PDA

View Full Version : Is Martinez cabin trail still open?

oldhockeyvb
01-09-2007, 03:05 PM
I was planning on a run to coke ovens but I guess that won't happen now. I've read a lot of concern over Martinez cabin trail also.
Is Martinez cabin trail still open?

k7mto
01-09-2007, 03:10 PM
It was two days ago...

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=19136&highlight=martinez

btw, you can still take the Coke Ovens turnoff and drive all the way to within sight of the ovens.
You just can't go onto the propertly they occupy. The question is exactly were is the property
line. I think if you stop atop the hill looking down to the ovens and the riverbed you should be fine.
Just don't drive down and back up to the ovens themselves.

Anyone know if the trail circumvents the private property or if it splits off so you can avoid the private
property and still cross the river?

oldhockeyvb
01-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks K7, I'm going to check out my topo maps, software and google earth tonight to see where the private property boundaries are. I'll post up what I find out.

Sandee McCullen
01-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks K7, I'm going to check out my topo maps, software and google earth tonight to see where the private property boundaries are. I'll post up what I find out.

The Coke Ovens are definitely on Private Lands......... there's no doubt. The property is approx. 640 acres. The parcel is an "L" shape. The portion with the ovens on it run east/west; the other portion run north/south from the west end of the portion with the ovens on it. Trails run through both portions. Up until about a year ago the parcel was owned by two different people. The guy that owned the portion with the ovens on it either "gave it back" or maybe "defaulted" but the original owner now has the whole parcel. About a year - 18 months ago it was heard he wanted to sell or "trade". I've been trying to contact him since that time to try and work a deal for BLM to purchase the parcel. Haven't found him yet. Can't blame him for wanting out of it....................... irresponsible "looky loos" have completely destroyed the cabin and the ovens over the years. The MGCP is trying to purchase the property with Land and Water Conservation funds to develop it into a Historical Site.

I have maps showing the actual boundries if anyone is interested in seeing them. The BLM office has not yet set up the Public Information Center allowing the public to obtain maps that reflect land tenure.......... BLM, F/S, ASLD, private.

For those of you that will be receiving the "maps" and letter from Tucson regarding the OHV route planning can see the private lands reflected on the larger map.

oldhockeyvb
01-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Sandee:
I'd like to see those maps because all the maps i have including the BLM mesa map show the ovens on public lands. I find it incredible, but so far no one has shown me proof the ovens themselves are not on public lands. The access road from the west also appears to be on public lands. I plan to call the pinal county assessors office again tommorrow to see if I can get a definitive answer. They didn't seem to know when I called them today. I have more information now though and will call again tommorrow.
None of this negates the need to be involved and help out and I totally respect the private land owners rights to their property and would never do anything to give our sport a bad name. I just want to have the facts.

Sandee McCullen
01-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Sandee:
I'd like to see those maps because all the maps i have including the BLM mesa map show the ovens on public lands. I find it incredible, but so far no one has shown me proof the ovens themselves are not on public lands. The access road from the west also appears to be on public lands. I plan to call the pinal county assessors office again tommorrow to see if I can get a definitive answer. They didn't seem to know when I called them today. I have more information now though and will call again tommorrow.
None of this negates the need to be involved and help out and I totally respect the private land owners rights to their property and would never do anything to give our sport a bad name. I just want to have the facts.

No problem............ let me know what part of town you're in and I'll work with a time and place to meet.

TomHatch
01-10-2007, 10:06 PM
I called the Pinal County Assessor today and they provided me with the parcel numbers as they were looking at the map. It depends on who you talk to there, but as Sandee said, the coke ovens are on private land.

Sandee, I hear that the owners live in MN, but their daughter knows Scott Brady of Expeditions West. Her email to Scott started this discussion on the http://expeditionportal.com message board.