PDA

View Full Version : DUST... Another issue to CLOSE OUR LANDS

Sandee McCullen
02-18-2006, 06:10 PM
DUSTY, DRY and DUSTY! And closing the trails

Nothing worse than dust when you are following your buddies on a day of riding.
I dont know about you but it sure is hard to drink from a CamelBack when you have one of those paper masks under your helmet.
Its also hard to see the trail when you follow your buddies..and thats exactly the problem traffic on the paved roads that parallel the trails have, Visibility.
Has anyone noticed on their way home from their favorite riding area, the dust that other OHVs, ATVs , Motorcycles make when they ride the fence lines???
You might not but the rest of the world is watching and looking for another reason to close those trails.
Yes , I said CLOSE the motorized trails because of that dust.
Now unless you have been hiding somewhere , we have not had rain in Arizona for over 120 dayseven for Arizona , that is a long dry spell.
The trails and roads we ride and share with everyone else are now fine layers of dust that normally would not have formed and would have stayed as the glue holding everything together if we had our usual rain.
Maricopa County has failed the PM 10 Dust levels the EPA has set for the county and has adopted new standards (rule 310) for dust emissions and dust levels. And Dust is not only a Maricopa County issue, all counties will have Dust Issues.
YOU say who cares??
YOU should , because those standards apply to where you ride.
Every time the County gets a call that someone saw dust they have to go check it out , if the inspector feels the area is out of compliance, the land agency in charge of that land gets a letter of violation. ( NO they do not have to catch you riding and making dust).
So why should you care???
The more violation the land agency gets , the sooner fines start and they are BIG and the next step is CLOSED TO MOTORIZED.
CLOSED, like in no riding.

WHAT can you do??

First, STOP riding the fence lines and shoulders of the paved roads!!! The dust is visible to all who use the paved road and just about everyone has a cell phone now adays. All that dust is also a hazard on the paved roads because of visibility issues.
Second , when you go riding , drive in at least a mile and park , unload and stay at least mile from the paved roads or homes.
Third, out of sight is out of mind.
Fourth , hey it is dry out there, speed is a major cause of Motorized dust. SLOW down.

bruce farthing
02-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Sandee, my quads sit in by back yard becauce i'm tired of choaking on dust.

Waiting for rain
Bruce F.
01 XJ
05 Eiger
06 Eiger

Sandee McCullen
02-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Sandee, my quads sit in by back yard becauce i'm tired of choaking on dust.

Waiting for rain
Bruce F.
01 XJ
05 Eiger
06 Eiger

This problem is not exclusively due to the "no rain" situation. It happens all the time. Dust is a problem in Arizona and AQC has been pounding on us for a while. Jeff and I have been attending these da*mned meetings for several years.......... ORBA has attended a few for us......... ORBA stopped one regulation a couple of years ago when they wanted to close ALL dirt/gravel/dust causing roads to ALL motorized. PERIOD. Owners, agencies, companies would have to pave or treat ALL roads to their property............ can you imagine that? AQC still seem to do as they please and continue forcing tougher and tougher regulations down our throats. While in the Senate Hearing regarding the Copper Sticker bill last week AQC was asking for MORE restrictions......... it did get shut down but I hadn't even heard about this one. They are getting stuff done we don't even know about.

In most cases WE can reduce the issues by educating those that, in most cases, simply aren't "thinking". I've found most will wake up and see the picture if we'll take a minute or two to talk to them.......... this issue is normally directed to the ATV's but 4x4's fall into this as well. I've worked on several "Welcome" or "Meet and Greet" weekends on Castle Hot Springs Road......... what to guess how many Jeeps and full sized vehicles drive 45 MPH on the gravel road?............. DUST. We all have to consider this when we're out.......... as much as the fire hazards or safety. Not riding because it's our choice due to the dust is not the problem. The problem is not abiding by the rule........... "Out of sight, out of mind".

azrubyman
02-19-2006, 06:40 PM
A slightly different approach. Write your elected City, County and State officials and demand the following.

Dear "insert elected official",
There have been some recent publicized attempts by some to blame innocuous devices such as leaf blowers, lawn mowers and OHV use as the main culprits behind our dusty air. This is a ridiculous attempt by some to divert attention away from their own doorstep.....or construction site.
As a citizen of this great state, I am requesting that existing dust and airborne pollutant regulations not only be enforced at all active construction sites but strengthened as well to include revocation of building permits and/or contractors license upon 2nd violation of dust reduction requirements, whether they be local, State or federal requirements.
As a registered voter I would strongly support any building moratorium enacted in this state to curtail the dust pollution.
I do not and will not support further regulations to reduce OHV or lawn tool use as a way to reduce particulate pollution in our air.

