PDA

View Full Version : Involvement and Approach

ThumpAZ
03-17-2007, 11:00 AM
We were just going over several of the issues facing us right now, with the threats to Woodpecker and Martinez, as well as the sport/hobby as a whole.
A couple of good points have come out of this, and require YOUR input and action.
I'm typing this as Todd's still ranting... he tends to go off the deep end when this stuff gets discussed LOL

Involvement:
AZOHVC - I am placing a challenge to EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU!!!
I want everyone who is financially able to donate $20 to the AZOHVC. If you're not financially able, then I understand. But nearly every one of us can forego a few gallons of gas for a weekend's trip out to put into the coffers of the organization that is aimed directly at AZ. This money goes NOWHERE but to fight for our continued access to PUBLIC LAND IN ARIZONA.
Do the math with the member list here and you'll see how much we can raise to help out in our own backyard.

Get to meetings, if at all possible. Instead of going out wheeling, go to a meeting. Instead of going to the bar, go to a meeting. Make it a date with your wife... Dinner and a meeting. Whatever you have to do... go.

Approach:
Take a look at the literature sent out, blindly, by the environmentalists... They position it as "Do you want clean air?"
Not one person is going to say no to that, are they? Hell, I would!
We need to approach people outside of the community, and we need to position our cause in such a manner that it seems good for everyone.
"Do you want to help maintain access to public lands?" So you can go hiking, camping, fishing, whatever. We need to come up with some sort of approach method that is general enough, but not a lie so that we can attract more outside dollars and members. The $ierra Club does it this way. Many folks write their checks into the ether because they don't realize that they've just provided money to a group that will DENY them access (Wilderness areas, Endangered weeds, etc.).
We have a LOT of good minds here and a lot of motivated people... if you're not motivated, then sell your damned Jeep and walk because you're here, you have a 4x4... why? We can surely come up with something. And with the surge of money that can come from the first part of my post, we should be able to WIN some of this stuff. Right now, the coalition has a lawyer, but they can't afford to pay him what it takes to fight and WIN against the deep pockets of the other groups.

Time, AZVJC, to get up off your butt and be counted. Get involved, or sell your freakin Jeep, Yota, 4x4 of whatever sort because it'll only be allowed on pavement otherwise. It shocks me how many take the attitude of "what's in it for me?" Guess what's in it for you... places to continue to take your rig out away from the city, use it for its intended purpose and enjoy nature in your own state.
Support the AZOHVC or you don't stand a chance of having places to go wheeling in the next several years.
<off soapbox>

ecamp55
03-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Joined last week......AZOHVC and Tread Lightly

Time to get involved people

Allen
03-17-2007, 11:40 AM
A little short on cash today, so I sent $10. Hope that it helps!

Billy 4 hp
03-17-2007, 01:47 PM
I joined last week but they have yet to accept my PayPal payment... Hope we don't overwhelm them with money.... :D

06GrnRubi
03-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Joined last week prior to the threads getting lost.

WalterD
03-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Support the AZOHVC or you don't stand a chance of having places to go wheeling in the next several years.
<off soapbox>

I will see what we can come up with here, $20 should be no problem. Will also hit up coworkers, many are offroaders.

Fire Ball
03-17-2007, 08:54 PM
I am trying to get together with Jeff to take over the education stuff he was working on or possibly start our own group to tie everyone to educate OHV users on etiquette and other issues. We also want to educate the public about the truth of OHV vs hard core enviros.

This will give AZOHVC more time to do legislative level work and fight for land use, and we will concentrate on reducing reasons people want us to shut down in the first place. As soon as Carrie and I get things more organized we will get more info out. Hopefully sometime within a week or so.

Look for ROVER and the concept of "Wheeling Green" in the near future.

