PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Reservations

ArizonaXJ
07-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Hello folks,
I have some friends that are heading up and around black river in the morning. They asked me what the laws are regarding carrying a weapon (firearm) through the reservation. They are not camping or spending any time there, just passing through. I am not really familiar with the Indian reservations so I told them that I would check with the largest wealth of knowledge that I know of;)
So, is there any problems with traveling through the reservation with a firearm?
Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Cave Gimp
07-27-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm not completely sure of the answer. If they are traveling on a federal, state, or county road, then it should be ok as those roads, and the land they are on is owned by who ever controls the road. I-40 goes through many reservations, but the road and the right of ways are federal land.

If they are on smaller roads it is a different story. I couldn't answer that one for you.

Sandee McCullen
07-29-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure of the firearm issue ON MAJOR ROADS through the reservations but you cannot travel OFF MAJOR ROADS without specific permission from the local tribe. If you're caught on Indian lands without authorization they can and will take your vehicle.

Allen
07-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Firearms on reservation land is by permission of the Indian Tribe in control of that reservation. As stated, driving on the interstate thru those lands is federal lands, but when you leave the interstate it is Indian land..... And unless you've contacted them to ask these questions...

Hunt permits are available, so I know people do take weapons there. I would call.

I think it's White Mountain Apache Tribe along the Black River

WMAT Recreation Division (928)338-4385