PDA

View Full Version : HB2443 FAILED.... THANKS for your SUPPORT!

Sandee McCullen
06-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Well, as luck would have it, politics, and not a good or bad bill played a bigger roll in HB 2443 failing.

4 Members had already left for the remaining of this years session ( more on who they were in the next email............ later).
1 member was there at the Capitol, but was having a hissy fit over her bill not going thru at the House so she refused to vote ..................of course she had supported our Bill from the start.

All five of these Senators were for our Bill.

Senator Paula Aboud had assured myself and our Lobbyist that she would continue her support of our Bill but at the last minute, she got a call from the Sierra Club that they had not been included in any of the meetings to write this Bill and asked her to vote NO because of this ..........Senator Aboud is a very strong supporter of the Sierra Club. So she flipped.

So, what we thought was a sure thing on Monday with 20 votes (16 are needed), came down to who was still around at the end of the session to vote..........and even then Nick , Our Lobbyist and Jeff the lobbyist for the Dealers assoc. were in the parking lots and garages hauling Senators back to vote on the bill.........it was the last one to be heard..............

Before I get to far here , I just want to let you know that all your emails and calls were heard, I received a call from the Senate Pres. asking us to "call off the Dogs"..........enough already!! We get the message!
SO ..............you did make a big difference! I thank you very much for all your time and effort!!!
Having spent a ton on a lobbyist was very important and prevented a horrible Bill that would have passed months ago from even seeing the light of day. This bill ...........that was so widely supported........was only made possible because we did have Nick as our Lobbyist ......we were taken as a serious player not to be ignored. There we many Bills left at the end of the day that never had the chance ours did to be heard.

I must tell you that most Bills like this take 4 or 5 attempts to get as close as we did this year. REALLY!
WE did very well for our first attempt.
Doesn't make it any easier to lose though......................

So now what???
I will write up a couple of editorials for the Clubs .............and the papers.............I plan on doing one with the sportsmen's groups as a joint letter to the editor............
BUT most of all I would like to let you all know who supported the Bill and who was adamant that it fail......those would be the folks we remember a year from now when it is time to elect new Senators to represent the people of Arizona.

Which brings me to my final comment on this very long year of politics at the Capitol.
Our Senators are elected by you and me............we vote for them hoping that they will represent us in important issues that will affect us and our families.
Now we don't expect that a tiny group of voters should be able to suggest or ask for a Bill such as HB 2443 to be passed.........especially if other bigger groups are not in favor of it............
BUT that was not the case here............everyone was for this Bill......everyone.........from County Supervisors to Law enforcement ........from Wilderness Coalition to Game a Fish.........from Dirt Bike Clubs to Four Wheelers............ Newspapers such as the very Green AZ Republic.........we all worked on this Bill and we ALL supported it...........The fact that in the end 54 of the 60 House members thought it was a GOOD Bill and all the Senate Committees thought it was a good Bill .......................COULD not over come just plain stupid politics!

4 Senators just had to get out of town on their vacations ..............one had a temper tantrum and decided she would get even by not voting on the next Republican Bill ........( ours) and 10 just did not think we the voters knew what was best for us.............and sadly best for Arizona in the long run.

So there you have it............... WE lost....................Let me cool off a day or two and I will get back to you all on what is next and where the other bills are that affect us!
Thanks again for all the support!
Thanks to all who donated for the lobbyist Fund ............I will have a complete who sent dollars list as soon as I can ................
And a special thanks to John Kolazar with the Sportsmen's Assoc. ............it was a pleasure working with you! Hope to keep this friendship for a long time to come! Still can't spell the name can I???

Sincerely Jeff Gursh
AZOHVC Education & Legislative Director

P.S.: Sandee's note to this: If just ONE call from the Sierra Club can do such a change think of what WE CAN DO if we unite............ as Jeff stated several times............ THANKS ALL for your support.
btw: Sierra Club WAS involved in the later meetings of the Task Team as well as the later meetings at Representative Weiers office. Interesting how a LAST MINUTE back stab works huh?

desertrubi
06-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Sandee, thanks for all you did to try and get this to pass. All of you that worked so hard. Thank you. Let us know whats next on the plate.

FrenchChili
06-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Dear Neal,
Thank you for your email in support of HB2443. I voted in support and
was disappointed that it did not pass.
Senator Linda Gray

Just receiced this....