(Responsible Off highway Vehicle Education and Resources)

ThumpAZ
03-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Adding to the above... a couple of positive points and a plan to help...
the Arizona Off Highway Vehicle Coalition (AZOHVC) is a Non Profit 501(c)(3) organization. As such, any money donated or given for membership is therefore tax deductible.
Annual membership is $35, as many know already. The amount I posted up was an arbitrary dollar figure that the folks in the discussion agreed is a normally obtainable amount. It's your choice. If you join and get your name added to the roster, that's AWESOME! If you send in some money to help, that's AWESOME as well! Every dollar counts, matters and IS APPRECIATED!
I'd like to see EVERY offroad shop in the valley, every motorcycle/quad/rail shop, every satellite company (those that provide parts as well such as Auto Parts stores, Hardware stores, Machine Shops, etc.) and anyone else interested in maintaining public access to public lands join in. Because that's what it really is. Getting the motorized access out is the first step to getting rid of equestrian and even mechanized (bicycles) and then, ultimately pedestrian access. Corporate sponsors are always appreciated.
I'm no rep for the AZOHVC, I don't hold or aspire to hold any officer position. I'm just your average everyday wheeler who believes that we have to support local first, then go on to the others. Support of BRC, United FWDA, SAN and others are also important. However, the "where's my money going" effect has happened a lot as our areas appear neglected while others get all of the attention. This isn't true, but we have the option of our own coalition to support and protect our rights. And that brings immense joy for me. As does the show of support and stepping up of those that accept the challenge, getting to meetings, going to cleanups, and "touching" others to teach them of our true intentions and the right and responsible way to wheel and recreate in our beautiful state.

A Plan...
Well, I can't say much. Todd just put a noose around my neck. YOu'll just have to wait a couple weeks to find out ;)
You won't be disappointed, and it may come with another challenge... one you'll all be happy to meet!
Thanks to those that have met the challenge as best they can. To those on the fence, remember this:
If the coalition fails even once, your favorite wheelin spot won't be there for you (legally... we all remain legal, right? Damn right!).
The amount I've thrown down the gauntlet for is less than you spend for one day's wheelin, and will help to make sure that you can reappropriate the amount back to your rig for next weekend's trip.
Again, it warms me to see these reposnses. Makes me proud to consider myself a part of something as great as the AZVJC. Makes me wonder if my amount was too small LOL
Keep it coming, folks... you won't overwhelm them. And make sure to get your receipt for taxes!

FireBall...
I'd ilke more information about ROVER and Wheelin Green. Please send me an email through the board.

Fire Ball
03-18-2007, 07:56 AM
As I promised here is some information about what we have been working on the last week or 2.

First I would like to introduce myself and tell you why I have decided to take on this task.

My name is Bill Hertz and I have been in Arizona for almost 20 years. My wife and I enjoy hiking, back packing, boating, mountain biking and my favorite, Jeeping. Over these years we have seen a lot taken away from outdoor land users, OHV in particular. We have started attending land use meetings and are not too happy with the direction things are headed.

During 2 of the recent Tonto National Forest meetings one of the biggest issues to come up from all land users was the need for more education and enforcement. There are several well organized groups in OHV but their main tasks have been defense of our right to use public lands and not have our rights taken away from us. These groups are stretched pretty thin and don?t have much left for education.

Some of the biggest concerns among our adversaries is pollution, noise, cutting new trails, and conflicts on shared trails and roads and several other issues. There is a serious lack of respect for others and the land itself among all land users, hikers and cyclists included. We have decided to help OUR cause by taking on the task of educating our peers in all forms of OHV, not just wheeling.

Here are some highlights of what and how we want to do some of these things.

EDUCATION -
Literature we can distribute through dealers, parts vendors, and the controlling agencies such as the Forest Service and BLM.

Classes we can hold to teach off trail etiquette, environmental issues, trail care and maintenance, and how to properly use your vehicle in ways that are compatible with the trail system you are on and with other users on shared routes.

We would also like to use the media to reach more people and to make Wheeling Green a new slogan that everyone will remember. We would like to do this through radio and television spots, print in the newspaper and also enthusiasts magazines such as $Wheel Magazine and others.

We would like to see a program with controlling agencies such as Game and Fish and Forest Service where we can do Peer to Peer events such as meeting OHV users at popular trail heads to pass out literature about land use. This gives us a chance to reach people with information and also let them know we are watching them. We could also work with enforcement agencies in the field to learn more about what the problems are we need to face.

