PDA

View Full Version : Pack it in - Pack it out

Kiwi
05-19-2007, 10:04 AM
We were discussing the issue of trash being left about everywhere on another forum.

Got me thinking about backpacking, and how it's been rather sucessful in that hobby the 'pack it in- pack it out' campaign.

So, I thought what the OHV community needs is its own campaign. A common symbol that all 4x4 forums, websites, etc can include on thier websites, printed material for brick and mortor stores and dealerships (particularly quad dealers), and finaly, maybe even get signs posted at popular OHV areas

Maybe we could have a contest to come up with something?

To that end, I whipped up something last night to get people thinking.

Digger
05-19-2007, 10:12 AM
What a great idea!

My1stJeep
05-19-2007, 05:17 PM
The American Sand Association has I think it was some sort of cartoon lizard they used to promote this program. You might be able to find out more information on this website: http://www.americansandassociation.org/

They have been promoting alot about not littering for years, and a pack it in, pack it out, now more so then ever with the new trash pick costing about $500,000 more a season. This increase in cost, due to the lawsuite filed by anti-OHV groups, meant putting more smaller containers out there, and that it had to be picked up multiple times per day. This caused the increase, and anyone want to venture what had to get cut in the budget? Several things, but one was some of the emergency services which has put lives at risk, human lives.

Great idea, and thought you might be able to build off what these guys have been doing. Hope this helps.

Kiwi
05-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks. I sure there are effforts in various forms out there. I'll check them out. The sand people have been taking it hard - I think half of Glamis is shut down now.

I know there's the 'Tread Lightly' campaign, but not so much an anti-litter, at least here in AZ

I was even thinking people could team up and volunteer thier time om some weekends to fan out to some of the popular OHV areas around here, and hand out a 'anti-litter' kit - a sticker, a couple garbage bags, and some info on how all this littering is just arming the greenies and eventualy these areas could be closed

It should be just plain common sense - but that seems to lacking in some places...

SEDONA RICK
05-20-2007, 07:06 AM
"Back in the day" we had patches & bumper stickers made with our saying
"NATURE DOSEN'T NEED YOUR TRASH
SO HIDE IT LIKE YOU WOULD YOUR STASH"

WE WERE YOUNG AND IT WAS THE 70'S

georgia
05-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Kiwi, that is a great logo, and I've already copied it and sent it our webmaster at Tucsonoffroad.com. I hope you don't mind us placing it on the site. It's a great idea, and we have discussed the idea before but never come up with a logo.

lancetkenyon
05-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Karl, the sign is GREAT! It would be cool to have it put out as a sticker! I would run one on my rig. I am always picking up trash off the trails, and never had to worry about my own. Same as when I camp. The kids job is to pick up trash around the site. Leave it cleaner than when we got there.

Digger
05-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I didn't make it to the dunes this year. Did they really close some of the dune area down? Is it more expensive now? The past couple years were getting to busy, to many people, real dangerous out on the dunes, the evening drags were being monitored by many officers, but still worth the ride!

Kiwi
05-20-2007, 09:24 PM
let me know if you want the orginal .eps file - so you can re-size it to any size you want

Allen
05-21-2007, 12:12 AM
It is at the bottom of my website now!

Kiwi
05-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Great.

I made two versions of the logo prepped and sized for the web. One is for white backgrounds, the other for black. Right click on the image, and do a 'save as...'

white:
http://www.shadowlakes.com/trash_white.gif

black:
http://www.shadowlakes.com/trash_black.gif

audiedoggie
05-21-2007, 03:55 PM
I love the logos!

My friends and I always keep trash bags with us when we hit the trails and usually (unfortunately) end up bringing back a good 3 - 5 bags full of trash we pick up along the way! Annoys the hell outta me!

Sedona Jeep School
05-22-2007, 09:12 AM
These are always great ideas--as many and as often as we can get the concept out to the public!

I frequently say: "Take nothing, leave nothing." This is similar to the Leave No Trace (www.lnt.org) motto "Take only pictures, leave only footprints", but more direct. Anyone you ask will support not littering, but many of those same people think that if it's "biodegradable" then it is okay. NO! Leaving something there that wasn't there before is not okay!

I admit that I used to toss out apple cores, thinking that I was actually doing a favor to some squirrel or pack rat. It was finally explained to me in terms I could get through my blonde head (mostly monosyllabic words in short sentences :D ) that anything we introduce that was NOT there before OR anything we take that WAS there before contributes to upsetting the natural balance, and diminishing the nature experience of future outings.

Obviously, it is impossible to leave absolutely NO trace of your passing--wet spots behind trees, tire tracks, or some noise pollution as you pass (some of the worst noise pollution is from hikers carrying on conversations at the top of their lungs! :rolleyes: ), BUT, if you are aware of every tiny impact you make, you are much less likely to make big ones! :)