PDA

View Full Version : Hackberry - Oak Flats enterance -

TBob
12-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Well looks like the oak flats enterance will be closed this Monday, or at least that it what the guys setting up the mining drill said. They have put up a few out there but this last one is on a big flat area they made just before the hill where the old truck is. Of all enterances to loose that one is the worse IMHO :mad:

SHNIPE
12-17-2006, 08:23 AM
Saw this posted on teh AZ chapter of TTORA (http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53585) Lol Tbob beat me to it :D

Well if you read the post on our Hackberry/ powerline run today, it was likely the last ever through the campground entrance. Though the rest of the loop is still open, it must now be accessed either via the 177 at Apache leap, or the road past the campground by the mine might still be open, we didn't check it out. As we were coming back up, heavy trucks and workers were setting up another drill rig right in the middle of what used to be the trail at the top of the first big downhill section, before you get to the slick rock sheer face. From the campground to that point, the trail has been graded, and a large clearing made where the drill rig is setting up. According to the workers we asked there, it will likely be closed come monday. To me it already looked closed as they had equipment there and plastic rolled out that they told us to just drive over becasue we had to to get out. So if people desire to run the slick rock face, it will be a detour and not part of the normal loop, as the trail is closed just above it. Seth mentioned maybe getting people to ask the mining company to cut a small bypass around their mining operation, since they seem to have taken over the area. Its a good idea, I'd be interested in seeing what could be done to try and work something out. It hurts to see such a beautiful area wasted all in the name of the alimighty

Sandee McCullen
12-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Well looks like the oak flats enterance will be closed this Monday, or at least that it what the guys setting up the mining drill said. They have put up a few out there but this last one is on a big flat area they made just before the hill where the old truck is. Of all enterances to loose that one is the worse IMHO :mad:

I cannot answer this today but Oak Flats is Forest lands and the land swap including Oak Flats has most certainly NOT been approved in Washington and Resolution Mining have no authority to close any entrance or road at this time. They are leasing the mining area up the hill from Oak Flats and some areas behind Oak Flats but I'll have to talk to Globe tomorrow and see what OFFICIALLY is happening out there.

desertdawg
12-17-2006, 05:03 PM
This really sucks!:mad: Thanks for the info TBob. Looks like we will be coming through 177 for now on.

TBob
12-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks Sandee - let us know.

I cannot answer this today but Oak Flats is Forest lands and the land swap including Oak Flats has most certainly NOT been approved in Washington and Resolution Mining have no authority to close any entrance or road at this time. They are leasing the mining area up the hill from Oak Flats and some areas behind Oak Flats but I'll have to talk to Globe tomorrow and see what OFFICIALLY is happening out there.

FrenchChili
12-18-2006, 11:58 AM

Sorry for the hijack but at Table Mesa the mining closed one road and boulders have been placed in front of a trail which only reaches the mining area maybe a 1/4 mile after (this trail keeps going past the mining area).

What are their rights (depending on the land I guess?) and where can we check to see whether are not they have the power to close a trail/area.

Sandee McCullen
12-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Sorry for the hijack but at Table Mesa the mining closed one road and boulders have been placed in front of a trail which only reaches the mining area maybe a 1/4 mile after (this trail keeps going past the mining area).

What are their rights (depending on the land I guess?) and where can we check to see whether are not they have the power to close a trail/area.

More information please. Yes, the land jurisdiction is the deciding factor but most of these mining operations are under a lease with the land jurisdiction so they will, and do, close trails conflicting with mining operations.

Raw Deal was on State Trust Lands............ the miner allowed us to do most of what we had been doing but if this new mining is where I think it is it is BLM and yes, they do have the right to close but we may have the ability to do a "re-route" with BLM.

Re: Oak Flats.................... everyone I needed to talk to to get the "facts" was out of the office. Will try again tomorrow but we may have to wait until after Christmas for any kind of reality answer.

TBob
12-22-2006, 06:53 AM
Any word on the "facts"?

Sandee McCullen
12-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Any word on the "facts"?

No, sorry............ seems all government employees bailed out for the holidays. Hopeing someone will be back next week.

I'll post something as soon as I find someone in the office that knows something.

Happy Holidays to all.................

etropic
12-26-2006, 08:27 PM
ran into a group heading there this morning... I told them about this post. They were going to go in through Oak Flats and see... I asked them to stop here and post up, not sure if they will get a chance...

ShottsCruisers
01-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Area was open as of a week ago. We did not attend though friends ran the entire "book" trail. They did not run the extreme hill and/or the narrow canyon/slickrock section.

etropic
01-02-2007, 03:45 PM
The wells guide has you enter farther down the road than tha area in question. That's where some of the older mine equipment is. If they didn't run the Rock Fin then they might not have been to where the new closure question is....

I would run down there and see if it wasn't 60 miles ;) Kinda far to go just to have to turn back, but if the old entrance is still open, I suppose we could explore.

ShottsCruisers
01-02-2007, 03:47 PM
The wells guide has you enter farther down the road than tha area in question. That's where some of the older mine equipment is. If they didn't run the Rock Fin then they might not have been to where the new closure question is....

I would run down there and see if it wasn't 60 miles ;) Kinda far to go just to have to turn back, but if the old entrance is still open, I suppose we could explore.

Well, IF they close that northeast entrance hopefully we can still run the area and return south. That canyon and hill are sweet.

ROKCRLR
01-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Just a quick update: DesertRat and I ran this today and the Oak Flat entrance is open. There is a drilling rig set up just before the top of Old Chevy hill but they let us pass. DesertRat talked to them briefly to make sure it was OK for us to pass and they said no problem. They even moved a couple of their hoses for us to get by. They also told him that they didn't think that the entrance was going to be closed. However, they are just the drilling crew, so take that for what it's worth.

TBob
01-04-2007, 08:30 AM
that's good news if it's true...but I worry because it's probably the same guys who told me it would be closed but thanks for the update. :D

Just a quick update: DesertRat and I ran this today and the Oak Flat entrance is open. There is a drilling rig set up just before the top of Old Chevy hill but they let us pass. DesertRat talked to them briefly to make sure it was OK for us to pass and they said no problem. They even moved a couple of their hoses for us to get by. They also told him that they didn't think that the entrance was going to be closed. However, they are just the drilling crew, so take that for what it's worth.

Sandee McCullen
01-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Sorry for the delay but Globe Ranger District just called with information re the alleged closure at Oak Flats/Powerline.............

NOTHING IS CLOSED...............

Evidently Resolution Copper cut through a new access to one of their drilling sites but have no authority to declare anything closed other than gating immediately surrounding a drilling site.

Globe Ranger Dist. asks us to report any future problems regarding being "told somethings closed" and/or "closed signs or gates".

westy
01-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Great info. Thanks Sandee

desertdawg
01-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Yep it's open. You need to go around to the right of the drill rig and all the equipment.

Here's the new drill rig at the the top of the hill before you start your descent down old chevy hill. They also cleared an area just before the rig for a helo pad.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9257&stc=1&d=1169595541