PUBLIC AWARENESS-

We want to educate the public about what we are doing to change things and improve our image. Media will be invited and press releases will be provided at all of our sponsored events to show the public what we are doing and inform them we are NOT the problem but a solution. A plan will be developed where we can work with environmental groups to come to solutions that do NOT include closing trails

ACTIVITIES-

Our goal is to sponsor and help other groups organize events such as:
Trail clean up events
Post signs with the help of controlling agencies showing what the trails names are if any, what trails are closed and why, what trails are open and for what use. Most importantly information on who we are and how we are involved.
Mitigation of trail use with the help of controlling agencies by blocking off areas where new trails have been cut that don?t belong. Keep people from riding fence lines near paved roads or riding too close to residential areas during high dust times.
Install winch points to protect trees
Trail maintenance such as erosion control, un stacking rocks, preventing new bypasses from being cut.

RESOURCES-

On our web site (not up yet sorry) we want to have a source of information for everyone to access.

Route information and trail inventories. What is open. What is closed. What trails have restrictions such as vehicle size or noise and dust concerns.
Legislation information from groups like AZOHC, ASA4WDC and many others so we can have one place where we can go to get all the latest information about laws pertaining to our sport.

Also under resources we will have a calendar of events that can be used for all the groups we work with that will include:

Club or group meetings and events
Land use meetings
Class dates and topics
Trail clean up events
Meet and greets
Public events and shows we will be involved in such as RV shows, outdoorsman shows etc.

I now this is a long post but I hope it helps to get the word out about what we are trying to do. We want to take some of the pressure off of our sport and the groups trying to protect our legal rights by helping to remove some of the sources of ammunition used against us. We are going to need a lot of help. As soon as we figure out if we are going to be piggy backing with another group or going on our own we will let everyone know.

For now I can be reached by PM here or jetdriver_phx@yahoo.com if anyone would like more info or would like to help get started.

Bill

1BLKJP
03-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Bill,

I'm in no way discounting the organization you are trying to put together nor am I trying to discourage you from doing this. However I'm trying to find what the differences are between what you are doing and Tread Lightly? I'm a Tread Trainer and we do virtually everything you have stated above.

Also, Glen, thank you very much for the push on people to joing the AZOHVC. We need all of the help we can get. The Coalition is gaining major momentum and doing a LOT of good things for Arizona. Much more than an ORBA or any other national organization can do for us. And we need all of the help we can get. A lot of things have came around since we began 3 years ago. We are starting to be taken very seriously in the state and have even hired a professional lobyist this year. We would like to keep him on full time for future years, and as you all know that takes cash and lots of it. He has proven himself very worth the dollars though. We all know that everyone in the wheeling community can spare an extra few dollars a year for individual donations and also make sure that your separate clubs continue to be club sponsors. Also lets start forcing all of our businesses to be sponsors also. We can no longer sit back and let a few people do all of the work while the rest of us type negative messages on internet forums. We at the coalition can help you retain your right to wheel in Arizona. However we need your help doing so. I know some of you might have been skeptical of it in the beginning, but please know that we aren't going anywhere now. We are firmly planted behind the issues and education that we need in Arizona to make us successful in our rights to recreation on public lands.

Fire Ball
03-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Not trying to take away from you guys either but other than just the name mentioned in passing I have never heard of anything Tread Lightly has done. I thought it was just a slogan. Maybe we need to sit down and discuss what you are doing and how we overlap. No sense in re-inventing the wheel. I'm just trying to do SOMETHING, ANYTHING that will do some good. If we are overlapping on what we are trying to do then I'ld be happy to jump on your band wagon if you'll have me.

I hope we can get together soon or send me to the right place so I don't spend too much time duplicating efforts of others.

Thanks,

Bill

ThumpAZ
03-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Bill and Brian,

Tread Lightly! is a campaign and slogan. The campaign is education and mantra-building. I think, though, that is has the same pitfalls that ORBA and the others do... it is a national effort, and cannot be effectively focussed on any one area. And due to this, folks don't see it as truly effective and shy away from funding from "Hip National Bank."
I would like to see Bill's efforts as an extension of Tread Lightly! and it's principles and training through the Coalition.
I'm sure that you folks can find a good working relationship that will benefit AZ directly. With this focus on the locals, and targeted training for our unique environment, I can easily see folks more apt to loosen the purse strings and work more to help. I know that DesertFab is a member of both ORBA and AZOHVC. We are often talking to customers, old and new, about the importance of responsibility on the trails and roads as well as maintaining a safe (mechanically and environmentally) vehicle.
I'm sure that we'd be interested in helping out in several ways from hosting classes to being a meeting place before/after education runs... our proximity to the Florence Junction trail system makes this a promising notion.
Keep me in the loop and I'll work with Todd and the others to see what can be done to help on our end.

