PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sycamore trash

macinyart
04-16-2006, 07:43 PM
I went out to Lower Sycamore on Easter Sunday, about two weeks since the major cleanup effort. The pictures are worth a thousand words.

I have several more photos of different sites. Interestingly enough when I was seen photographing a shooting area a white pickup advertising 24 hour emergency responses really bailed in a huge cloud of dust. I didn't take their picture, I was just taking shots of the shooting area.

SHNIPE
04-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Ill be down for a cleanup as long as i have enough warning in advance. I havent been able to get off work for the last couple of them but i love this area and would love to help out.

swhalin
04-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Absolutely incredible.... This kind of dumping will get trails closed.:mad: That kind of clean-up will require large capacity hauling. All I can offer is my two hands. Let me know if one gets scheduled.

Steve

FrenchChili
04-17-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm down for another cleanup...well actualy, no, I don't like to pick other people' crap....

How about volunter work that allows us to issue 'litering' tickets:D I got no problems camping out there with binoculars, pen, pad...

k7mto
04-17-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm down for another cleanup...well actualy, no, I don't like to pick other people' crap....

How about volunter work that allows us to issue 'litering' tickets:D I got no problems camping out there with binoculars, pen, pad...

You'd be better off with a video camera and telefoto lens. And don't forget firepower as some folks may not want video of them dumping garbage to make it onto the news or into the hands of law enforcement.

swhalin
04-17-2006, 03:41 PM
k7mto: x2

Always seems to be a multi-headed dragon... The responsible users pick-up their trash and others', and still get blamed, and punished (with closures) for the issue. Some may say 'that's life get a helmet'... but I say enforcement!!! If citizens can do it at the borders, why not in the rec areas? How do people not see the need for $$$ in this area (enforcement)??? Do we really need gates to keep out the riffraff? I have sent letters when requested and actually got a response from Ken Bennett, but no one else in that long list. Are they really listening? Have they(the politicians) never been out there?
And yes, i do understand the need for firepower unfortunately.
Sorry for such a rambling reply... just tired of stupid people screwing things up for the 'good apples'.

Steve:confused:

macinyart
04-17-2006, 10:40 PM
See new thread " Saguaro Coves Trash"

TickDontPick
04-17-2006, 10:48 PM
I almost can't believe anyone would be such a slob. It's really dissapointing when you take a trip to get away from it all and you see crap like that. I guess it reminds you of the world we live in :\

macinyart
04-17-2006, 10:51 PM
The photos I posted were only two of 16 separate dump sites. I ran out of "ownership" on the photos. I have more photos, but no ownership to post them. There was one car that was seriously vandalized the morning I was there, but I did meet a tow truck coming down the road as I left. The people who said they were with the damaged car said they had called a tow truck. I can send photos to whoever, beside myself, is interested in looking at trash.

CaptainMorgan
04-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Wish I still had my Dodge pickup, maybe when I get the Ford p and legal again I can come help you guys haul. This kind of thing makes all of us look bad even though I am sure all this junk had nothing to do with 4-wheeling

macinyart
04-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Captain,
Of course you are right about this having no basis in four wheeling. I have seen a lot of jeeps here in the Phoenix area and none have been loaded with this sort of stuff. But OTOH I have seen a fair number of pickups and haulers with this kind of stuff. It is possible that closure is one of the answers to the problem, but again OTOH that is exactly what we don't want. As swhalin said, it is a many headed dragon. The mess I saw in the coves came from a camping group, witnessed by a young man I met at the coves. If we complain too much closure might well occur. We are sort of at the mercy of those who don't give a **** about the areas. They are very short sighted selfish people. Take a look at I-17 northbound out of the Phoenix area for example. The trash pictured in Lower Sycamore was recently dumped but it took a pretty good truck to get that whole load in there. I don't have a really good answer aside from having an officer there on site 24/7 and we all know that isn't going to happen. Perhaps a couple of "high profile" arrests might make the news though.:confused: