PDA

View Full Version : help help help

GLEN REAMS
03-02-2007, 10:28 PM
my cross member on my xj was giving me problems today out at the extraction of the car at butcher jones so i changed my cross member now every time i put new bolts in and then put it in drive to or and gear it pops thos bolts right back out so if there are any insomiacs(spell check) in east mesa(signle butte and baseline) and want to come help me out and try to figure out something give me a call 480 570 8093

FrenchChili
03-02-2007, 10:38 PM
stripped holes? If they are you possibly could put JB weld in the holes, when it's starts drying put the bolts in to thead the jb and take 'em back out to let the stuff dry....maybe that'll work:confused:

wedge
03-03-2007, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't try that, I'd wait till daytime, and do a helicoil kit, works much stronger, especially if he already ripped the threads out once. the JB weld will strip out as well, and make a mess.

GLEN REAMS
03-03-2007, 01:07 AM
yes i stripped out the holes russ ended up heading over and helping me out what we did was drill the hole out bigger and put in a bigger bolt, tomorrow when there are more stores open (went bolt shopping at 1am) im going to get some self tapping bolts that have a full thread on them not half and if that doesnt work i will have to get a tap and dye kit

wedge
03-03-2007, 01:59 AM
I've got a tap/die kit, or go to ace hardware, or homedepot, and just buy the one tap you need. that'll help you save money, and taps work much better than self tapping bolts. just remember, when tapping, slower is better, use plenty of WD40, and and if its real hard to turn, stop, back up and then go back.

russ1688
03-03-2007, 10:02 AM
For the permanent fix, I'd go with the helicoil kit mentioned above. Whether you use self-tappers or use a real tap, those threads won't last thru repeated bolt installations and removals. The helicoil will provide you with hardened threads that will last much longer, IMHO. Installing a helicoil is no harder than re-drilling the hole and tapping it. The only additional step is to insert the coil. Don't forget the threadlock when installing the coil (follow instructions) :D . Otherwise it'll unscrew on you when you remove the bolt in the future.

GLEN REAMS
03-03-2007, 06:31 PM
for the over all fix im going to drill threw the cross member holes up threw my floor board and run a bolt all the way threw with a plate on each end so they dont rip threw the floor board and if i still have problems then well i dont know what ill do then

OlneyJeeps
03-03-2007, 08:56 PM
autozone has nice (but kinda pricy) helicoil kit