View Full Version : Twisted 2006-05-06 Part I

xFallen
05-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Looking good.

Oops.

Front dig pulls him through. Great job.

Mike entering

Dang. Not good.

Tire below the knob. Trying to get past this blows a D60 hub.

xFallen
05-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Barry entering Twisted :eek:

So far so good.

Still up on the line, more or less...but the day is young... :rolleyes:

Tire is up where it should be but the bumper is digging into the wall.

Trying to work past this and the rear drops into the crack. Had to get a tug to get past the knob. After that just drove out.

Barry

VIVIsectI
05-07-2006, 12:48 PM
you guys are nuts. That's not a road, its a canyon!

xFallen
05-07-2006, 12:49 PM

Cars are for roads. :D

This is an off-road route.

Barry

Jeeppeepin
05-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Nice run! You should ask Scott about the time a guy blew a D60 shaft and Mark jumped out of his shoe at Twisted! Funny story.

twstdtj
05-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Looks like you guys had a blast. After axles Ill be up for it :D

mingoglia
05-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Your D30 thinks you're a bastard.

I originally was going to buy a Warn front bumper but I decided last year not to because of how mangled yours was. At least with my stock bumper it will just buckle. For this very reason I've been shopping around for just the right bumper.

xFallen
05-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Your D30 thinks you're a bastard.

I originally was going to buy a Warn front bumper but I decided last year not to because of how mangled yours was. At least with my stock bumper it will just buckle. For this very reason I've been shopping around for just the right bumper.

I think the Warn stuff is nice, but the front does need capping. If you are going to really get into it you don't want anything in front of or behind the tire, no question. Anything much past the frame rails is excess.

For most stuff I think the Warn is great. I am just going to cut mine off at the frame rails or thereabouts and cap the ends. The rear will simply not be there at all sometime in the future.

Barry

tyota
05-07-2006, 05:26 PM
I love the way you refuse to get a front D60.................but I love how you beat your D30 to death:D:D:D
now lets go do the really hardcore trails like crown king or ooohh oohh I know Raw Deal!!:D:D

xFallen
05-07-2006, 06:05 PM
I love the way you refuse to get a front D60.................but I love how you beat your D30 to death:D:D:D
now lets go do the really hardcore trails like crown king or ooohh oohh I know Raw Deal!!:D:D

It isn't that I refuse to get a D60 front. But do the math -- its a pile of coin money no matter how you cut it. There is no D60 junk yard drop-in solution, and even starting from that you are going to drop a lot of cash into one before it can be used. It'll come in due time...

Except for the r&p, I haven't broken the D30 it since switching to Alloy USA shafts amazingly enough.

Barry

tyota
05-07-2006, 06:22 PM
either way it's awesome what you make your D30 do

Yogi
05-07-2006, 07:52 PM
It isn't that I refuse to get a D60 front. But do the math -- its a pile of coin money no matter how you cut it. There is no D60 junk yard drop-in solution, and even starting from that you are going to drop a lot of cash into one before it can be used. It'll come in due time...

Except for the r&p, I haven't broken the D30 it since switching to Alloy USA shafts amazingly enough.

Barry

Yeah, I was pretty impressed with what it held up to yesterday. I was sure something was gonna blow up when you had that tire wedged on the rock and your bumper in the rock... Heck, I thought I was gonna blow something up when I had to back up to get through twisted.:eek: That picture with my passenger rear in the air is kinda spooky.

Fun times, get to cuttin and that bumper and give it another go.:cool:

And Rachel, I think that was a toy axle, not a 60 but Im not sure... either way it was definitely funny:p

-Scott

xFallen
05-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I was pretty impressed with what it held up to yesterday. I was sure something was gonna blow up when you had that tire wedged on the rock and your bumper in the rock... Heck, I thought I was gonna blow something up when I had to back up to get through twisted.:eek: That picture with my passenger rear in the air is kinda spooky.

Fun times, get to cuttin and that bumper and give it another go.:cool:

And Rachel, I think that was a toy axle, not a 60 but Im not sure... either way it was definitely funny:p

-Scott

Yeah, I was afraid you were going to break something when you backed up too. That's a tough spot to get bound up in. Having that front/rear split is sure handy. Makes me reconsider my xfer case situation.

I dunno...I am almost afraid to take that poor D30 apart. Haha. One thing for sure, it is trail proven, huh? :D

Barry

DsrtJeeper
05-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Good job; Barry! I wish I had a dollar for each ney sayer that told me I couldn't do it with a Dana 30. Add that to running a 5-speed and you've broken all the myths! :D

Yes I do realize that bigger is usually better. ;)

xFallen
05-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Good job; Barry! I wish I had a dollar for each ney sayer that told I couldn't do it with a Dana 30. Add that to running a 5-speed and you've broken all the myths! :D

Yes I do realize that bigger is usually better. ;)

Thanks Eric. It was a blast. I swear I can drive that obstacle on Twisted without getting tugged past that knob. Might take a few tries, but I know it can be done with what I run now (maybe minus the front bumper :D ).

I think the upgraded axles on this D30 make a big difference, but understood, a properly sized axle is required.

Barry

DsrtJeeper
05-07-2006, 11:15 PM
If you'd like; I can look into getting you a front bumper like mine and Griswolds. My buddy may have another. If not; the Currie front bumper is very much like it with some added tubing. I think ProComp makes a bumper similar to mine also.

xFallen
05-07-2006, 11:27 PM
If you'd like; I can look into getting you a front bumper like mine and Griswolds. My buddy may have another. If not; the Currie front bumper is very much like it with some added tubing. I think ProComp makes a bumper similar to mine also.

Thanks for the offer. I think I will probably just cut the ends off my Warn and cap them. It is already tweaked and probably not readily saleable. If that doesn't work out I might try something else.

It'll really help once I get the front axle moved forward a few inches too.

Barry

mingoglia
05-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Uhhh, Barry, don't you think this belongs in the 2.5 - 3.5 trail run section? Mods, Mods. :) J/k.

Renob
05-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Uhhh, Barry, don't you think this belongs in the 2.5 - 3.5 trail run section? Mods, Mods. :) J/k.
Not according to this guy.