PDA

View Full Version : Quick Reminder (RE: HB2686)

My1stJeep
04-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Just wanted to send out a reminder about HB2686, which is just SB1508 in disguise.

From what I have found out this bill is sitting and waiting, kinda in a holding pattern. It could rear its ugly head at anytime before the end of session. We need to send polite reminders to our senators weekly that we have not forgotten about this, nor will we and without two key factors, a penalty for breaking the rules and an addition of funding or the bill as it stands, will do nothing for OHV management in Arizona.

Please take the time to write our senators and include these two key factors as well as anything other ideas you see that need to be included. We need to let them know we are keeping an eye on this and that we do not support it at this time. As sneaky as our opposition is, a lack of follow up could be deemed a lack of responsibility on our part and they just may try and push this through. We need to let them know this is not true. Please ask for their continued support in defeating this bill without the additions.

Keep up the great work to all of you who are writing and calling in!!!!!!!!!!

Sandee McCullen
04-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Just wanted to send out a reminder about HB2686, which is just SB1508 in disguise.

From what I have found out this bill is sitting and waiting, kinda in a holding pattern. It could rear its ugly head at anytime before the end of session. We need to send polite reminders to our senators weekly that we have not forgotten about this, nor will we and without two key factors, a penalty for breaking the rules and an addition of funding or the bill as it stands, will do nothing for OHV management in Arizona.

Please take the time to write our senators and include these two key factors as well as anything other ideas you see that need to be included. We need to let them know we are keeping an eye on this and that we do not support it at this time. As sneaky as our opposition is, a lack of follow up could be deemed a lack of responsibility on our part and they just may try and push this through. We need to let them know this is not true. Please ask for their continued support in defeating this bill without the additions.

Keep up the great work to all of you who are writing and calling in!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Chris................ you are absolutely right on track. We must politely let our Senators know we have not backed out of this and that we appreciate their support.

An issue that could go either way but really needs our support that we should probably mention is: The "rules penalty" we're requiring to be part of this bill is simply a "simple majority" within the Committee of the Whole. To change the Gas Tax percentage from .55 to 1.0 will require a 2/3 vote of the Senate as a whole. Agencies and G&F seem to think this cannot be done. I think it can. If everyone continues to send their "reminders" and continue stressing "OHV ARE WILLING TO HELP SUPPORT THEIR SPORT" I think we may be able to make this work. Something to maybe mention in your "reminders" is if they feel they cannot "tax the public" any more it would be suggested that the Copper Sticker plan did NOT "tax the tax payer".......... it was simply "US paying to play". "US supporting our sport". Somehow this thought slipped out of the proposed plan. These guys have an issue with a "tax" but for some reason cannot see that a "use fee" is not on anyone other than those actually using it.

As many of you have received recently the response from Senator Ken Bennett is quite a feather in our cap since he was one of two sponsoring the original SB1508. He diligently tried to get the changes OHV requested but it seemed he bucked Senator Flake all the way. Don't get me wrong......... I think Senator Flake realizes the need for OHV support but he's listening to folks that simply don't understand the underlying issues.

Many THANKS to all of you that are continuing your quest!

More as I learn..............

azrubyman
04-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks Chris................ you are absolutely right on track. We must politely let our Senators know we have not backed out of this and that we appreciate their support.

An issue that could go either way but really needs our support that we should probably mention is: The "rules penalty" we're requiring to be part of this bill is simply a "simple majority" within the Committee of the Whole. To change the Gas Tax percentage from .55 to 1.0 will require a 2/3 vote of the Senate as a whole. Agencies and G&F seem to think this cannot be done. I think it can. If everyone continues to send their "reminders" and continue stressing "OHV ARE WILLING TO HELP SUPPORT THEIR SPORT" I think we may be able to make this work. Something to maybe mention in your "reminders" is if they feel they cannot "tax the public" any more it would be suggested that the Copper Sticker plan did NOT "tax the tax payer".......... it was simply "US paying to play". "US supporting our sport". Somehow this thought slipped out of the proposed plan. These guys have an issue with a "tax" but for some reason cannot see that a "use fee" is not on anyone other than those actually using it.

