PDA

View Full Version : Environmentalists get their due:

SavageSun4x4
03-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Last night on TV, Discovery channel the season premier of a show called I shouldnt be alive. This episode was about an Australian hiker and environmentalist Warren MacDonald who meets Geert Van Keulen another enviro-hiker from the Netherlands on the island of Hinchinbrook off the coast of Australia. http://wikitravel.org/en/Hinchinbrook_Island The island is uninhabited and is a rain forest. The only hiking path is around the outskirts of the island. In the center of the island is Mount Bowen, el 3700, that does not have a path to the top, but they decide to hike up anyhow by following a creek that flows down from the top. These two came to the island to hike alone for a week and just meet on the beach.

These people are as prepared for this hike as a guy in a Yugo heading to Moab to drive Hells Revenge. They head out and figure it will take two days to summit the peak and two days to get back to catch the ferry back to the mainland.

Dark comes early to these two whackos and they make camp to spend the night. Well mistake 1 other than going to the island is making camp in the middle of a creek in the middle of a rain forest. Late that night Croc-adillo Dundee decides he needs to take a wiz, mistake 2. Not wanting to contaminate the creek with his PP he decides he needs to walk at least 50 meters past the edge to relieve himself. As a side note: Urine is sterile upon discharge from the human body, so taking a wiz in a creek in a rain forest is not gonna upset the environment. Wonder what he would say if you asked him if bears sheet in the woods?

Whacko Warren is making his way across the creek and into the woods without a light or shoes, mistake 3, but being the good enviro he is, he didnt bring one, mistake 4. He is traversing the creek like a drunk on a set of roller skates. He makes it to the bank, which are large granite boulders. No problem he thinks as he goes to climb one, which became bad day at black rock when the boulder breaks loose and falls on him pining his legs under it. He screams like Devil-man without a beer. This aint no rock he just stubbed his toe on, its a 1000 + pound boulder laying on his legs. His buddy wakes up, finds him and they figure they need to use a lever to lift it. Being the good enviro-whackos they are neither saw nor axe is to be had, in fact only his buddy has a knife and that is because someone gave it to him.

His buddy heads out and leaves Crockadillo behind, just as the rain begins. Remember, he is still in the creek and the water is rising fast.

His friend heads back and some 40 hours later shows up with a couple of helicopters. They save him barely, but he loses both legs in the process.

Lack of preparations of any kind, stupid mistakes, and a clearly asinine attitude almost got both of them killed. If either of the blokes had, a Jeep with some big IPF offroad lights and a Warn winch, Crockadillo would not be walking around on sticks today. On the other hand, he could have just PeeD in the creek and then rolled back over and gone to sleep.

azdesertrhino
03-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Lack of preparations of any kind, stupid mistakes, and a clearly asinine attitude almost got both of them killed. If either of the blokes had, a Jeep with some big IPF offroad lights and a Warn winch, Crockadillo would not be walking around on sticks today. On the other hand, he could have just PeeD in the creek and then rolled back over and gone to sleep.

A couple of cliches' come to mind here.

1) You can't cure stupid!

2) There is no dumb *** vaccine!!

BB1
03-11-2006, 07:58 PM
I would have peed in the creek. I hate to get out of the rack in the middle of the night just to pee, Let alone to go for a hike in the middle of the night just to go pee. I don't feel sorry for the guy. He's an enemy to my freedom. I guess I'm a mean person.

T.C.'S TOY
03-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Last night on TV, Discovery channel the season premier of a show called I shouldnt be alive. This episode was about an Australian hiker and environmentalist Warren MacDonald who meets Geert Van Keulen another enviro-hiker from the Netherlands on the island of Hinchinbrook off the coast of Australia. http://wikitravel.org/en/Hinchinbrook_Island The island is uninhabited and is a rain forest. The only hiking path is around the outskirts of the island. In the center of the island is Mount Bowen, el 3700, that does not have a path to the top, but they decide to hike up anyhow by following a creek that flows down from the top. These two came to the island to hike alone for a week and just meet on the beach.

These people are as prepared for this hike as a guy in a Yugo heading to Moab to drive Hells Revenge. They head out and figure it will take two days to summit the peak and two days to get back to catch the ferry back to the mainland.

Dark comes early to these two whackos and they make camp to spend the night. Well mistake 1 other than going to the island is making camp in the middle of a creek in the middle of a rain forest. Late that night Croc-adillo Dundee decides he needs to take a wiz, mistake 2. Not wanting to contaminate the creek with his PP he decides he needs to walk at least 50 meters past the edge to relieve himself. As a side note: Urine is sterile upon discharge from the human body, so taking a wiz in a creek in a rain forest is not gonna upset the environment. Wonder what he would say if you asked him if bears sheet in the woods?

Whacko Warren is making his way across the creek and into the woods without a light or shoes, mistake 3, but being the good enviro he is, he didnt bring one, mistake 4. He is traversing the creek like a drunk on a set of roller skates. He makes it to the bank, which are large granite boulders. No problem he thinks as he goes to climb one, which became bad day at black rock when the boulder breaks loose and falls on him pining his legs under it. He screams like Devil-man without a beer. This aint no rock he just stubbed his toe on, its a 1000 + pound boulder laying on his legs. His buddy wakes up, finds him and they figure they need to use a lever to lift it. Being the good enviro-whackos they are neither saw nor axe is to be had, in fact only his buddy has a knife and that is because someone gave it to him.

His buddy heads out and leaves Crockadillo behind, just as the rain begins. Remember, he is still in the creek and the water is rising fast.