Sincerely,
"Your name, address, phone number here"

Ken

Sandee McCullen
02-19-2006, 08:23 PM
A slightly different approach. Write your elected City, County and State officials and demand the following.

There have been some recent publicized attempts by some to blame innocuous devices such as leaf blowers, lawn mowers and OHV use as the main culprits behind our dusty air. This is a ridiculous attempt by some to divert attention away from their own doorstep.....or construction site.
As a citizen of this great state, I am requesting that existing dust and airborne pollutant regulations not only be enforced at all active construction sites but strengthened as well to include revocation of building permits and/or contractors license upon 2nd violation of dust reduction requirements, whether they be local, State or federal requirements.
As a registered voter I would strongly support any building moratorium enacted in this state to curtail the dust pollution.
I do not and will not support further regulations to reduce OHV or lawn tool use as a way to reduce particulate pollution in our air.

Sincerely,

Ken

You are right....... But.......... Dust is just ANOTHER excuse to CLOSE ACCESS so the agencies don't have to bother doing their jobs. The agencies really believe that if they find reason to close everything that OHV will go away. They are not fighting or even questioning the "dust regulations". We can write all the letters we want but DUST issues WILL CLOSE OUR ACCESS whether we like it or not. I'm not sure anyone has any control over AQC. Even with ORBA attorney sitting at the table they took the stand "we can and will do as we please". They did. ORBA stopped some regs but it's a continuing issue and ORBA Can't continue without dollars. I suppose we could go into a multi-million dollar law suit and most likely win but at this time with OUR people not dipping into their pockets to help out with the legal issues and ORBA can't take on mega million dollar projects for Arizona when Arizona dealers don't join. If everyone would take $5.00 or $10.00 from their pockets and every business would build $84.00 a MONTH into their expenses for ORBA, we would finally be in a position to match Sierra Club or the Center for Biological Diversity. Until we can step into those footprints we will continue to lose.

Sedona Jeep School
02-20-2006, 05:12 AM

Sincerely,

Ken
Excellent letter, Ken.

Dust clouds at popular OHV areas don't make people love OHV--do you think they are driving along the freeway, see the cloud of dust and say "Oh, look--this is cool--boy, those OHV guys are sure nice and responsible..." Individuals don't have to be reported or caught for it to reflect badly on any of us that venture off-pavement.

Sandee is right--whining about it won't get anything done. What can we do to alleviate the issue? How can we get the people riding right by the freeway to be considerate? Ride downwind? Dispurse the riding--there must be more places to ride further from the freeway (I certainly hope so--who wants to ride right next to the freeway?) And can't they drive slow for the first 1/2 to 1 mile until they are far enough away from the freeway to not cause a dust issue? Are there areas where everyone unloads that could be canvassed with these suggestions and the Tread Lightly message?

azrubyman
02-20-2006, 08:24 AM
Excellent letter, Ken.

Dust clouds at popular OHV areas don't make people love OHV--do you think they are driving along the freeway, see the cloud of dust and say "Oh, look--this is cool--boy, those OHV guys are sure nice and responsible..." Individuals don't have to be reported or caught for it to reflect badly on any of us that venture off-pavement.

Sandee is right--whining about it won't get anything done. What can we do to alleviate the issue? How can we get the people riding right by the freeway to be considerate? Ride downwind? Dispurse the riding--there must be more places to ride further from the freeway (I certainly hope so--who wants to ride right next to the freeway?) And can't they drive slow for the first 1/2 to 1 mile until they are far enough away from the freeway to not cause a dust issue? Are there areas where everyone unloads that could be canvassed with these suggestions and the Tread Lightly message?

I guess my approach is different and a challenge to the status quo. In addition to education and spreading the Tread Lightly message, I'm suggesting we take the offensive and go straight to the trough. The Capitols and address the issues every chance we get with our elected officials. Enough voter pressure on these folks can and does have a ripple effect down to the agencies that are ignoring us or using us for the scapegoats.
So consider my suggestion as a much needed "addition to the other suggestions" and not as "an instead of ".

Ken

Rbear44
02-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Sandee and Stu you are completely right about the dust causing us problems off roading. If no one has read the Republic today, Dust clouds force Goodyear to ban ATVs in Gila River bed .
This is only a beginning and not an end to areas that will be closed because some don't want to take the extra effort and move away from the highways and housing areas or in some cases JUST SLOW DOWN.

FrenchChili
02-20-2006, 09:55 AM
In my area there's a lot of construction going on...You should see how they use no water or very little to settle the dust...this is very poor planning and bothers me more to see dust in residential areas than a cloud of dust that's just moving across the highway. People are blaming us for dust, well they should look across their street.

azrubyman
02-20-2006, 10:58 AM
I listen to the radio often and have only heard about businesses being fined for dust issues.

