PDA

View Full Version : Agua Fria / Bradshaw Foothills Planning Responses Due!

Sandee McCullen
03-20-2006, 10:48 PM
REMINDER.........
Your responses to the proposed plan for the Agua Fria National Monument and your favorite riding area...... TABLE MESA is needed NOW. The deadline is March 30.

The proposed plan (alternative E) looks good until you really get into the cross checking of what they're claiming. Where those of us that attended the planning meetings several years ago when we specified "OPEN AREAS" or "SPECIFIC OHV AREAS" they now claim this never happened and there are "no areas conducive to this planning." That's rubbish!!!!!!!!!!

They are eliminating "competitive events in most areas"; "rec permits for club annual events" only in select areas; trails within the Agua Fria have all but been elimiated....... 4 miles for OHV?????

ALL areas around Boulder Creek are deemed off limits due to "possible desert tortoise". We MUST catch them in this... They claim OHV impact but they are planning on matching all OHV trails with non-motorized trails. Hey BLM, sometimes we can SHARE!

For your information in formulating a response:

Aqua Fria National Monument and Bradshaw-Harquahala Management Plan

Here are different comments you can use to send an email letter on. Please follow the outline letter and email or snail mail your comments in by March 30th.

For emails :
Phoenix BLM Field office
Attention Chris Horyza
I support alternate E from your choice of alternatives. Please include the following comments.
I ride (or ATV or 4wd) in this planning area and would like my concerns added to the Planning Document comments. (pick a comment or comments below or write your own)
I am a participant in motorized Racing events and would like my concerns addressed in your document where my sport is concerned please included more motorized events in your planning and in more of the planning areas.
Please allow Motorized events and increased motorized use in the Vulture mine area. With the increased participation in motorized use and the constant expansion of urban areas existing Motorized opportunities are decreasing.
(if you belong to a club please include that too)
Send your emails to:
AZ_AFNM_Bradshaw@BLM.gov

CC to Elaine Zielinski State BLM Director @Elaine_Zielinski@BLM.gov
To Bill Gibson State OHV director @ bill_Gibson@BLM.gov

For Snail mails :
BLM
Attention: Chris Horyza
21605 North 7th Ave.
PHX. AZ 85027
I support alternate E from your choice of alternatives. Please include the following comments.
I ride (or ATV or 4wd) in this planning area and would like my concerns added to the Planning Document comments. (pick a comment or comments below or write your own)
I am a participant in motorized Racing events and would like my concerns addressed in your document where my sport is concerned please included more motorized events in your planning and in more of the planning areas.
Please allow Motorized events and increased motorized use in the Vulture mine area. With the increased participation in motorized use and the constant expansion of urban areas existing Motorized opportunities are decreasing.
(if you belong to a club please include that too)
Snail mail to :
BLM
Attention: Chris Horyza
21605 North 7th Ave.
PHX. AZ 85027

Planning Document Comments

1. I am a participant in motorized Racing events and would like my concerns addressed in your document where my sport is concerned please included more motorized events in your planning and in more of the planning areas.

2. Document addresses primarily non-motorized use. Please dedicate the same time and effort shown to non motorized use to use motorized users.

3. Long distance trails connecting dispersed, not boxed in, motorized recreation areas.

4. We are a recreation not an impact ..please apply the same consideration to Motorized as you do to non motorized.

5. Please allow Motorized events and increased motorized use in the Vulture mine area. With the increased participation in motorized use and the constant expansion of urban areas existing Motorized opportunities are decreasing.

6. Please keep the Badger Springs Jeep trail open, in AFNM planning. Please keep access to trails open to non-licensed OHV use.

7. Please keep long distance trails open to Tonto National Forest From the Aqua Fria National Monument.

8. Please keep existing inventoried trails throughout the Planning areas open to motorized use. Include long distance connecting trails to other agency lands where borders are shared.

9. Please construct a parallel motorized trail to the Black Canyon Trail for long distance trails in this area.

10. Provide for a staging area just off of I17 and Bloody Basin Road for OHV and equestrian / load /unloading. Not all will use the high clearance vehicles mentioned. Restrict to street licensed use only.

