PDA

View Full Version : FJ and TM Wheelin 11-10 and 11th

Huck
10-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Howdy All,
I've got a good wheelin buddy heading in from CA to do some wheeling. He's experienced and has the rig for doing some of our most extreme trails. His name is Jason and he runs with the California Chickens. You may have seen an earlier post regarding the make up of his rig and that he was coming out.
He wants to make a day of wheeling on Friday 11-10-06 and Saturday 11-11-06. I will be hunting from 10/27 through 11/5 and will need to play catch up at work. I doubt I'll be able to break away on Friday. With this in mind, I was wondering if we have any East Valley experts that wouldn't mind showing him around H2H, Ajax, Axle Alley or the like. I would like to be able to roll out and join in on the Friday runs, but really have no idea how badly I will need to be in the office. I would really like a small group of experienced wheelers to roll with him (i.e. Rich, Matt, JD or any of the East Valley regulars ;) ) I have a good handle on most of the trails out there, but as a tail-gunner, mostly, so I would appreciate someone leading the way-regardless.....

I did notice the TM clean up that was posted up for 11-11-06, but that was the day we had put into play for running TM. I can lead him around most all of the 3-4 rated trails there, but really haven't run Collateral Damage, XXX, Bad Medicine or the like, out there. I've participated in the last two Public Lands Day 'Clean-ups' out there and don't feel like we would be stepping on toes, if we went out there to wheel on the 11th. (this trip was planned by Jason, prior to our knowledge of the clean up)

Again, I would appreciate 3-5 experienced drivers to roll with us, in order to make the runs fun and fairly fast. So, please post up your thoughts. Should we swap the days we run each area? Are there a few capable rigs wanting to show a newbie to our area, two good days of wheeling?

The idea is to make days fun and filled with multiple trails. I'm always up for running a new trail and look forward to wheeling with some old friends, again.

Jason is used to running the Hammers and Moab. He's got a very capable Rubicon Unlimited, running custom 60's front and rear. He's running a custom stretched Nth Degree kit with body armor, beadlocks, OBA and On-board Welder. He's got his act together and is a very capable driver.

I needed to post this up now, so that I could get an idea of who may be interested in going and what some of your ideas may be. I will be leaving Phoenix on Wednesday night, 10-25-06, to leave for the South Kaibab. If I have a successful Hunt, I'll be out sooner than later and will most likely be able to make both days. However, I do need to plan on being away from the computer through 11-5-06. So, I'll post up again upon returning and we'll get it ironed out, then.

I do like running with the Chickens and would really like to show one of their own, a great time while in Phoenix.
Thanks,
Huck

Huck
10-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Well,
It looks like JD will be out at the Desert Splash and Rich is working. Is anyone free on Friday to lead something out in FJ? Please let me know. I'm leaving for the hunt tonight and will check back upon my return.
Thanks for looking:D ,
Huck

RufftyTuffty
10-25-2006, 09:09 PM
What are the specs of his rig?

I wheel some Friday's.

~Mike

Huck
10-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Mike,
I listed some of his specs above, but I'll recap them here.
His base rig started as an Unlimited Rubicon.
It now has custom 60's front and rear. He was running 40's, but I heard he down sized to 35's. He's got a Stack3, Custom stretched Nth degree LA, OBA, Premier Welder, Fully amored and flat fendered. He runs a Ham radio and may have a CB, too. He's also setup up with front and rear winches, plenty of recovery gear and an automatic tranny.

I happened to get into Flagstaff and see your post. I'm still trying to find a deer with some antlers upon its head. Once I do, I'll be back in town and ready to finalize things a bit. I may even be able to snake some time off on Friday, if I get lucky.

Jason is a good guy, personable and easy to get along with. He's comfortable in precarious situations and will be trailering his rig out there.

It would be great if you would be up for wheelin on Friday. It will take some pressure off of me and will allow Jason to have a good time (instead of driving around trying to find the trails).

Thanks,
Huck

RufftyTuffty
11-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Okay...post up next WED/THUR and i'll PM you my cell #.

If i'm not broke...i should be running something on FRI.

~Mike

Huck
11-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the interest and the offer to go wheeling on Friday. I'm back from the hunt and the tag was filled. I've spoken with Jason. With the issues I have in being available Friday and with the clean up on 11-11, he has decided to post-pone his trip. We'll get it rescheduled and grab a few more of the Chickens to make the trip out in Dec.

I wish I could have been free and there were a few more folks interested in hitting the trails this weekend with the weather being so nice. It's understandable with the clean up, etc. It'll be nice to clean the mud off of the heap and get it ready for the runs to come in December.
Thanks again Mike,
Huck

k7mto
11-07-2006, 02:49 PM
I do plan to run something mild this weekend (likely alone since nobody wants to join me) for a shakdeown run, but it'll be over here on the East side.

Given he's postponed the trip, keep me posted on when you reschedule as I should have had a chance to shakedown and work out any bugs by then.

lancetkenyon
11-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Hey Huck, not trying to hijack this thread, but where are the pics of the deer???

T.C.'S TOY
11-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Hey Huck, not trying to hijack this thread, but where are the pics of the deer???

HEY LANCE AIN'T SEEN YOU IN A YEAR .....JOIN US ON THE SQUEESE ROCK RUN............T.C.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Huck
11-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Matt,
Your presence is always appreciated and welcome. I'll keep you in mind and make sure you know about it, when its rescheduled. PM me about this weekend. I've got the kids with me, but Sheridan (the 9yr old) may be interested in hanging for something mild. I'm trying to get them out to the clean up, but they would only last for about 15 mintues and then give up and moan for the rest of the time we would be there.

Lance,
I do have a couple of pics, but haven't dropped them from the camera to the computer yet. Also, since I'm not a 'paying' member, I would need to manipulate them to get them posted. He was only a little spike. After 7 days in the woods, though, I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity. He'll make for some tender meat for the freezer and a fine addition to the Elk that's in there from last year's hunt. I do have a shot or two of the Deer hanging from the tree using my winch line. That winch is very effective for skinning game, among other things.....
I can work on posting a pic or two, but I'm not sure where to do it, off topic? It'll still gross out some folks, I'm sure anyway.;)
Be well,
Huck

RufftyTuffty
11-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Not going to be able to make it...seems i cursed myself...since i'm broke.

Need to fix tranny and the front truss :(

Hope you get out wheelin'

~Mike

SHNIPE
11-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Damn mike you did a number on it this weekend didnt yoU! was the crack just at the shifter or other spots as well?

RufftyTuffty
11-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Damn mike you did a number on it this weekend didnt yoU! was the crack just at the shifter or other spots as well?

Yeah...the trans has a 6" crack by the shifter and the front truss got ripped off completely...lucky i always carry a ReadyWelder.

DFRacing
11-08-2006, 06:44 AM
Yeah...the trans has a 6" crack by the shifter and the front truss got ripped off completely...lucky i always carry a ReadyWelder.

Mike I would be moving the winch attachment point from off the truss.;)

Huck
11-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Well Mike,
That's Murphy for ya. Just when you offer some assistance, you end up breaking your junk. At least you were out having fun. I do appreciate the offer. I'm going to get these guys to come back in December or lat Nov. to play. I'll post up, once the weekend is chosen.
Thanks again,
Huck