PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help with some info....

Billy 4 hp
01-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Well I have been out of the scene for awhile I am hoping maybe Mrs. McCullen or someone else with ton's of experience can give me some insight.

What are the rules for access of State Trust Land and BLM land currently. I know if I have a hunting or fishing permit I have access in most instances, but I don't hunt or fish anymore and I don't wanna lie. I was up at Table Mesa today in a little used area where there are some indian ruins near water tank #1 on the east side. There was a sign not readable from the road (sign was actually turned around away from the road). I stopped and it read "State Trust Land, No Trespassing, Hunting and Fishing Permissible with Permit" or something pretty close along these lines.

Was I legally in this area? With all the is going on, I do not want to be the one who causes and issue. But where I was backs up to national forest, which is accessable unless closed due to fire conditions and the like.

Thanks for any replies. Please let me know what I can do to help fight the flight in FJ....:)

Billy and Coleton Smith

Sandee McCullen
01-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Well I have been out of the scene for awhile I am hoping maybe Mrs. McCullen or someone else with ton's of experience can give me some insight.

What are the rules for access of State Trust Land and BLM land currently. I know if I have a hunting or fishing permit I have access in most instances, but I don't hunt or fish anymore and I don't wanna lie. I was up at Table Mesa today in a little used area where there are some indian ruins near water tank #1 on the east side. There was a sign not readable from the road (sign was actually turned around away from the road). I stopped and it read "State Trust Land, No Trespassing, Hunting and Fishing Permissible with Permit" or something pretty close along these lines.

Was I legally in this area? With all the is going on, I do not want to be the one who causes and issue. But where I was backs up to national forest, which is accessable unless closed due to fire conditions and the like.

Thanks for any replies. Please let me know what I can do to help fight the flight in FJ....:)

Billy and Coleton Smith

BLM is PUBLIC lands.............. all existing roads and trails are permitted.

State Trust Lands are NOT public. Access on to or across for any reason requires a permit. $15.00 for an individual; $20.00 for a family. (Family means mom, pop and kids. Not cousin, friend, gramps or adult sibling)

The ASA4WDC pay for group permits for their member clubs that allow for casual use of camping or trail rides as a club sanctioned event. These group permits require a $1 M liability policy backing it.

There is NO SHOOTING or target practice allowed on State Trust Lands at any time other than while actively hunting under a valid hunting license. BUT, a Hunting or Fishing license does not work for anything or any access other than hunting or fishing. It does not allow for access for recreation or camping.

The Public Lands Information office was closed when BLM moved their state office about a year ago. They hope to get it going again soon. It's a great place to pick up maps that reflect all land status, routes, access maps to designated OHV recreation areas; rules; guidelines etc. Some of the information is free....... some a very nominal fee. I will announce it the minute it opens but for now the information above is the best I can do.

BLM is in process of updating their land use plans on all 8 areas in Arizona. Expected completion of all areas is 2010. Several will complete this year.
F/S is working on nationwide Land Use Plans as well as "transportation plans"....... all to be done within 3 years.

You can help by attending announced meetings......... planning and/or scoping. Your voice is heard and we can make a difference. The major problem is being government, we normally are lucky to get 7 days notice of important upcoming meetings.

Bottom line for all lands is RESPONSIBLE USE.

Billy 4 hp
01-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Sandee,

Thanks for the quick reply and everything that you are doing to help keep the lands open...

I just hopped over to the ASLD website and will mail my permit form in tomorrow...

Here is a link for those of us who want to be legal http://www.land.state.az.us/programs/natural/rec_permit.pdf

Thanks again,

Billy and family...