PDA

View Full Version : 99' TJ Lift Kit Install

cross_007
07-26-2007, 07:23 PM
I live in Chandler, Az. I'm new to the Jeep community, and enjoying the camaraderie and meeting new people.

I drive a 1999 TJ V6 4.0L Automatic that is completely stock (starting from square one), and like most folks, I am on a budget. It is also my daily driver. I am going to be purchasing a Lift Kit and was wondering if anyone with experience installing a lift would be willing to help me?

I know there are 2 types of kits: body lifts and suspension lifts - but I donít know much more than that. :confused: As mentioned, I am on a budget, so I donít necessarily need top of the line, but I would like to be able to get out on most of the desert and forest trails in Az that might have sand/mud/or water crossings. :D It will be more of an off-road/camping rig to take my family out for sight seeing and fun on the trails. I'm thinking 33" tires....is this tire size large enough, in your opinion? :confused:

If possible, I would like hear from folks on which kit and brand they recommend based on cost, on the amount of clearance the kit will provide, and based on the time required to install (remember it's also my daily driver so it has to be completed in a day or two (plus I am a rookie).

I will host at my place. I have tools (air compressor / power drill / wrenches / ratchet and sockets / pliers / nut drivers / screwdrivers), but I'm not sure what tools are required, so can't say I have ALL of the tools to do the job. I will provide copious amounts of pizza, beer, soda, and bottled water to anyone wanting help on their Jeep project, anyone willing to help us out, and also to those that would like to hang out and learn more.

I appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks, Chris.

cross_007
07-26-2007, 07:30 PM
One more thing....I have a courtyard set up at my house that will fit 2 jeeps at a time so wrenching can be done on 2 Jeeps at a time without getting me into trouble with the HOA police in my neighborhood...if more than two projects need to be done, then we can just rotate them into the courtyard two at a time. :cool: All are welcome.

Thanks, Chris

INDY
07-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Welcome to the group!
Everyone here is really cool
and always willing to lend a helping hand...
I also live in Chandler and I'm also looking for a lift.

Body lifts don't really do much,
so suspension is the way to go.
I'm looking for a 3.5" to 4". :cool:

Allen
07-27-2007, 12:09 AM
I bought a used lift for my jeep! My budget was small!

And while I'm speaking of the used kit, AZCharlie has a used kit (http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=23927) for sale!! (I bought my springs from him!)

Thats one way to save lots of $$$. Short Arm kits are easy to install and there are plenty of people here for help!

I installed my 4" short arm lift myself, but a second set of hands would have been nice!!

Hivemind
07-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Hey Welcome.. Sounds fun, I would be interested depending on when this went down. Unfortunately I am a rookie too, but I could be there for comic relief:D

AZLugz
07-27-2007, 08:17 AM
A friend in Havasu is running the 2" budget spacers that I gave him, upgraded shocks and a 1 inch body lift with discos and 33's, it works good for him and was excessivly cheap. I on the other end am running the RE superflex 4.5" shortarm kit with extended shocks (gas in the rear) and 33's and have well over a grand in the lift. Several people here have the long arm kits and have over 2 grand in the lift. You can go from mild to wild. You will get the help you need here tho!!! People here are great.

trailrunner58
07-27-2007, 08:18 AM
PM sent

aklars1
07-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Seeing that your on a budget and time constraints I would recommend a short arm kit. They work very well and are less than half the cost of a long arm kit, plus installing a LA kit is a pain in the *** lol. I can probly help out depending on the day and time set, however I am also somewhat of a rookie. The first thing you should do though is go stop by one of our many great offroad shops in the area. I would recommend TruckWerkz seeing that your in chadler it is probably the closest "good" shop. It's off kyrene just north of guadalupe, ask for Josh or Jason and they should be able to give you some good insight on what might better suit your needs/wants.

Fire Ball
07-27-2007, 11:06 AM
I run 1" body lift, 2" home made spacer lift with Rancho shocks from 4Wheelers.

I bought a set of 33's with rims for $500 at a wrecking yard. Lunch box locker in the front and I run most 3.5's and some 4.0 trails. I've been wheeling a while but the majority of times people are willing to help you on a tough trail :)

terron gregg
07-29-2007, 06:50 PM
I Ave A Four Inch Lift From Couldn't Even Tell You Was On The Jeep When I Got It But It Too Is My Dd And Have Taken It On Some Pretty Scary Runs A Lot Of Guys Run A 3.5 Lift Think Of It Like This Once You Start Fixing It Up Your Happy Till The Next Obstacle That Stops You And Makes You Have To Change Lines I Saw Fireballs Lift This Weekend And Was In Aww I Would Of Never Thought Of A Spacer For A Lift Then Again Im Kinda New To Jeeps As Well Look Into A Body Lift If On Budget Or Like A 3.5 Short Arm

Fire Ball
07-29-2007, 07:11 PM
The body lift was just to be able to get the 33's on without rubbing. They do rub a little when fully compressed but that is nothing a sawzall can't fix. If a choice has to be made of trimming or bump stop, I'm all over cutting stuff off!!

terron gregg
07-29-2007, 08:35 PM
speaking of cutting didnt you say that you had a plasma how hard would it be to cut/trim my fenders almost to flaten the up front

RokNRich
07-30-2007, 03:29 AM
Smokind deal on a lift right here:

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=23927

Post up a wrenching party and get 'er done !

cross_007
08-04-2007, 09:12 PM
OK, time for an update folks....

