PDA

View Full Version : Pred and CD

lancetkenyon
04-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Jeff (TwistdTJ) and I ran Predator and Collateral Damage today. We met at the airdown spot at 7:30 and blasted through Pred as a warm-up. I made the stupid mistake of trying to follow Jeff on his 42s everywhere he went. I ran all the obstacles clean, and wind up stuck on a boulder in the middle of an empty wash! I guess when Jeff slid over on his tranfercase skid, I should have known better! After we ran Pred, we took a look at Annhialator, and I told Jeff, "Not yet". We then ran over to CD, and had a blast. I needed a tug on the 1st set of falls, because I got offline. We ran the rest of the trail clean until we got to the last fall, where we both needed to pull cable and winch up. I almost flopped on the exit falls at the top, but Jeff gave me some awesome spotting and got me over with little effort. Thanks Jeff, for showing me CD, we have to do it again sometime. Here are a few pics, we didn't really take many, we ran too fast!

Jeff showing off the mad flex

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10289&stc=1&d=1175984697

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10290&stc=1&d=1175984697

Me, not quite as much, but not bad for a SA kit

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10291&stc=1&d=1175984697

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10292&stc=1&d=1175984697

6 psi......

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10294&stc=1&d=1175984697

Jeff getting my ego stuck

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10293&stc=1&d=1175984697

only 2 pics we took on CD:
Nice view Jeff had of the Creepies

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10295&stc=1&d=1175984697

Jeff inspecting the new scars on the T-case skid for me

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10296&stc=1&d=1175984697

desertdawg
04-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Nice pics Lance! Those tires are on my list as soon as the MTR's wear out!:cool:

Wayco
04-07-2007, 05:02 PM
I know how you feel Lance, no matter what you wheel, there is always someone bigger and better.
And Here is a Jeep wave for Jeff, passed you Eastbound on the 101 around the Tatum exit. Driving a white GMC Jimmy makes me invisible.... :D

twstdtj
04-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Had a blast today, we blew through Predator and CD in a couple hours. Great picks Lance, and great job today.

Wayco, Heres your wave back. :)

lancetkenyon
04-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Nice pics Lance! Those tires are on my list as soon as the MTR's wear out!:cool:

Trust me Mike, you WANT to hurry up and burn them off, or cut all the sidewalls!;)

SHNIPE
04-07-2007, 06:30 PM
I got stuck on that same rock lance :D Bill laughed at me then drug my jeep a couple hundred feet up the wash at 25mph only to slam on the brakes in the CJ and i crashed into the back of it. Now my hood doesnt stay latched.. thanks bill!

Wind_Danzer
04-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Shnipe... only you. *LMAO*

Nice pics guys. Hopefully within the next month I'll be playing with you boys on some of the bigger stuff. :D :D :D *Evil Grin* Money in hand makes me do some evil things. :D

If so, watch out!!!!!

SHNIPE
04-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Shnipe... only you. *LMAO*

Nice pics guys. Hopefully within the next month I'll be playing with you boys on some of the bigger stuff. :D :D :D *Evil Grin* Money in hand makes me do some evil things. :D

If so, watch out!!!!!

Does that mean all the new stuff is getting done? I think once i get my new axles done im gonna stay on 33's and wheel the same trails you guys with 35+ are and piss you off when i pound through on my tiny tires :D I REALLY dont think my d35 with its cracked carrier will last much longer, how bout you?

Wind_Danzer
04-07-2007, 08:30 PM
All the new stuff, including X-Mas stuff will get done. The new steering and the fenders are under a grand and I'll have enough for Grady (calling him on Monday about what time will be good for him) to do the rest of the work.

Shnipe, I want to see you stay on 33's but finesse your way through the big boy trails. That impresses me more then banging your way through. :D

And no, I'm shocked it has lasted this long they way you drive... hope you got something in the works. :)

SHNIPE
04-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Shnipe, I want to see you stay on 33's but finesse your way through the big boy trails. That impresses me more then banging your way through. :D

And no, I'm shocked it has lasted this long they way you drive... hope you got something in the works. :)

Yeah but finess isnt as much fun :D you can keep that tip toe crap :D

azcharlie
04-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Nice pic's. I need to get back up to TM and run some of those trails. Hopefully soon.

Crawldit
04-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Dang Lance those Creepy's sure do fold up! Are you still running streetlocks or did you pick up some beadlocks? You have any issues burping air at 6 psi?

lancetkenyon
04-09-2007, 06:38 AM
Dang Lance those Creepy's sure do fold up! Are you still running streetlocks or did you pick up some beadlocks? You have any issues burping air at 6 psi?

Still running the "aluminum rim protectors". No probs so far at 6 PSI, as Jeff will tell you. Didn't even lose any air when folded up like that.

xFallen
04-09-2007, 07:23 AM

The sidewalls are actually very stiff. That shot appears to have been taken on Predator on an obstacle where the bulk of the vehicle weight is on the passenger front tire.