EDIT: Wow, reread my post and thought to myself that it looked like I was bashing the national efforts. That could not be farther from the truth. I was just trying to emphasize something I've seen as a common thread when talking to folks about land use action organizations. Some feel as if their funds go into a black hole, and then never get used here in AZ. I know that to not be true, and try to express to folks that what happens elsewhere does have effects on here at home. It's important to support both national and local efforts, folks. Sorry for any confusion I might have caused... I confused myself!.

1BLKJP
03-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Not trying to take away from you guys either but other than just the name mentioned in passing I have never heard of anything Tread Lightly has done. I thought it was just a slogan. Maybe we need to sit down and discuss what you are doing and how we overlap. No sense in re-inventing the wheel. I'm just trying to do SOMETHING, ANYTHING that will do some good. If we are overlapping on what we are trying to do then I'ld be happy to jump on your band wagon if you'll have me.

I hope we can get together soon or send me to the right place so I don't spend too much time duplicating efforts of others.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

I among others that have also been thru the Tread Lightly training course would be more than happy to talk to you about the program. Also check out www.treadlightly.org to see more on what the program is all about. Yes they are a national program, however there is a large presence in Arizona with several partnerships that occur with the land use agencies as well. Hell I even saw an H3 driving around the other day with a Tread Lightly full vehicle wrap on it.

And like I said before I'm definitely not trying to rain on your parade and take away from what you are wanting to do. I just didn't want you to be duplicating your efforts or making things harder on yourself if you didn't have to. We always stress here in AZ that education is going to be a major key to saving the trails we wheel on and that is a continual effort that has to be undertaken on many different levels. Anything you would like to do to help with that will be appreciated.

Fire Ball
03-19-2007, 06:33 AM
Jack it did look like it was raining for a while but after talking to a few people and looking at the tread lightly site I actually feel even better about what I want to accomplish.

The site I want to start along with our groups efforts will fit in nicely with what you are doing. I agree with and appreciate what you said about duplicating efforts and that is where a partnership between us would be great.

I envision our group as more of a catalyst for change. Effort will be focused on working very closely with groups already working on projects and be a helping hand as well as a clearing house of information.

Our group would be a part of Tread Lightly and AZOHVC, and other OHV groups as well as Sierra Club and others, sort of a way to tie them all together as you said to be more efficient, prevent overlap, and also fill gaps that exist. I have already talked to a few environmental group folks and they are also excited that more of us are willing to look at fixing some of the problems through less drastic means than closing of trails.

There are so many good ideas out there as well as people to get things done. The more we work together, the more we will accomplish.

The environmental sides have their " I don't want to shower because it wastes water and soap kllls fish" people and we have our "Hell no we aren't giving up anything and I'll drive anywhere I want" people. Threst of us I think are somewhere in the middle.

Jack I look forward to being able to sit down and talk with you about where Tread Lightly is going and what your strengths and weaknesses are so we can work together on our common goal.

No you are not raining on my parade, you are a ray of sunshine!

Bill

azdesertrhino
03-20-2007, 09:19 PM
I went to the AZOHVC site with the full intention of joining. Looking at their news articles etc and everything is very date. I don't believe I saw anything current (this year).

How active is the organization? I have no problem joining them if they are active in the efforts.

Thanks for any positive feedback!

Fire Ball
03-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Well I actually am trying to get some stuff going with them but my contact hasn't returned my call or email. I have been contacted by someone interested in helping me with my site and possibly AZOHVC. I'll try some different contacts tomorrow. I know they are very busy but I am looking to help out.

1BLKJP
03-20-2007, 11:24 PM
I went to the AZOHVC site with the full intention of joining. Looking at their news articles etc and everything is very date. I don't believe I saw anything current (this year).

How active is the organization? I have no problem joining them if they are active in the efforts.

Thanks for any positive feedback!

This is not an excuse, but I know there have been some personal issues with the person that used to update the website. Believe me, it's something that all of us on the coalition have been worried about with the site and I completely understand your concerns.

Most of this past year the coalition has spent most of it's time with state government on issues like Dust and the Copper Sticker. We have also put in considerable amounts of time with Land Use agencies in all capacities.

