PDA

View Full Version : Just got this email from Arizona Citizens Defense League

06GrnRubi
03-17-2007, 01:45 PM
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has published proposals on the future access and use of the Ironwood Forest National Monument (IFNM). There are four Alternatives proposed regarding use of the IFNM:

Alternative A – The "No Action" Alternative. Land use would continue as it is now.

Alternative B – The most restrictive would severely limit use. Recreational shooting "except for permitted hunting" would be prohibited.

Alternative C – BLM's preferred scenario but still highly restrictive. Like Alternative B, recreational shooting "except for permitted hunting" would be prohibited.

Alternative D – Greater access than under the current plan.

BLM wants to keep shooters out of the Ironwood Forest National Monument with their preferred Alternative C.

PUBLIC MEETINGS HAVE BEEN SCHEDULED – VOICE YOUR OPINION

These plans can have a major effect on YOUR hunting and recreational shooting. Attending these meetings is critical to the future of YOUR access to BLM lands. The BLM preferred "Alternative C" is to ban recreational shooting from the National Monument. This would be the largest ban of recreational shooting in Arizona history. You need to be at this meeting and have your voice heard!

The BLM Tucson Field Office has released, for public review, a Draft Resource Management Plan and Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the Ironwood Forest National Monument. A 90-day comment period will last from March 2, 2007, to May 30, 2007.

The document is available online at https://www.blm.gov/az/LUP/ironwood/ironwood_plan.htm.

Please contact the BLM's Tucson Office at (520) 258-7200 if you require an alternate format for the document. Comments on the plan can be submitted by mail to Mark Lambert, BLM Planner, at 12661 E. Broadway, Tucson, AZ 85748, or sent via email to AZ_IFNM_RMP@blm.gov.

Five public meetings are scheduled to present the plan to the public and allow for discussions and questions with BLM staff:

March 29, 2007: Tucson, Arizona
Pima County Parks & Recreation, 3500 West River Road, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

April 3, 2007: Sahuarita, Arizona
Sahuarita High School, 350 West Sahuarita Road, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

April 5, 2007: Chandler, Arizona
Chandler Public Library, City Council Chambers, 22 South Delaware Street, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

April 10, 2007: Sells, AZ
Legislative Council Chambers, Main Street, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

April 12, 2007: Tucson, Arizona 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Pima County Parks & Recreation, 3500 West River Road, 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The Ironwood Forest National Monument was established by Presidential Proclamation in June 2000. The 129,000-acre monument, located about 25 miles northwest of Tucson, encompasses several desert mountain ranges including the Silver Bell, Waterman, and Sawtooth ranges, and possesses one of the richest stands of ironwood trees in the Sonoran Desert. The monument contains several archaeological districts and a significant system of cultural and historical sites covering a 5,000-year period. The monument also features a wide diversity of vegetation and wildlife.

The management plan will guide the BLM is its management decisions for the monument, and reflects the many changes that have occurred in the area including intensive development in the Marana area, and increasing demand on public lands for recreation opportunities.

These alerts are a project of the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL), an all volunteer, non-profit, non-partisan grassroots organization. Join today!

AzCDL – Protecting Your Freedom
http://www.azcdl.org/html/join_us_.html

Copyright © 2007 Arizona Citizens Defense League, Inc., all rights reserved.

With all the shooting, (which leads to mega trash buildup), that goes on in areas we like to wheel, not sure how I feel about this. Looking for others input.

Sandee McCullen
03-17-2007, 04:10 PM
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has published proposals on the future access and use of the Ironwood Forest National Monument (IFNM). There are four Alternatives proposed regarding use of the IFNM:

Alternative A – The "No Action" Alternative. Land use would continue as it is now.

Alternative B – The most restrictive would severely limit use. Recreational shooting "except for permitted hunting" would be prohibited.

Alternative C – BLM's preferred scenario but still highly restrictive. Like Alternative B, recreational shooting "except for permitted hunting" would be prohibited.

Alternative D – Greater access than under the current plan.

BLM wants to keep shooters out of the Ironwood Forest National Monument with their preferred Alternative C.

PUBLIC MEETINGS HAVE BEEN SCHEDULED – VOICE YOUR OPINION

These plans can have a major effect on YOUR hunting and recreational shooting. Attending these meetings is critical to the future of YOUR access to BLM lands. The BLM preferred "Alternative C" is to ban recreational shooting from the National Monument. This would be the largest ban of recreational shooting in Arizona history. You need to be at this meeting and have your voice heard!

The BLM Tucson Field Office has released, for public review, a Draft Resource Management Plan and Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the Ironwood Forest National Monument. A 90-day comment period will last from March 2, 2007, to May 30, 2007.

The document is available online at https://www.blm.gov/az/LUP/ironwood/ironwood_plan.htm.

Please contact the BLM's Tucson Office at (520) 258-7200 if you require an alternate format for the document. Comments on the plan can be submitted by mail to Mark Lambert, BLM Planner, at 12661 E. Broadway, Tucson, AZ 85748, or sent via email to AZ_IFNM_RMP@blm.gov.

Five public meetings are scheduled to present the plan to the public and allow for discussions and questions with BLM staff:

March 29, 2007: Tucson, Arizona
Pima County Parks & Recreation, 3500 West River Road, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

April 3, 2007: Sahuarita, Arizona
Sahuarita High School, 350 West Sahuarita Road, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

April 5, 2007: Chandler, Arizona
Chandler Public Library, City Council Chambers, 22 South Delaware Street, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

April 10, 2007: Sells, AZ
Legislative Council Chambers, Main Street, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

April 12, 2007: Tucson, Arizona 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Pima County Parks & Recreation, 3500 West River Road, 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The Ironwood Forest National Monument was established by Presidential Proclamation in June 2000. The 129,000-acre monument, located about 25 miles northwest of Tucson, encompasses several desert mountain ranges including the Silver Bell, Waterman, and Sawtooth ranges, and possesses one of the richest stands of ironwood trees in the Sonoran Desert. The monument contains several archaeological districts and a significant system of cultural and historical sites covering a 5,000-year period. The monument also features a wide diversity of vegetation and wildlife.

