PDA

View Full Version : Willow Springs Saturday May 26

UNSTUCK
05-24-2007, 10:37 PM
I wanted to run Payson this weekend, but it wont work out. So lets do a quickish run through willow springs.

Meet at the gate at 6am. Please post up so I know you're coming. I'm by myself right now, so if no one else comes with me then I wont go. If that is the case, are there any other runs in town Saturday morning?

Don't forget your Bulldog Canyon permit. If you don't have one, do a search for the permit on here and you'll find all the info you'll need. Also if you're not sure about the trail, check out the pics from other runs.

Hope to get a good group together and see you all on the trail,
Josh.

k7mto
05-24-2007, 11:57 PM
I wish I could join you but I'm tied to the pager all weekend. I'm hoping to run something on Monday. Have fun and be safe.

UNSTUCK
05-25-2007, 06:27 AM
No problem. Any other CJ's out there up for this?

TomHatch
05-25-2007, 06:51 PM
I'll be there.

russ1688
05-25-2007, 07:49 PM
I'd like to try and make it.

What are the vehicle requirements you'd like for tomorrow and how long are you wanting to be out? Is the gate you refer to the one on the left side of Hwy 88 at about mile marker 204? I have the Bulldog Canyon permit, but don't know where the gate is for this trail.

I'll check back for reply later tonight and confirm or pass.

Thanks mucho!

TomHatch
05-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Lockers and clearance are the most important mods for this trail. I would recommend 33 inch tires. I see you have a Rubi so traction control is taken care of.

The lot is on the West side of Hwy 88 just before the road starts to wind and climb towards Canyon Lake. Sorry, but I can't give better directions than that. The lot is typical for Bulldog Canyon (steel pipe fence with locked gate). I think the lot is 3 or 4 miles from the Goldfield Ghost Town.

russ1688
05-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks Hatch. Unstuck called me earlier and we discussed the requirements. I'm still running 31's; at least for a few weeks. He was gracious enough to invite me along but I hate to hit a trail knowing I'm underbuilt. Makes for a long day for everyone.

I'll hook up with you guys after I put new shoes on the Jeep to run this. I live only about 15 minutes away from the gate, so I'm anxious to learn the trail.

Russ.

k7mto
05-25-2007, 11:56 PM
It's never a bad idea to ride with someone else on a trail before running it. I've done that quite a few times. That way you get to see exactly what the trail is like before you drive your own rig.

I say meet them at the gate, park your car/Jeep and ride along. You'll love the trail!

btw, my avatar pic is a spot on Willow :)

UNSTUCK
05-26-2007, 02:54 PM
It's never a bad idea to ride with someone else on a trail before running it. I've done that quite a few times. That way you get to see exactly what the trail is like before you drive your own rig.

I say meet them at the gate, park your car/Jeep and ride along. You'll love the trail!

btw, my avatar pic is a spot on Willow :)

Good thinking.

And sorry Russ. My rider ended up not coming. I should have invited you with me when we talked on the phone.

Anyways, Tom and I had a great run. I have to tell you though, seems like that trail is getting harder and harder every time I run it. Or maybe I'm just taking the harder lines now. And 35's are starting to seem small out there. I drug over every rock out there. Then in the whoops, I snapped my crossmember that my rear shocks are mounted to, so I took them off. Now I think I like it better that way. The ride home wasn't bad either. I also had my front driveshaft pull apart on one spot as well. That's two seperated shafts in two WS runs. I thought for shure they were long enough. I had to take the winch twice and Tom was very close a few times. I'm also glad I got my rocker nockers in last week. I would have ripped up my pass side rocker very badly one time.

As we were coming out we saw two seperate jeeps coming in. About five minutes apart from eachother. One was pretty built, the other was a stock Rubi. I was very surprised to see them by themselves. I'm not sure if I'd ever do it alone. Anyways, hope they make it out ok.

This is a great trail. If you have not run it, make a note to do it sometime. I think Tom is going to post up his pics of the day.

k7mto
05-26-2007, 03:25 PM
I have to tell you though, seems like that trail is getting harder and harder every time I run it.

