PDA

View Full Version : Lower Terminator

Wayco
05-03-2006, 08:34 PM
After following a thread in " Moderate Runs" last week, a few of us decided to go up to Table Mesa and see what we could get into, (and out of hopefully :D )
The meeting time had been changed yesterday by Etropic to 8 am but he didn't make it and our theoretical leader (Desert Rat) had not shown up by 9 so we went wandering around and found a hill to climb and eventually ended up at Lake Pleasant. But we returned to the air down site at 10 am to check for more Jeeps.
Since Rich was the only one that had been there before, and the only trail he could find was Terminator :eek: , we decided to give it a try. And am I glad we did! What a great trail!!
After Rich got his bearings and we found the entrance, he said we should all go down to low range and 50 yards later I could see why. This being the third "Difficult Run" that I had attempted, it gets your attention IMMEDIATLY.. This is nothing like Firebird!

So here is Rich on the main obstacle..
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/allands/8ff8f45d.jpg

I think this is why we ended up here, Rich REALLY wanted to do this rock with the oil spots all over it:D
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/allands/58657f65.jpg

Then Alan (DesertX04) followed him and got over on his first try:eek:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/allands/IMG_1498.jpg

The other Rubicon was Benny, (Squinko)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/allands/IMG_1493.jpg

And me (Wayco) in Hyjak
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/allands/STC_1502.jpg

I even got to use my new winch when I tried to follow Rich's line :o
this was the most challenging trail that I have ever been on and BIG THANKS to the guys that got me thru it

squinko
05-03-2006, 08:55 PM
I will get my pics up soon. I finally got that dang pin off of the disconnect and my tire ended up going flat when I pulled in the driveway. I had a great time. It was nice to get out and get my mind off things for awhile. Now I just need to work on those 35's:D I told the wife you guys said I had to have them, sooooo you know what to say if you ever see her.

Thanks,
Benny.

etropic
05-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Wow looks like i'm the jackass of the day!! Flamed in two threads at once !!

How did...

Does 10:00am seem a little late (just a question)

end up being... "etropic made me come at 8:00?"

also, If I had any idea you guys were running terminator (posted in the moderate section) I would have just minded my own business.

Seriosuly though, I hope you had fun, I hope you didn't wait around too long for me.

GREAT PICS !

peace guys

xFallen
05-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Looks like y'all had fun. There's a few more trails out there that you might have fun on too when you're so inclined. The ones I have in mind are similar in level to Lower Terminator (Moderate 3.5ish, not Difficult depsite the section this report is in) and a few that might actually get into legitimate 4.0 territory, depending upon how badly stacked they are on that particular day.

Barry

Wayco
05-04-2006, 06:43 AM
Thanks Barry, being a noobie to Jeeping in general, I didn't know that Lower terminator was rated 3.5ish :eek: I have been hesitant to join the "Big boys" out there, mainly due to my inexperience... It would be great if someone with your knowledge could lead a few of us on the "Moderate runs" out there.
Seems like every time the larger rigs go out, a big group slows the run down and it's no fun any more. :( At least that was my experience last November when I ran Firebird, what a circus that was... 18 rigs on that one.

xFallen
05-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks Barry, being a noobie to Jeeping in general, I didn't know that Lower terminator was rated 3.5ish :eek: I have been hesitant to join the "Big boys" out there, mainly due to my inexperience... It would be great if someone with your knowledge could lead a few of us on the "Moderate runs" out there.
Seems like every time the larger rigs go out, a big group slows the run down and it's no fun any more. :( At least that was my experience last November when I ran Firebird, what a circus that was... 18 rigs on that one.

The big dawgs are running some gnarly trails. I only get out with them peridoically myself and even then it is on "easy" 4.5-5.0 trails :rolleyes: :D or I end up doing more watching than driving.

I hear you on the big group thing. It really can detract from the fun, at least for me, unless of course that's why one went in the first place. That just isn't my gig. I like to go out and burn 3-4 trails in a day if possible, and certainly at least two if the trip is a...hrmm...learning or shake-down run. It depends on the motive of the dayor group, you know?

Anyway, there's a ton of people who are more qualified than I, but I'd be happy to get out and do a few more runs on these more moderate trails now and then. I can certainly help lead runs so long as the groups are small (6-8 tops) and the drivers are well prepared (spares and tools) and have good attitudes, and the rigs are reasonably trail-worthy (prepared for the type of trail being run). Things will break, people will have good and bad days, no question. :D

The last time out at Judgement Day I could not make the first fall even though I have done it effortlessly a half dozen times on trips prior. And, the buggy I was with flopped on that same fall. When I was with Mike I one time also on JD (we had run Lower Terminator that day also), he had to pull me off a stupid rock that I hung the rear diff on. I made a driver error by being lazy and even knew what was about to happen. Oh well. Stuff happens no matter who you are. :D Lots of things can be avoided though before you even get to the trail, and that's what I am talking about mostly.

We can even venture out to Florence and other areas when so inclined but with today's fuel prices and it being a 200 mile round trip for me it is an expensive proposition. :eek:

Barry