Allen
06-28-2007, 11:06 PM
To Sandee and those that spent YEARS of their time investing in this bill, THANK YOU for your efforts! It is a shame the "just buissness as usual" politics (aka... I gota get outa here before traffic gets bad!) of our elected officials caused this bill to fail just because being the first one out was more important!! :mad:

To those Elected Officials that did support this, THANK YOU for listening!! To those that did not support this I would request that you do somthing to help save the public lands FOR THE PUBLIC!

For those Elected Officials that left early and did not vote, STAY and do your FREAKIN JOB! I will be using the vote on this issue to pick my next elected officials!! If you didn't stay.......no vote for you!!

Once again, THANKS SANDEE!!

Allen
06-28-2007, 11:11 PM
P.S.: Sandee's note to this: If just ONE call from the Sierra Club can do such a change think of what WE CAN DO if we unite............ as Jeff stated several times............ THANKS ALL for your support.
btw: Sierra Club WAS involved in the later meetings of the Task Team as well as the later meetings at Representative Weiers office. Interesting how a LAST MINUTE back stab works huh?

Time for a sea of red outside Representative Weiers office!!

Wonder how many jeeps will fit in his parking space!!

lancetkenyon
06-29-2007, 06:15 AM

The way we can stack them, I am thinking 4-5???

Xiled1
06-29-2007, 12:32 PM
For Info, this is the repsonse I got from my senator.

Dear Brian:

Thank you for your email regarding HB 2443 and your input. As you are aware, the bill failed on the Senate Floor during the Third Reading vote. It addresses some important issues regarding OHV use and I certainly understand your frustrations with its failure on the Floor as well as my unavailability at the time of the vote.

I knew a week in advance that I would not able to be there because of a prior commitment. I notified the President of the Senate more than a week earlier that I would not be available from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM on June 20th. At that time we did not know if we would still be in Session or not.

The President schedules bills to be heard and that schedule is only known 24 hours in advance and sometimes even less advance notice is given. The last week of this Session was particularly touch and go due to budget negotiations. We did not know from day to day which bills were going to be heard at any given time. That is why I gave President Bee notice of a three hour block of time on the day in question so he could plan to have the votes either before I left or upon my return. He chose to have that vote during my absence. I did return later that evening and was available for the remaining bills and to adjourn Sine Die.

I hope this update helps keep you sufficiently informed on the billís progress.

Thank you again for your letter and your willingness to express your thoughts on this issue. We need more people like you to take an active part in Government. May God bless you in all your worthy efforts.

Sincerely,

Senator Chuck Gray

My1stJeep
06-29-2007, 03:06 PM

Weiers was for the bill guys. It was a different person that caused the issue and flopped. Weiers was for this bill in fact he was the sponsor (I believe) from the House. He wanted this bill to go through.

If we did put a sea of red shirts out there it should be for support and thanks for all his efforts.

jpotts
06-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Gould is the guy you should be upset with. He's the guy that f got it pushed until the end of the last day of the session when key senators had already left - effectively killing the bill single handedly.

Allen
06-30-2007, 12:42 AM
I just think a BUNCH of red tee's would make a statment to all of them elected officials!

Sandee McCullen
07-02-2007, 09:34 PM

DO NOT BOYCOTT REPRESENTATIVE WEIERS!!!! He worked his butt off for US. He talked to everyone he knew and I'm guessing he called in some chips. Up until the very END we truly thought we had the votes. Several Senators left believing (so they tell us) that the vote was wrapped up, or didn't know it was so close, but they were doing what many of us do also............. trying to beat the traffic. Right? NO, but it happens. What upsets me is the fact that ONE, self proclaimed LEADER of Sierra Club, called voicing for ALL Sierra Clubers, and that ONE VOICE changed the ONE VOTE WE NEEDED. This Senator had been with us all along but without verification she believed this ONE CALL stating "Sierra Club hadn't been involved in the planning". THIS statement alone is an outright lie.

Again............... Represenative Jerry Weiers is ON OUR SIDE. I'm assuming he will again help us through this ordeal for the 2008 legislative session but we now know what we're up against and WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO BE PERSONALLY INVOLVED ON A ONE ON ONE MEETING WITH OUR PERSONAL SENATORS OR REPRESENTATIVES to answer all the underlying questions. Most simply didn't understand all the "rules" of this bill or how it affects everyone. They have many, many issues to address so we cannot expect them to KNOW ALL about OHV and the needs. OHV have a very negative reputation and it's up to us to clean this view up.