11. Request powerline utility corridors be open to multi use (including OHV) as an additional transportation route.

12. You show that in the AFNM , there are only 4 miles of ATV or Motorcycle trail, how was this number arrived at? What was the total number of inventoried trails in the AFNM? Where is the data from the Trails evaluation in the AFNM that designated the 70 miles of trail closure?
We also ask you to allow Badger Springs Wash (includes jeep trail to river) to remain open for OHV recreation use. Mitigate impacts thru; seasonal closures, interruptive sites and interruptive maps /educational materials.

13. I am a participant in motorized Racing events and would like my concerns addressed in your document where my sport is concerned please included more motorized events in your planning and in more of the planning areas.

14. Vulture mine area would be a possible location for a OHV open area. (Open plain south of Vulture, in the flats)
Your planning document does not address the need for this type of recreation area and it is an important type of recreation that if not give a managed area to play , will create its own areamore than likely not where you would have wanted it.

If you don't take the time to write......... you WON'T like what happens to TABLE MESA for OHV recreation!!!

Thanks to all who take the time to write!

Stu Olson
03-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Folks....this IS very important.

Lots of us recreate in the Table Mesa area.

Like Sandee said, if you don't step up and voice your comments, you won't like what someone else decides for you. :eek:

DO IT NOW!

Stu Olson
03-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Folks....this IS very important.

Lots of us recreate in the Table Mesa area.

Like Sandee said, if you don't step up and voice your comments, you won't like what someone else decides for you. :eek:

DO IT NOW!

Sandee has provided excellent comment ideas. Take 5 minutes and make your voice heard NOW!

Sedona Jeep School
03-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Sandee, Thank you for the letter format and comments list--there were several things in there that had not occurred to me. I will be adding to my letter before sending it off.

azrubyman
03-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Letter sent.
Come on everyone! As Sandee, Stu and so many others have stated.....this is of the utmost importance to all of us.
Thanks, Ken

rockwerks
03-26-2006, 07:58 PM
sent in email and letter

AZXJ
03-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Done and forwarded this on the the ArizonaXJ club as well..

1BLKJP
03-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Sandee, mines been done done for awhile now. But folks this is one of the most important things we will work on this year so please get your comments in.

Stu Olson
03-28-2006, 07:59 AM
Here is a copy of what I sent to the address provided by Sandee. Feel free to use it as a template, if you wish....but please change the applicable sections and add your own comments too. Sandee gave some excellent talking points above....USE THEM!

========================================

To whom it may concern,

I am writing in regards to the proposed Aqua Fria National Monument and Bradshaw-Harquahala Management Plan. Of the alternatives offered in the plan, I support alternate E with the following additional comments.

A little background.I am an avid 4 wheeler that frequently recreates in the Table Mesa area, among several others. As of April, 2006, I have lived in our wonderful state for the past 20 years. Ive spent many a Saturday exploring the area, enjoying the old mining trails and the views that they offer, with both my family and my friends. I camp, prospect for gold, visit historical sites, rock crawl, site see, and just plain drive the trails during my trips into the area covered by this plan.

It became obvious to me, during the Aqua Fria National Monument and Bradshaw-Harquahala Management Plan workshop that I attended in Prescott, that many others share the same enthusiasm in regards to OHV travel. Be it a couple of friends spending a day together on the trail on their quad or Jeep, or a much larger event that draws many participants, the need for increased OHV trails and recreations areas are needed. Concentrating or restricting use to a couple of small areas and trails was determined to cause many more problems than it solved (per the workshop participants). Distributed use over a very large area reduces impact and allows for a nicely dispersed recreation population.

The workshops (I attended two of them) were dominated by motorized OHV recreationists, yet the proposed plan seems to come up very short in the motorized use area. I never see people walking the trails at Table Mesa. Why so much attention to non-motorized use in the plan? It is obvious that someone must have misplaced all of those good ideas that everyone contributed at the workshops. This is indeed unsatisfactory. Time to dig them up and put them into the plan, which is what we were so many times promised when we came to the workshops. If you dont tell us what you want, we wont be able to put in the plan. Chris Horyza.are you reading this?