His friend heads back and some 40 hours later shows up with a couple of helicopters. They save him barely, but he loses both legs in the process.

I SAWTHAT TOO DON, WOW WHAT A LAUGH,THEM TWO DUMMY'S BRAKING THERE OWN ENVIRALMENTAL RULES HUH???.....THOM

Wildcat455
03-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Don, the armchair survivalist...

I will remember your wisdom the next time I am hiking..."watch for falling boulders"...

What a cheap shot.

What? You can't see the multitude of mistakes the hiker was making? Or, do previous disagreements with Don cloud your vision, insight and common sense??

Am I missing some sarcasm, or did a few smilies not make it to your post?

Seriously, John.

SavageSun4x4
03-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Don, the armchair survivalist...

ARMCHAIR my fcking ase!

I didn't spend 13 years in the Infantry sitting in an armchair, maybe in a sling seat in a chopper enroute an insertion at a hot LZ. Sorry, but I have worn out more boots and straps on a rucksack than you have tires on your bicycle.

Just in case your curious: Boots will last about 60 days, laces less than 30 and that is not walking on pavement. Nylon shoulder straps on an Army rucksack will wear thru in about 30-45 days, T-6 alum frame, and rucksack itself, less than 90 days.

Of course, that is in a combat environment.

John, your softer than a way too ripe grape and I have shaken your hand. Gawd, thought I had grabbed hold of a limp Richard. Heck, John, if you even try to pick up a combat ruck it would rip your arms out of their sockets. Your arse would drag so hard sheet would run out your butt like crap out of a goose on Christmas morning. My rucksack would pull you back so hard your bellybutton would stick out like it had a hard on and your eyeballs would stand out on stems if you could get them out from under that steel pot. Your ankles would crush like aluminum cans and your kneecaps would pop off like the lid on a can of beans gone bad.

RokNRich
03-12-2006, 09:21 PM
I love this site...........lol

k7mto
03-12-2006, 10:28 PM

Kind of ironic that most of the **** being slung around here are by guys named Don and John :D

http://www.donsjohns.com/images/products/standard/const_blue_plastic.jpg

Nothing personal, guys - just ribbin' ya to lighten the mood a little ;)

My1stJeep
03-13-2006, 08:47 AM
John,

You are upset at the post Don put out, yet you post things bashing our President, other wheelers etc... and that is ok??? Sorry John but you can't have it both ways, Don posted up a story of two morons that are supposed to be leaders and set examples of what to do and they simpley fell short on that. A cheap shot is twisting someones words around to meet your own opinion, this one needed none of that since they did a whole host of things wrong all on their own.

Even though I disagree with you on your views of the President I still thought one of the Jokes you posted was funny. Since Don not list you on his original post, why are you upset? If you can't see the ironic humor in it (and the message to be prepared), I would suggest you yourself not post anymore of your jokes until you can get it. If you can not laugh at yourself first, don't laugh at someone else.

Antman
03-13-2006, 09:19 AM

ME TOO! I learn something everyday! :D

SavageSun4x4
03-13-2006, 09:24 AM
In Don's typical fashion, he exaggerates the mistakes... and takes a cheap shot at a man who now has no legs.

I did not overstate their mistakes nor did I take a cheap shot at stick man.

Now lets get this straight: I land on an uninhabited island 150.58 square miles in size to spend a week there with no knife, flashlight, rope, Warn winch, snatch block, nothing but some food and a change of clothes. I meet another guy a Dutchman, who is doing the same thing, but somebody gave him a knife. So between us we got a few cans of beans and a pair of BVD?s. What are we going to do, fart out way to the top Mt Bowhard. Yea these folks are right out of the book of Dummies Hiking. Maybe they should have picked up Hiking for Dummies instead.

And you are telling me I took a cheap shot at stick boy.

What these guys did was like a flea crawling up a elephants hind leg with rape on his mind.

Me I am just looking forward to their up coming adventures, Stick-boy and Tulip breath at Disneyland.:D :eek:

My1stJeep
03-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Now that was a cheap shot at Disneyland!!!! LOL :D

azrubyman
03-13-2006, 11:03 AM
I was having a not so fun day. During lunch I switched over to the good old AZVJC and BAM..my blues are gone and LMAO with this thread.
:D
Ken

Wildcat455
03-13-2006, 02:42 PM
You know, John, the guy was walking in a RAIN FOREST barefoot at night with no light, and he was probably half asleep! Perhaps if something poisonous bit him prior to him attempting to climb a loose boulder and then pulling it down on him, he'd just be dead and not an amputee...

And for what? Because perhaps he was less than knowledgeable about the impact of his urine? With that kind of logic, maybe he should have brought some "Containers" with him to "pack out" his excrement??

Crawldit
03-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Let's not forget the fact that these guys allowed their story to be aired on a show called "I shouldn't be alive." I would consider that acknowledgement that they are a couple of *****hats who made stupid enough mistakes that they shouldn't still be alive. I wonder if they made sure that the rescuers cleaned up their mess after using those hydrolic jacks to lift the boulder off of his legs. Wouldn't want any grease to get into the creek that he just spent days pissing, crapping and bleeding into :D ;)

FrenchChili
03-13-2006, 05:27 PM
LOL this club rocks

some hikers have the Stupidness Disease

then again: Some jeepers just can't get rid of Flexing Disease

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/pics/crash24.jpg

sorry...i'll shutup now

FrenchChili
03-13-2006, 05:40 PM
...or not

Greenie jeeper avoiding to create deeper tracks:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/offcrash/crash/jeep.jpg