I ran mine on conventional rims at 4-6 psi until they softened up. They rarely burped air, but would now and then. 2-3 psi they'd lose a bead. Now heading into 2 yrs old with literally hundreds of trail runs on them they will lose the bead more readily.

lancetkenyon
04-09-2007, 07:42 AM
The sidewalls are actually very stiff. That shot appears to have been taken on Predator on an obstacle where the bulk of the vehicle weight is on the passenger front tire.

I ran mine on conventional rims at 4-6 psi until they softened up. They rarely burped air, but would now and then. 2-3 psi they'd lose a bead. Now heading into 2 yrs old with literally hundreds of trail runs on them they will lose the bead more readily.

Barry, what PSI are you running now? Travis and you both told me to run mine at 6 PSI to break them in, but should I start running more in them? They seem to flex out really well, and have had NO issues with them burping, so I just figured I would stay at 6. They have a big, sticky footprint. The tires are probably one of the best mods I have made to the Jeep, with exception to the lockers. Now I am just waiting for the 4-1! Hint, hint Mike.

xFallen
04-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Barry, what PSI are you running now? Travis and you both told me to run mine at 6 PSI to break them in, but should I start running more in them? They seem to flex out really well, and have had NO issues with them burping, so I just figured I would stay at 6. They have a big, sticky footprint. The tires are probably one of the best mods I have made to the Jeep, with exception to the lockers. Now I am just waiting for the 4-1! Hint, hint Mike.

I started at at 4-5 psi and now run 6-10 psi depending on the trail. 6-7 seems to work well. If you are happy with yours at 6 psi I'd stay there. At 10 psi they are way too stiff. I can drive at highway speeds all day at 12-15 psi on them and they don't seem to overheat so that tells you they aren't too low.

I knew you'd appreciate the tires. Some people just don't seem to get it but that's fine. You'll like the 4:1 as much as the tires. Opens up a whole new set of possibilities.

desertdawg
04-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Barry while were on the subject. Do you think the standard spline chromo shafts in the front and rear will be fine for running 37" Creepys?

I'm set up now with the Dana 30/44 standard spline US Alloy chromos and I'm considering on getting a set of these tires.

xFallen
04-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Barry while were on the subject. Do you think the standard spline chromo shafts in the front and rear will be fine for running 37" Creepys?

I'm set up now with the Dana 30/44 standard spline US Alloy chromos and I'm considering on getting a set of these tires.

Hard to say. The 30 spline axles are considerably stronger. I think there are some here running 27 spline CrMo shafts and 37s but can't think of who, and don't know what trails they wheel. I can say that the CrMo 30 spline shafts (and CrMo 27 spline stub shafts or better) can stand up to a lot.

Definitely stick with Alloy USA or Superior no matter what you hear unless you want to be dealing with frequent replacements and the possibility of collateral damage which would NOT be covered. It does not take long to find out the breadth of failures of Yukon shafts, just look at the boards where people actually wheel their junk hard and frequently.

The alloy used by AU and Superior for front shafts is far better than what is used by Yukon. Furthermore, the Alloy USA and Superior have a better design that allows the right amount of flex to alleviate breakage. Yukon is not a manufacturer. They buy steel at the lowest price and may or may not always have the same shafts. Sometimes they will be good, other times they may not. Same with their gears. The Yukon (Jantz) Super Joints are pretty damn strong and very affordable.

I did actually break an Alloy USA installed 5-760x u-joint which in turn took out the ears from an Alloy USA front stub shaft and damaged the ears on the inner axle. They warranted it over the phone and I walked away from 4WS with a replacement shaft Not only did I have zero downtime because I have full spares but 4WS had the spare shaft on the shelf so I didn't even have to wheel without spares waiting for a warranty replacement.

Not bad life from the axle given that shaft was 12 months old with probably 200 runs on it. I couldn't ask for any better than that.

Hard to say what will work for you, but that has been my experience based on the 2-ish years of beating on the Jeep in its current form.

Barry

desertdawg
04-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Hard to say. The 30 spline axles are considerably stronger. I think there are some here running 27 spline CrMo shafts and 37s but can't think of who, and don't know what trails they wheel. I can say that the CrMo 30 spline shafts (and CrMo 27 spline stub shafts or better) can stand up to a lot.

You're referring to 30 in the rear and 27 up front correct? Because thats what I currently have and both with Alloy US Chromos.

xFallen
04-09-2007, 10:31 AM
You're referring to 30 in the rear and 27 up front correct? Because thats what I currently have and both with Alloy US Chromos.

Sorry, maybe I misinterpretted. I was referring to 30 spline front axles. I am sure you are aware 27 spline is stock for a Dana 30. The rear D44 is 30 spline for Most stock axles in our years of Wrangler. I am running the 33 spline Superior axles back there and have Alloy USA as spares which I have fortunately never had to use.

Barry

desertdawg
04-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks Barry!:)

lancetkenyon
04-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Hey Barry, I am running the 27 spline alloys in the front, until I break one. Then I will jump up to 30 spline fronts and a new locker. Hopefully I won't break a rear axle, but if I do, I will upgrade to 33 or even 35 splines if anyone make a spool for them.