After talking with many folks on the board and an extensive Q&A session with Dave at Desert Fab (Thanks Dave! :)), I've decided to go with the RE 3.5" Super-Flex System lift. This will allow me to run 33" tires.

My next step was to find 33" tires and wheels so I could mount them after the lift is installed. If you've seen my other posts, you know that I've been hunting for a good deal on used 33" tires. It has been a pain checking Craigslist, Ebay, and the For Sale section on our forum 5 times per day, looking for smoking deals, but early this morning I checked Craigslist and hit paydirt. :D

I found a guy in Lake Havasu selling 5 new 33x12.5x15 BFG T/A KO's on some new aftermarket wheels. He is doing a custom Jeep build and realized after making his wheel/tire purchase that due to the axle he'll now be using, he needs a different wheel (bolt pattern issues) and if he was going to start over by getting a new wheel, he decided he should also go with bigger 35" tires. The wheels aren't really my color preference (had my sights set on some black steelies), but I think they'll look ok. I'll try to post a pic below for all to see. :D

I take posession of them on Monday :D, and then I will be looking at our finances and looking to purchase my RE 3.5" Super-Flex system in the next 15-30 days (1-2 paychecks). :D I want to thank all that threw their name into the hat and volunteered to help me install a 2" budget boost (the lift kit I was initially considering), but I don't want to assume that any of you will still volunteer to help install a RE 3.5" short arm kit since it would require more time to install than a quick budget boost...so I am wondering if anyone is still willing to help me install it? Please let me know.

Of course, I am still willing to host and will provide copious amounts of pizza, beer, soda, and bottled water for anyone willing to help us out or anyone wanting to hang out and learn.

Also, I'm still open to multiple projects being worked on at this wrenching party if anyone has any small projects they'd like help with - please post it.

Thanks, Chris :)

Here's the picture:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z158/cross_0072007/WheelsTires.jpg

ademster
08-04-2007, 09:30 PM
I didn't read the whole post.. but date and time?

AZXJ
08-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Your welcome!! :D I'd offer to host the install at my place but I'm still working nights on the weekends.. Have fun and keep us posted if you need anything!

Dave

cross_007
08-05-2007, 12:59 AM
Potential Dates:
August 15 (Wed), 16 (Thurs), 17 (Fri)
August 22 (Wed), 23 (Thurs), 24 (Fri)
August 29 (Wed), 30 (Thurs), 31 (Fri)

Given the heat factor, and that most people work until 5PM, I figure evenings/nights would work best, starting anywhere between 5-7PM. The lighting in my courtyard is pretty good with the garage lights and flood lights on, plus I have a couple of flashlights for crawling underneath the Jeep.

Option #1: Let's get'r done all in one night - shouldnt be a problem...besides, I'm a night owl anyway...and...that's just how I roll! :D

Option #2: Let's spread'r out across 2 nights cuz I gotta get up early for work in the mornings.

Option #3: Nah...don't like working at night...can't see where the bolts fly when we drop them ;), let's start early in the AM when it's bright out and still cool and work til' it's done.

Let me know which of these date(s) you're open to and also which option works best for you.

Thanks, Chris :)

I didn't read the whole post.. but date and time?

ademster
08-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Nights would be way better for me.

but let us know.

Adam

terron gregg
08-05-2007, 04:41 PM
im game never done a lift but could be a good helping hand

Fire Ball
08-05-2007, 08:31 PM
There is a tire place right down by 4 Wheelers that sells used tires and I know a few people have said they got good used tires there.

I LOVE wrenching parties and love to help out. Here is something I have learned from wrenching over the years. One good person to help out is a great thing. Two good people to help out is even better. When you start adding people, there is no direction and most of the time people are standing around talking.

The other night we did a locker install at JPORVAZ's house. We had a blast! (at least I did) but it took us twice as long since we were BSing a lot. I would make as much time as you can and also maybe get some of the work done before hand. Get it on jack stands, get the tires off, line up tools. Are you going to change the pitman arm? You will need a puller. Your could probably use 2 floor jacks, 6 jack stands, PB blaster,. If you need a transfer drop kit I have one you could have cheap.

Sounds like fun, I'll check my scheduler.

Wind_Danzer
08-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a good time!!! I'm trying to be off the week of the 19th, if I am, that might be better as I'm all for helping.

Just make sure that...

1. If you are from the east coast, or the Jeep is, then have a torch ready and a bunch of spare bolts and plast the snot out of the bolts! It's going to take more then 3 days if they are all messed up.

2. 3.5 Superflex is a great kit, that's what I run pretty much pieced together over the course of three years. Are you also going to do the SYE at the same time, if not I suggest you either do the washer trick and love the center skid or get a drop kit for it.

3. If anything and there are lots of people there, I can take pics for you as the work is done. :D

ademster
08-06-2007, 02:01 PM
If you think you need any special tools let me know...

for pitman arm, tie-rod ends, etc. I have all of them..