I am sure OHV use is to blame as well.

How do you even address the question of what "causes" the most dust? Is that even "measurable"???

Probably not. It more than likely relies on anecdotal evidence, as Sandee mentioned.

Ken, your letter seems to conjure up some a relation between construction companies and these OHV complaints. Is this really the case?

My point is this: Not only are people complaining about high levels of particulates, but the EPA is casting the critical eye on the valley because we are consistant failures at keeping our air clean. In true Arizona political fashion, the powers that be immidiately start foaming at the mouth and pointing fingers at the main culprits...NOT.
Because the culprits are the sand and gravel industries, the home builders and the freeway builders. Talk about the folks with money....the developers and construction industry are the folks that run roughshod over our state legislature. Puts our poor pols in a bad situation, so in order to look like they are doing something, they raise a ruckus about OHV use and lawn mowers or leaf blowers thus diverting attention away from the real culprits. Do I have a mult million dollar 5 year study to back that up. Nope and I don't need one either. Stevie Wonder can see what is happenning. So unless we start a two or three pronged approach to adressing our issues we are doomed. We need the public, the legislature and the land agencies feeling the pressure.
Ken

azrubyman
02-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Right on Ken...Love the passion brother...

However I wasn't asking about a study, nor who was "causing" the problem. It most likely is a combination of factors. Maybe that did nto come across from my post...The real issue seemed to be the complaints, no?

WHO is making the complaints/bringing action about dust...citizens (i.e. your average Joe Blow) or construction companies?

The complainers no doubt are the EPA and I'm sure local homeowners and the occasional highway driver that gets dusted. The issue however is that Politicians, the media etc get ahold of a small local issue and blow it out of proportion for reasons I list in the case of the pols and the newspaper rags in the valley...do it just to sell an extra copy or 2.
Ken

My1stJeep
02-20-2006, 02:01 PM
For any of you doubting Thomas'

From Today's azcentral.com / The Arizona Republic

Dust clouds force Goodyear to ban ATVs in Gila River bed

Christine L. Romero
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 20, 2006 12:00 AM

GOODYEAR - Dust fueled anger when the Goodyear City Council essentially banned all motorized vehicles in the Gila River bed. Rogue riders could face steep fines and possible jail time.

Worried about air quality, Maricopa County officials threatened the city with daily fines of up to $10,000 if the dust kicked up by ATVs along the bottom of the river continued. County rules forbid "fugitive dust" from vacant lots and open areas.

The Goodyear ordinance, unanimously approved last week, forbids motorized vehicles on undeveloped property that is closed to public use without written permission from the property owner. advertisement

Goodyear Police Chief Mark Brown said his department has the staffing and is prepared to enforce the rule.

Starting Saturday, police began warning riders. The officers will try to educate the riders, but the department will track those who have been issued warnings, Brown said. Future violations could cost up to $2,500 in fines and six months in jail.

Goodyear police won't chase the riders and create more dust. Instead, the department plans to record license numbers and send warning letters.

The ATVs kicked up so much dust at times that it was difficult for drivers on Estrella Parkway to see. The dust also is a health hazard for people with allergies, asthma and other medical issues, officials said. Some also worry about the environmental damage to the Gila.

Goodyear resident Linda Illies said the dust along Estrella nearly forced her to drive off the road. She argued that it's not fair for the fun of some people to hurt others.

The Estrella Mountain Ranch resident said she sees a lot of damage along the bed of the Gila.

"It's just disgusting what has happened," Illies said.

But Lew Coleman, also of Goodyear, disagreed. He said he rides ATVs with his family. As a father, he tries to teach team building and good ethics about being in the open space. He said he promotes keeping open space clean and insisted the ATVs shouldn't be banned.

"I believe the ordinance you have before you is a permanent solution to a temporary problem," Coleman told the council.

Councilman Fred Scott, a doctor, said the dust is dangerous and has health effects similar to secondhand smoke.

Councilman Rob Antoniak said the council has a fiscal responsibility to the city and cannot afford possible fines up to $10,000 daily for air-quality violations.

DsrtJeeper
02-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Somebody needs to inform the droves of newcomers that Arizona is a desert. :rolleyes: If you don't like it; LEAVE!

That is all.

1BLKJP
02-20-2006, 02:39 PM
For what it's worth on this issue of dust, they did a very good job of keeping the dust down out at the Average Joe's Competition this weekend. Any time there was a break in the action they had the water truck out there to keep the course clear of dust.