PDA

View Full Version : Burro deaths - reward posted

jeepsonly
02-28-2006, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure if this belongs in Land Use but it's coming from the AZOHVC (http://www.azohvc.org) and it was done near a popular OHV trail area.

-------------PASTED----------------

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

$800 REWARD
__________________________________________________ _________________
Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition is offering an $800 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons involved in the killing of 6 wild burros in the area identified below:

North of Lake Pleasant, just east of French Creek Road, near the old landing strip located 4 miles past the end of the pavement on Castle Hot Springs Road heading toward Crown King.

It is believed the burros were shot and killed sometime between November 2005 and January 2006.

If you have any information on this crime, please e-mail Arizona Trail Riders or Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition at:
www.arizonatrailriders.org Attention: Land Use Officer
www.azohv.org Attention: President

You can also inform law enforcement officials by contacting the following agencies:
Bureau of Land Management, Phoenix District at 1-800-637-9152
Arizona Game and Fish Department at 1-800-Vandals

Thank you for your support and remember to
Tread Lightly!

------------END OF PASTE--------------

1BLKJP
02-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks for posting that Bill. There's a Bill being passed around right now that will hopefully let Fish & Game get these people who poach and take animals that there is no need for.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/DocumentsForBill.asp?Bill_Number=HB2129

k7mto
02-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Sandee had posted this info last week on the Yahoo board...

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/az_vjc/message/116520

The idea was to take donations folks offered to rent space for the BLM meeting (which wasn't needed) and add it to the reward being offered (in the name of AZVJC). Unsure if it's been done yet or not, but thanks, Bill, for posting it here for more visibilty.

jeepsonly
02-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Just a little follow-up...there is some controversy about how much environmental damage wild burros do and whether or not they should be eradicated anyway. Steve Carmickle, the AZOHVC president noted that the reason the AZOHVC is participating in the offering of a reward is to show support to BLM managers of current policies...that the "OHV community supports the legal way of doing things". So no matter what one's view might be on controlling wild burros, it is currently against the law in Arizona to kill them this way.

86_Renegade
03-01-2006, 09:39 AM
I know this area well....we'd run the river wash that was n/w of Castle Hot Springs Road it's an un-named road. We'd bring out the BBQ in the summer and hang out till 2-3 AM. We heard the burros all the time back there, hope they find who ever did it!!!!!!
Brian

My1stJeep
03-01-2006, 10:50 AM
I second that, the part about finding who did it.

ROFLMAO
"there is some controversy about how much environmental damage wild burros do and whether or not they should be eradicated anyway."

This is funny stuff. Hmmmm, they are wild, this is their habitat, yet there is even a discussion by someone that they need to be erradicated? Kinda goes back to the eco-terrorist group that sued and won the removal of the beaver dams as they were not natural. That one killed off a species of fish in the ponds/lakes the dams created and that in turn killed off several eagles that fed off the fish. I am sure there is some logic behind that effort, just wonder if it holds any water... :D

Anyhow back on topic, I do hope they catch them, using wild animals for target practice is never the right thing to do.

Who over at the AZOHVC would I contact if I wanted to add to the reward that they are offering?

jeepsonly
03-01-2006, 12:59 PM
You can contact Steve Carmickle (AZOHVC President) at scarmickle AT msn.com (replace " AT " with "@").

ROCKFAN
03-02-2006, 06:12 AM
I second that, the part about finding who did it.

ROFLMAO
"there is some controversy about how much environmental damage wild burros do and whether or not they should be eradicated anyway."

This is funny stuff. Hmmmm, they are wild, this is their habitat, yet there is even a discussion by someone that they need to be erradicated? Kinda goes back to the eco-terrorist group that sued and won the removal of the beaver dams as they were not natural. That one killed off a species of fish in the ponds/lakes the dams created and that in turn killed off several eagles that fed off the fish. I am sure there is some logic behind that effort, just wonder if it holds any water... :D

Anyhow back on topic, I do hope they catch them, using wild animals for target practice is never the right thing to do.

Who over at the AZOHVC would I contact if I wanted to add to the reward that they are offering?

Some of the controversy here is that the burros are not native to the Sonoran Desert, or even the western hemisphere. They were introduced by the Spaniards in the 1500s - see http://www.desertusa.com/magjan98/jan_pap/du_wildburro.html (first hit on Google, probably many other references out there). The burros are native to northern Africa.

That being said, using wild animals for target practice, and leaving the bodies to rot, is just wrong and displays a bad image for all of us who like to visit the back country.

My1stJeep
03-02-2006, 08:04 AM
Good point, but if they have been here since the 1500's, when did we get here? Maybe we should not be here either. How many other species of animals showed up after them, horses, cows, people, birds, fish???? I think if they have been here that long surviving in this desert they belong here. I have seen a few when traversing around lake pleasant and enjoy seeing them there. JMO

I agree, target shooting any animal and leaving it to rot is not only wrong it is chicken $ hit. Leaves a bad image on everyone who enjoys the outdoors.

JamesT
03-02-2006, 09:13 AM
I think if they have been here that long surviving in this desert they belong here.

So using that logic, reintroduction of wolf spieces is a good thing to you?
Humans were the only thing that caused their demise.

My1stJeep
03-03-2006, 08:24 AM
There are good and bad to every animal. If we are going to pursue after all these years getting rid of burros who have been here for over 500 years, what other animals should we look at getting rid of? What will be the cut off, 500 years, 400 years, 800 years???

SO lets see, they eat plants so they will compete with farmers, which is worse coyotes and mountain lions or burros?

Yes they are wild and could possible hurt someone, then again so could a gila monster, rattle snake, mountain lion, bear, javalina, scorpion, road runner, etc... so do we eliminate all of the animals that could hurt us?

Where do we draw the line? I just don't see the burros having that much of an impact and making it unsafe for anyone, any more than any other species we have.

By the way, I don't think cows are native to Arizona either, not sure on that but pretty sure, so are we playing favoritism here as to who can stay and who should go?

JamesT
03-03-2006, 09:58 AM
I just don't see the burros having that much of an impact and making it unsafe for anyone, any more than any other species we have.

LOL
Then you have never camped at Almo Lake in a tent at the height of the burro mating season. I had no idea they were a problem until this happened to me. To my defense, at that time, I didn't know the animals caused those kind of problems and I didn't know it was mating season (I guess I need to pay closer attention ;) ).
Anyway, after that night, with a trampled tent and a dog that was almost dead, I left with a whole new feeling about wild burros.

I suppose next you going to say, I had no right camping in a tent by a lake. :p

My1stJeep
03-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Nope you have every right, I have done it. Had no idea they were so aggressive during mating season. Guess they saw you as another male and that made you a threat... :D

Then again we do have mountain lion and they may attack even if it is not mating season.

I do know one person who camped in Denali Center (is in Alaska), it is a wild refuge for bears. Loads of them in there, including Grizzlies :eek: , many attacks per year, why would you even think of camping there :confused: , but people do. I think I will take my chances with the burros... :D

Glad to hear you and the dog survived.