As many of you have received recently the response from Senator Ken Bennett is quite a feather in our cap since he was one of two sponsoring the original SB1508. He diligently tried to get the changes OHV requested but it seemed he bucked Senator Flake all the way. Don't get me wrong......... I think Senator Flake realizes the need for OHV support but he's listening to folks that simply don't understand the underlying issues.

Many THANKS to all of you that are continuing your quest!

More as I learn..............

Sandee,
Can you put a little detail around this tax thing you mention. This isn't a tax increase of any kind is it? Or is it increasing percenatge of gas tax fro OHV without increasing the actual taxes? If there is an additional amount going to OHV (the .55-1.0 percent), then I would assume that is a take away from someone elses planned funding. If so...I could see where that would lead to an additional tax to make up the difference. If not now, then down the road....
Thanks,
Ken

Sandee McCullen
04-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Sandee,
Can you put a little detail around this tax thing you mention. This isn't a tax increase of any kind is it? Or is it increasing percenatge of gas tax fro OHV without increasing the actual taxes? If there is an additional amount going to OHV (the .55-1.0 percent), then I would assume that is a take away from someone elses planned funding. If so...I could see where that would lead to an additional tax to make up the difference. If not now, then down the road....
Thanks,
Ken

I guess in a way by increasing the amount OHV gets from the Gas Tax would in a way take from somewhere else but that is the reason we pushed for a Copper Sticker plan where OHV "ONLY" pay for their own.

In 1991 the tax was actually 1.7% but the Senate then reversed it to .55% even after it was recommended to be increased to 1.9% because of the need for management. If this percentage could be increased to 1.0% (less than a % of 1% increase in 14 years) it would certainly lessen the problem land managers face regarding ?how? to manage OHV today and into the next few years.

This increase wouldn't increase the total "TAX" on gasoline....... only the percentage OHV would receive. It would take from the ADOT dollars but the small amount this amounts to certainly isn't big dollar impact to anyone. If not here.......... where does OHV receive dollars to educate riders? Or develop riding areas; or maintenance; or law enforcement. The Federal Highway Dept. give millions to the states for OHV use. Shouldn't the states help?

azrubyman
04-15-2006, 11:28 AM
I guess in a way by increasing the amount OHV gets from the Gas Tax would in a way take from somewhere else but that is the reason we pushed for a Copper Sticker plan where OHV "ONLY" pay for their own.

In 1991 the tax was actually 1.7% but the Senate then reversed it to .55% even after it was recommended to be increased to 1.9% because of the need for management. If this percentage could be increased to 1.0% (less than a % of 1% increase in 14 years) it would certainly lessen the problem land managers face regarding ?how? to manage OHV today and into the next few years.

This increase wouldn't increase the total "TAX" on gasoline....... only the percentage OHV would receive. It would take from the ADOT dollars but the small amount this amounts to certainly isn't big dollar impact to anyone. If not here.......... where does OHV receive dollars to educate riders? Or develop riding areas; or maintenance; or law enforcement. The Federal Highway Dept. give millions to the states for OHV use. Shouldn't the states help?

Thanks for the great reply Sandee. And yes, this state should help more than it does.
Ken

My1stJeep
05-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Just wanted to send out a heads up as it has been a couple weeks since this was brought up and I don't want our senators to think we forgot.

If your senator has voted this down and is in support of continueing to vote it down with out the necessary changes please send a thank you for continued support.

If your senator is like mine and voting for it, please send out a reminder that you would like them to vote no on it without the necessary changes and maybe ask for a meeting to discuss issues you feel are important.

Please don't let this one fall off your radar or we will lose alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1