Motorized OHV is growing by leaps and bounds. If you doubt this statement, drop a phone call or two to a couple of the big OHV dealers (motorcycles and quads in particular). Providing a sufficiently challenging and numerous dispersed areas for this kind of recreation is every so necessary. When you dont provide the necessary land resources, people will (and do) make their own. Neither you nor I want this. An area such as that which exists in the Vulture Mine area, is suitable for such a recreational resource. How about it?

I also ask that you not only keep existing inventoried trails throughout the planning areas open to motorized use, but that you make provisions in the plan to allow new trails to be created in cooperation with the motorized OHV community. As I previously stated, motorized recreation is increasing and with it, the demand for new and challenging trails. Please consider expanding the technical trails available for those OHV users that participate in rock crawling. Likewise, we need long distance connecting trails to other agency lands where borders are shared. I recall participants in the workshop addressing this very issue. A matrix of cross connecting trails provides the OHV user with choices and variety.

The alternative has some 4 miles of ATV and motorcycle trails indicated in the Aqua Fria national monument. While I do not recall the exact number (shown on the maps at the workshops), I know that the inventoried trail mileage was far in excess of 4 miles. How were these trails so radically reduced? This is also not satisfactory.

Boulder Creek and its adjacent areas, located in the Table Mesa region, provides many excellent rock crawling opportunities for those folks which favor this kind of recreation. Ive recreated in this area countless numbers of timesand I do mean countless.over the years. While I am always on the lookout for wildlife, Ive yet to find myself sharing a trail a desert tortoise. Where is the scientific study data with numbers to support the idea of making Boulder Creek off limits to motorized use? The OHV community has grown ever so tired of maybe turtles, could be owls, or only plant species in the world alerts. Sure, it is easy to pass this stuff off but it is not at all convincing. Restricting access to Boulder Creek because of a possible tortoise.I am not buying into it.

In summary, I urge you to address the above comments and make provisions for them in the plan. Pretending OHV doesnt exist and therefore doesnt need very many resources will doom this plan to failure BEFORE it ever sees the printer.

A resource management plan that manages for the present AND plans for the future is our goal, right? Lets make sure that happens in the Aqua Fria National Monument and Bradshaw-Harquahala Management Plan!

Sincerely,

Stu Olson

jeepsonly
03-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Sent! Thanks for the post you guys.

My1stJeep
04-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Just a heads up. The current option that the land management is pushing for in this area will eliminate most of our current trails, and stop the issuance of the permits for events like the Jamboree, Spook Rally, etc... If you don't want to lose these we need more letters and contact to stop this.

This is not a do it later item, we are currently sitting in a losing pattern of a plan that is less then 2 years away from implementation, we are too far into the process to wait any longer, we need the letters now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have so few that have been sent in that they don't have a reason to alter the option they are endorsing at this time, it is going to take a huge effort on our part to send in letters and make calls and contacts with the LM to change their opinion and get a better option put in place.

Please don't delay on this...

Sandee McCullen
04-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Just a heads up. The current option that the land management is pushing for in this area will eliminate most of our current trails, and stop the issuance of the permits for events like the Jamboree, Spook Rally, etc... If you don't want to lose these we need more letters and contact to stop this.

This is not a do it later item, we are currently sitting in a losing pattern of a plan that is less then 2 years away from implementation, we are too far into the process to wait any longer, we need the letters now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have so few that have been sent in that they don't have a reason to alter the option they are endorsing at this time, it is going to take a huge effort on our part to send in letters and make calls and contacts with the LM to change their opinion and get a better option put in place.

Please don't delay on this...

DEADLINE FOR RESPONSES IS TODAY...... TODAY.......TODAY........... APRIL 5, 2006.
There is a list of issues you can use in your response or for information only. Stu wrote a good letter as have a few others but the underlying issues within the preferred alternative E are not in our favor!!!!!!!!!! You WON'T LIKE WHAT IS COMING FORTH WITHOUT YOUR RESPONSES. THIS IS TRULY IMPORTANT FOR ALL OHV IN ARIZONA.

Symon623
04-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Messages sent from 3 e-mail addresses Sandee.

My1stJeep
04-05-2006, 03:55 PM
I hope everyone sees this (shameless bump to the top) as we need the comments in ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't delay or it will cost us dearly!!!!!!!!

There are a couple examples of letters sent in already, take from those, make it your own and send it in!!!!!!!!!!