to repair washed out sections of a trail if it is becomming impassable? Or someone we can notify who can go out and repair it? I'd hate to lose the ability to run the full loop out there.

BTW, here is the thread we have been discussing it on if you're interested:
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...t=24349&page=5

Thanks,
Kevin

highjeeps
08-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Nothing wrong with eliminating hazard IMO.

ROKCRLR
08-07-2007, 08:16 PM
I figured there is probably a way to do it with proper authorization from the BLM or whatever agency governs that. I just want to know what the proper way is. I'll even offer to lead a group out there to do repairs.

RokNRich
08-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Martinez is almost in it's own special category. The only thing I can tell you for certain is that anything that happens in that canyon gets reported and may have adverse effects for all of us. This time last year a tree was blocking the path for a while (can't find the thread ??). We almost lost the trail then, it took weeks for us to get BLM to OK clearing the tree, at one point it was signed CLOSED. In the meantime a bypass had been cut and that got us in more trouble. Since the thread is gone, here are the pic's.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/roknrich/IMG_4239.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/roknrich/IMG_4238.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/roknrich/IMG_4237.jpg

Here's a thread that I could find, there is an email address in the first post. You want answers ? Ask Francisco, maybe you'll have better luck than the rest of us.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=15838&highlight=cabin+tree

You answered the your own question Kevin. Only the BLM (Tuscon office) can authorize any repairs. No one should be organizing a "repair" party without their authorization.

Sandee McCullen
08-07-2007, 10:06 PM
I attempted to PM this to Sandee and decided to just post it up instead. This question is for Sandee or anyone qualified to answer it.

I'm not sure if you have seen any of the recent posts regarding Martinez Canyon and the condition of the loop. But we have been discussing it and it brought up a question I was hoping you can answer. What are the rules about repairing trails that are eroding away? Several of the switchbacks on the Martinez loop have places that are very washed out. One in particular is not much wider than a Jeep now. I fear that a few good downpours and it will be impassable to anything wider than a quad. I'm under the impression that filling in the washed out places with dirt or sand would essentially be the same thing as rock stacking, which I know is not cool.
Is there any way we can get permission to repair washed out sections of a trail if it is becomming impassable? Or someone we can notify who can go out and repair it? I'd hate to lose the ability to run the full loop out there.

BTW, here is the thread we have been discussing it on if you're interested:
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...t=24349&page=5

Thanks,
Kevin

We have an MGCP meeting next week (AUg 15) in Florence. I'll bring this issue up but for information now: We cannot do anything without the land manager doing an EA (Environmental Assessment) evaluating "how" to repair and "what to use". My suggestion is to ADOPT this trail which will lock all the maintenance and impacts onto OHV. Most likely they're not going to do anything at this time because my best guess is this canyon will be closed to motorized use in the very near future. The Alternatives should go to the public sometime in the fall........
I'll get back to all with results from the MGCP meeting.

Actually ANYONE is welcome to join us.......... 9:00 a.m. in Florence.

ROKCRLR
08-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the info Sandee. What all is involved in adopting a trail? Would it help to keep it open if they are considering closing it to motor vehicles? If it's something the club might be interested in doing we might want to look at that.

Sandee McCullen
08-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the info Sandee. What all is involved in adopting a trail? Would it help to keep it open if they are considering closing it to motor vehicles? If it's something the club might be interested in doing we might want to look at that.

Whether we can STOP a closure I don't know. At this time Martinez is the #1 issue the anti-access groups are pushing HARD to close. Our stand is if it's closed it needs to be close to EVERYONE. The OHV proposal includes gating the canyon with entry by permit only and for the OHV community........ AZVJC; the Coalition; ASA4WDC or an individual club/s........... adopt the trail for a period of 3 years to give time to evaluate the situation within the canyon. WE know it's not the OHV community destroying the cabins and sensitive sites but because we ARE the ones dripping or "dumping" oil (someone actually "changed" their oil over, or "dumped their hazmat bucket of oil" into, the cistern near the cabin a couple of years ago. Pictures of roll overs with oil floating on the water surface have been taken by the radicals for their support of OUR DESTRUCTION........ I've been trying to get confirmation for the BLM State Office whether they have accepted the Adopt-a-Trail Agreement I developed for BLM. No answer as yet. Will send a reminder now.

It certainly cannot hurt to contact Francisco and offer to Adopt Martinez.............. see where it goes.

06GrnRubi
08-09-2007, 11:47 AM
It certainly cannot hurt to contact Francisco and offer to Adopt Martinez.............. see where it goes.

email address?

Allen
08-09-2007, 12:37 PM
francisco_mendoza@blm.gov

Sandee McCullen
08-09-2007, 12:55 PM

Thanks.......

ROKCRLR
08-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Whether we can STOP a closure I don't know. At this time Martinez is the #1 issue the anti-access groups are pushing HARD to close. Our stand is if it's closed it needs to be close to EVERYONE. The OHV proposal includes gating the canyon with entry by permit only and for the OHV community........ AZVJC; the Coalition; ASA4WDC or an individual club/s........... adopt the trail for a period of 3 years to give time to evaluate the situation within the canyon. WE know it's not the OHV community destroying the cabins and sensitive sites but because we ARE the ones dripping or "dumping" oil (someone actually "changed" their oil over, or "dumped their hazmat bucket of oil" into, the cistern near the cabin a couple of years ago. Pictures of roll overs with oil floating on the water surface have been taken by the radicals for their support of OUR DESTRUCTION........ I've been trying to get confirmation for the BLM State Office whether they have accepted the Adopt-a-Trail Agreement I developed for BLM. No answer as yet. Will send a reminder now.

Thanks again for all this info. If adopting the trail becomes and option I'll see if we can gather enough interest here to do it. After having run Willow Springs and seeing how much cleaner and more pristine having a gate/permit system is, I'm no longer opposed to that idea.

ROKCRLR
08-09-2007, 03:04 PM

Thanks.