The management plan will guide the BLM is its management decisions for the monument, and reflects the many changes that have occurred in the area including intensive development in the Marana area, and increasing demand on public lands for recreation opportunities.

These alerts are a project of the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL), an all volunteer, non-profit, non-partisan grassroots organization. Join today!

AzCDL – Protecting Your Freedom
http://www.azcdl.org/html/join_us_.html

Copyright © 2007 Arizona Citizens Defense League, Inc., all rights reserved.

With all the shooting, (which leads to mega trash buildup), that goes on in areas we like to wheel, not sure how I feel about this. Looking for others input.

The only issue affecting OHV is the fact BLM NEVER completed a complete route inventory. They used UofA Team of environmentalists that inventoried what THEY believed should be a "route". BLM/TFO has endlessly stated they "worked with 4x4's that helped". NOT so. We have met with them numerous times regarding their closure of 62% of the "inventoried" (these are the ones they did actually inventory) routes to OHV. There are 3 areas within the boundries of the Monument that ATV's ride now...................... ALL are closed under all alternatives.

We've asked and asked and asked to identify side trails or at the least, an area for riding. The only "roads" available to OHV are the major corridors. The hiking and equestrian have NUMEROUS trails.

Yes, it's a National Monument but the proclacmation does NOT disallow motorized use or trails.......... it simply limits to "NO CROSS COUNTRY".

Hopefully EVERYONE will attend the meeting closest to you and voice your concern regarding no OHV trails. Most of this is identified towards ATV's but if we don't stand together we all lose.

DFRacing
03-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Here is a thought, They want to close 62% of existing OHV trails, fine close them! but this needs to be closed to everyone including the greenies. Then we get to close Camelback mountain to hiking/ horseback then the Grand Canyon to hiking/Horseback, then Golf Coarses and any thing the greenies do for a hobby ect....:eek: How about that for give and take.

The bottom line here OHV users need to give the $$ just like the greenies do to pay the legal fees, comercials, flyers, mailings ect... Another words do what they do.

Fire Ball
03-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Let's get them on the defensive, let's ask to open up land closed a long time ago based on BS data and rigged studies.

Let them prove that trails suitability doesn't include OHV.

Hikers drop water bottles and tissues all the time so maybe as Todd said, ask to close down some trails for their use. Make them spend some money on defense rather than offense

ThumpAZ
03-17-2007, 09:34 PM
This is a good position to take... putting them on the defensive. However, they've already done their drafts. it's, saldy, unlikely that we can get them to rewrite.
I really would like input on the proposed directions. My gut reaction is a modified plan C. I despise recreational shooting (sorry all you gun folks... I just don't like guns, but STRONGLY believe in maintaining rights to arm ourselves, and believe in the NRA... I'm not one of those "guns kill people" folks).
It's only the recreational shooting that irks me. It ALWAYS ends up as a mess even with the most conscientious shooter. You can't get all the bits of target picked up, and you almost always lose one or two casings. All those bits add up and become a cleanup items.
Maybe I need to spend some time in the guns forum to get a better understanding of why folks shoot in the desert versus firing ranges (not a subject for here, I'll ask in the right place).

I'll be out of state for every meeting... someone sign my name in the book, please.

Fire Ball
03-17-2007, 10:42 PM
I made it to 3 meetings so far and plan on getting to as many as I can. I'm new to this whole process so I'm struggling to get caught up with all of the details. I would like to chat with one or 2 of you guys to get as much info as I can so I can contribute more. We have big pans in the works that will involve all of the dealers, Game and Fish, Forest Service, BLM, Sheriff, and even Sierra Club. I drew up some initial plans on how we are going to proceed now we just have to put them in place.

I hope to have a draft of some of our ideas tomorrow or the next day to post. At that point anyone who wants to help can jump on board.

I already have someone to do a web site, talk to media, and write copy for written articles.

Next we have to lay out a game plan then start disseminating information. We will have a lot of people to contact, I'm gonna be one busy dude for a few weeks at least. I wish I could give more information but I have only had a few hours sleep the last 2 days and I'm a wreck.

sixstringer76
04-20-2007, 09:26 PM
I've been studying on this recently and as a matter of fact I went out to Red Rock yesterday and did some shooting and off roading. I understand the litter from shooting issue and when I shoot beer bottles I don't shovel up broken glass and bring it home. I do pick up my brass and I don't leave food or drink containers and I always shoot so that the glass ends up under the trees not on trails.

Sometimes shooting outside of a range can me a lot more fun, I have an old XBox that the cpu crapped out on me so I've hauled it out to Red Rock 4 times now to shoot it, for the hell of it. The only thing I can do at a range is shoot at a target which is cool too but shooting things that break and shatter is quite therapeutic.

How's that for my first post ?

xjdoyle
04-30-2007, 12:05 PM
I have been in a club that spent over $50.000 on lawyers and court cost. In the end the trials stayed closed. The club also lost half it's members due to this because it could have used the money to open an HOV park. This may sound familiar to some of you that’s because it happened in LAS Cruces, NM. The club that host the Chilly Challenge. There were 3 trials in the Challenge back in 2000 that are no longer in it because BLM closed them down.

Not one judge took this thing to court. No one wants to Bit the hand that feeds them.