Please believe me when I say that the web site is at the top of our priority list for the upcoming year.

azrubyman
03-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Bill,

I'm in no way discounting the organization you are trying to put together nor am I trying to discourage you from doing this. However I'm trying to find what the differences are between what you are doing and Tread Lightly? I'm a Tread Trainer and we do virtually everything you have stated above.

Also, Glen, thank you very much for the push on people to joing the AZOHVC. We need all of the help we can get. The Coalition is gaining major momentum and doing a LOT of good things for Arizona. Much more than an ORBA or any other national organization can do for us. And we need all of the help we can get. A lot of things have came around since we began 3 years ago. We are starting to be taken very seriously in the state and have even hired a professional lobyist this year. We would like to keep him on full time for future years, and as you all know that takes cash and lots of it. He has proven himself very worth the dollars though. We all know that everyone in the wheeling community can spare an extra few dollars a year for individual donations and also make sure that your separate clubs continue to be club sponsors. Also lets start forcing all of our businesses to be sponsors also. We can no longer sit back and let a few people do all of the work while the rest of us type negative messages on internet forums. We at the coalition can help you retain your right to wheel in Arizona. However we need your help doing so. I know some of you might have been skeptical of it in the beginning, but please know that we aren't going anywhere now. We are firmly planted behind the issues and education that we need in Arizona to make us successful in our rights to recreation on public lands.

Jack,
Maybe you can help with these questions or direct me to the correct person...
1. Can you give a specific example of what the lobbyist has accomplished?
2. And can anyone give me specific example of he AZOHVC has acomplished. Specifics please, not "we have done a lot" or "we have accomplished much".
I am not trying to be negative or taking some kind of cheap shot. I just like to know details about groups or orgs. before I support financially.
I and I think many others want to know where our money is going and to understand some financial accountablity by the AZOHVC.
Thanks for your help,
Ken

John_P
03-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Approach:
Take a look at the literature sent out, blindly, by the environmentalists... They position it as "Do you want clean air?"
Not one person is going to say no to that, are they? Hell, I would!
We need to approach people outside of the community, and we need to position our cause in such a manner that it seems good for everyone.
"Do you want to help maintain access to public lands?" So you can go hiking, camping, fishing, whatever. We need to come up with some sort of approach method that is general enough, but not a lie so that we can attract more outside dollars and members. The $ierra Club does it this way. Many folks write their checks into the ether because they don't realize that they've just provided money to a group that will DENY them access (Wilderness areas, Endangered weeds, etc.).

I think I have mentioned this before...and was accused of being a member.

Perception IS reality.

Good luck.

My1stJeep
03-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Several time on several threads what the lobbyist did and what the AZOHVC has been covered, yet it always seems to get questioned, again and again.

For one, the AZOHVC has help fund the lobbyist. The lobbyist has been there to find out when things have been tried to be done in secret, notified us and worked with process to get it changed. He actually put a halt on a bill that was going through that would have put all the funds in one agencies hands with no accountability. Through their work the bill has been reworked, the funds will have accountability and not just be given to one agency.

We have the issue of STL wanting to close off all lands to OHV use, that was changed to have restrictions on high pollution days, not including weekends.
As for the AZOHVC I agree the website is a sore spot with several of us. However at this time the members of the AZOHVC seem to be the majority of the ones showing up consistantly to all the meetings to represent your right to use the areas, getting information out on when to act, where the meetings are and what you can do to help, but if that is not helping I guess you are right, don't support it. If the lobbyist getting in there to find out what is being presented and working with the other lobbyists to get changes made that benefit the OHV community, with the financial support partially coming from the AZOHVC, then your right don't support it.

While many of us may not be happy with the lack of communication coming in a timely manner and the website being behind, (see Jack's post for comments) I can see how it may appear (and yes John apearance counts for alot) that not much if anything is being done. However, the lobbyist has not been on board for very long and had two major victories for the OHV community already, I think that is cause for support. Along with that and that the AZOHVC are the ones that are the main representatives at the land use meetings I would say the AZOHVC is doing quite a bit. Let me know if you need more information, I am sure I can get even more specific if you need.