I'm inclined to agree with you and it's a good thing. It's one of the few trails around that doesn't suffer from paving and trashing.

I've run it about ten times now and it seems the the more recent trips have been more challenging and/or have caused more damage in one way or another. Then again, maybe I'm getting careless having run it so many times :)

The double step section has definitely gotten harder now that so much sand has been washed away, and that is one section that has no by-pass.

TomHatch
05-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Matt,

How far have you made it down Willow Springs Canyon? We made it farther than I have ever been. The first time I went we made it to the obstacle where you choose to drop nose first down the STEEP ledge or go off camber down into the sand. It is the area where you have to stay to the right of the canyon and go around a large and tall rock formation before you drop into the sandy wash(nose first or off camber). Today we went through the next rocky section and wound around to a serious rock garden (as if the whole trail isn't). We walked a short distance and saw a rock at least twenty feet tall and as wide as a house. Rain washed out under the rock and you can walk under it. Does that sound familiar? We wonder how far the canyon goes and if you can actually make it to the lake.

We had a great run today; I'll have to get the pictures from my dad. I let him drive half the day (his second time in a Jeep) and he did great. He does need his own Jeep as he drives mine with reckless abandonment.

TomHatch
05-26-2007, 05:54 PM
The double step section has definitely gotten harder now that so much sand has been washed away, and that is one section that has no by-pass.

I think the double step is a great "gate keeper" for the trail.

k7mto
05-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Matt,

How far have you made it down Willow Springs Canyon? We made it farther than I have ever been. The first time I went we made it to the obstacle where you choose to drop nose first down the STEEP ledge or go off camber down into the sand. It is the area where you have to stay to the right of the canyon and go around a large and tall rock formation before you drop into the sandy wash(nose first or off camber). Today we went through the next rocky section and wound around to a serious rock garden (as if the whole trail isn't). We walked a short distance and saw a rock at least twenty feet tall and as wide as a house. Rain washed out under the rock and you can walk under it. Does that sound familiar? We wonder how far the canyon goes and if you can actually make it to the lake.

We had a great run today; I'll have to get the pictures from my dad. I let him drive half the day (his second time in a Jeep) and he did great. He does need his own Jeep as he drives mine with reckless abandonment.

Sounds like you made it to what's commonly caledl the "rock garden", but it's hard to tell. It's a little ways further down the canyon after dropping down that face you mentioned. The trail is flat/sandy then it makes a right into the rock garden. This is typically where folks turn around, but I've driven through and beyond the rock garden a handful of times. After the rock garden, the wash cotinues for a good ways with mostly minor obstacles, then it gets to a point where it gets really nasty. There are some falls back there built buggies would have a tough time with :) I don't recall any boulders you could walk under, but with the rains washing sand away it doesn't surprise me. Got pics?

From that point, we hiked to the lake. It was probably a good mile hike at least, through sections where there are house size boulders wedged between others and no way to drive (even if you could get a rig back that far). The canyon is really vegetative beyone the big boulders and eventually it widens and it's just all sandy from wall to wall, utlimately ending at a large reed garden (edge of the lake). The only water you can see is at the base of the reeds which are too tall to see over. You can hear boats on the lake but there's no lake view :)

We've talked about an overnight trip sometime. Drive as far back as we can, hike to the lake, camp, the hike and drive back out the next day.

UNSTUCK
05-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Yeah, it really is getting tough. That double step had a bunch of rocks piled on it so it wasn't as bad as last time I ran it, but soon you wont have a choice, but to stack.

Matt, your avatar pic is great. Today was the first time I ran that crack. You really have to stick a good line on that or it's a long fall into the crack. I could just about walk upright under my jeep on it.

Tom, it would be a good Gate Keeper, only I think it is easy to drop into it on the way down the trail, but coming back is the real problem. Hey, get those pics up!

TomHatch
05-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Matt,

This is the rock I mentioned.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11145&stc=1&d=1180332939

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11146&stc=1&d=1180332939

You can actually walk under the rock on the right side (black area) of the photo.

Tom