Also, if you don't want to give a monetary contribution, hav eyou have thoughts of giving your time to be at a meeting? Don't go giving excuses about work, family other, that might hold water at a few meetings, but all of them? Just in the last few months I have lost over $1k in pay having to take time off work to attend meetings (contractor, I only get paid for worked hours, not PTO or sick time), given up having dinner with my kids and putting them to bed to be at meetings, etc... I could have found excuses not to go, like I live in Surprise and the meetings have been in Florence, Tucson and Casa Grande. It is time for people who want to talk on here to act, we need to open our pocket books and donate what we can, I think Glenn's challenge of $20 is a great one if you can afford it, but do what you can.

John, I think you are misguided. If what you says is how you feel, Perception = Reality, then it would be fair also to say, you should judge a book by its cover? Which would go against everything I have heard you say thus far about truly getting to the nuts and bolts of how things work and dredging deeper to get the information. Kind of hard to have it both ways. While I agree 100&#37; the perception given by the site does not do it justice and should be more reflective of what is going on, it would give people going to the site a much better idea and representation of the organization, I do see how it could turn people off. As Jack said, there are issues and they are being made a very high priority to get corrected.

Sandee McCullen
03-21-2007, 08:22 PM
The AZOHVC is a new organization (3 years) that is truly trying to represent ALL OHV regarding access and/or our RIGHTS AS RECREATIONISTS but once again a SMALL handful cannot do it all and still keep up with reports, meetings, lobbying, letters and justifications to everyone. The AZOHVC WEB page is sad............... no denying it but once again this is all via VOLUNTEER HELP. We do all have other lives and sometimes things fall apart for a time. The WEB master is working on the site as we write.

Re the lobbyist:
Had we (OHV) not had the ability to hire a professional attorney/lobbyist for the OHV bill you can be guaranteed this bill would have gone through as originally presented which meant G&F would have received ALL the money and OHV NOTHING. Also the laws they were presenting would have screwed us royally. Our lobbyist was able to work with Rep. Weiers so he actually understood the unlying issues. He also agreed 100&#37; that G&F needed to be accountable for funds and partner with the OHV.

Our lobbyist brought the sportsman group (Large and powerful) to our support as well as the dealers association.

This bill may not be perfect but it certainly is WORTH getting through legislation for now. It will NOT HURT US IN ANY WAY. For the most part the ATV's and bikes are supporting this program at this time. We can work to change this as time moves forward but it more than doubles the dollars we're now getting so we can actually continue moving forward to support new staging areas; OHV areas/trails; law enforcement and education. We can purchase lands and/or right-of-ways and help pay for NEPA so agencies can move forward with parks; trails or facilities.

Re the dust: We (OHV or general public of any kind) were NOT invited to these meetings so we wouldn't have even known about the proposed closure of 9.2 MILLION ACRES of state trust lands until it was too late. Our lobbyist found out about it and was able to join the meetings. Via AZOHVC board members a compromise was developed. Hopefully this will hold.............. If the Pollution Alert days fall on M-F they will simply ask OHV not ride on State Lands on these days. It might end up being only the non-attainment areas which will help alot BUT................. if you'd like to lose all 9.2 million acres for 365 days each year I guess we could have done without the lobbyist.

He's been more than worth what we've paid. Re moving forward we also need to find the dollars to fund him on retainer to have him by our side in some of the Land Use Planning meetings. Our voice is simply not heard enough over the environmentalists............. his voice will be heard.

The original fee was for legislative session regarding the HB2443. He's stepped in re the dust and helps with direction and advice every day. He didn't have to help with the dust issue, he didn't have to sit with us for hours after hours to "learn" about OHV and our issues, he doesn't have to "care".......... but he does. He doesn't whine or complain.......... he does a job to protect our rights.

NEWS: Just spoke with lobbyist re the results at the Senate today !!!!
The bill passed Senate Resources today. Senator Flake has a few issues he wants settled but there's nothing we cannot deal with. Once AGAIN....... our lobbyist saved the day. Rep. Weiers wanted G&F to speak to the bill........ BS. The only one's they're thinking about is themselves and how many loop holes they can find. The ONLY lobbyist allowed to speak to the bill was our lobbyist !!!! He SOLD the committee on the bill. WE would not have had the ability to do this. Soooooooooooooooo, if this lobbyist issue is not good for OHV "who" was going to cover our butts or rights?

Senator Flake will support us if "his" issues are addressed and believe me, "HIS" issues are siding for us.
Our lobbyist has also met with the AQC 3 or 4 times this week so far and all seems to be solid in: "No OHV use M-F on State Trust Lands within the PM-10 non-attainment areas". This means URBAN lots; Carefree Hwy areas; FJ via State Trust Lands but can use Battle Axe Rd or FR4 from Superior on these days. We still have hundreds of miles of trails to use as alterntes. Last year saw a total of 39 TOTAL Dust/Ozone days........ 6 dust pollution days. We CAN LIVE with this and would NOT have had this compromise from compelete closure without our lobbyist.
WE CANNOT DO THIS ALONE..................... ORBA comes behind someone helping us locally. ORBA has matched funding to fund our lobbyist and would continue to help us if we show we're trying to help ourselves. The Coalition CAN help Arizona WIN. YOUR support is needed. No one needs to do all, attend all or know all but we do ALL have to be involved and we ALL have to do his/her fair share in helping financing our WINS.

I am attending a NOHVCC Conference in West Virginia so I'm updating via phone each day. I will be home Sunday night late.

PLEASE take a step back and "see the picture"............ we are ALL affected if we don't get what we need in this OHV bill and we're ALL affected re the Dust Regs. We MUST give when we need to give. No one from the AZOHVC is ever going to screw their own. WE ARE ALL THE AZOHVC, and we ALL NEED TO UNITE. Sometimes the Devils Advocate and Personal Opinions need to be put aside and we ALL need to look at what's best for ALL.

jeeperinaz
03-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Its good to give to those who help keep the trails open. To those of you who can't give a little; no worries. Being a member of the AZVJC makes you an automatic member of AZOHVC. I'm sure someone has a stack of AZOHVC membership cards they can pass out to you. :)

As for defining what all has been done. I've never seen tread lightly do anything. I've seen the decal here and there and I've seen it on trail markers. Do they host clean up runs and invite the clubs to get involved? beats me.

The AZOHVC has done a lot.. lol.. had to say it.. My involvement with the group has been limited in time but I know for a fact that 5% of the people do 95% of the work. Sandee attends about every meeting on the planet and they don't give you but 1-2 days notice then its held on a wednesday at 8am in BFE. I've attended a handful of meetings and the turnout from the OHV community isn't what it should be but I understand we all have jobs and more notice would be wonderful.. lol.. Back to the AZOHVC.. They have placed numerous trail head Kiosks (like the ones you drive past on the way to backway to crown king)
http://www.azbackcountry.com/kiosk1.jpg

They have fought to keep the Arizona Game and Fish honest about the Copper sticker program; I.E. HB2443. If you've read the rough drafts during the year its changed quite a bit.

http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohv_legislation.shtml

Antman
03-27-2007, 09:09 AM
One thing they need to do TODAY on their website is get the pdf application
form working! I am not sure who is in charge, but PLEASE get that working!

The PayPal link works, but is no good without an application.

jeeperinaz
03-27-2007, 02:35 PM
here's a working link to the form.

http://www.azohv.org/docs/AZOHVC-Appl-for-Membership.pdf

1BLKJP
03-27-2007, 03:15 PM
One thing they need to do TODAY on their website is get the pdf application
form working! I am not sure who is in charge, but PLEASE get that working!

The PayPal link works, but is no good without an application.

Bill,

The website is being worked on as we all speak. There are numerous changes and updates being made and we are all very happy with the progress that has occurred.

zman
03-27-2007, 04:20 PM
What's the difference between AZOHVC and ASA4WDC. It appears one is OHV (all users) and the other is 4WD (full size vehicles), but it looks like its duplicated effort. I already belong to ASA4WDC.

zman

Sandee McCullen
03-27-2007, 08:45 PM
What's the difference between AZOHVC and ASA4WDC. It appears one is OHV (all users) and the other is 4WD (full size vehicles), but it looks like its duplicated effort. I already belong to ASA4WDC.

zman

You're right............ ASA4WDC is 4x4's only.
AZOHVC is ALL OHV users.

To explain the difference in a couple of words:

Unity is in numbers.

The 4x4's; the ATV's; the bikes or the unorganized groups/clubs can join together within the Coalition to work as the political and/or land use leaders or coordinators whereas the individual clubs are the "recreationists".

The Coalition is tax exempt so it is able to obtain grant dollars to help our cause. It also brings OHV the backing support of national OHV leaders .